Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon today, 4-18
According to our local weathermen (ok, weatherpeople) today was suppossed to be the least windy day of the week, with warm temps...Fooled a bunch of us out there, except for about a 45 min. period of extreme calm starting about noon...and it was COLD at 0800 when I arrived, so with that, and the wind, I puttsed around for 2 hours before launching...bigger boat not ready yet, so today was the canoe day, with elec. motor....Part of my puttsing was watching the local DNR workers installing the 2 larger boat slips, one on either side of the wedge dock...So Yes, as of today, they are installed...I tried to dodge the wind by heading to the East arm, trolling, had 1 hit there an saw just 1 boat catch a fish there...wind got bad there...I headed to the now sheltering of Taylors's Fork...that was sheltered for about 15 mins; the wind shifted, and now this whole area was nasty for me... in my canoe...I know some of the bigger boats were'nt as bothered, but I pulled to shore for a break, lunch, and to change out batteries...sure enough, this was around noon, and now the whole res. got dead calm, and here I was, taking my break....I finished my lunch, hurried to change batteries, changed lures, fresh bait, took off 2 jacket layers (it was warm now), and headed back out thinking now what a great day this was finally going to be...Well..then the winds started again; slowly at first....now I was trolling back along the West shoreline, towards the dam area...I'd had a couple bites here earlier, and almost had 1 in the net....Winds getting stronger, I figured to get closer to the dam, and then cut across the res. and head back to the ramp....What?...my pole's jumping, third hit on my 'chartreus flashassin'..this one stays buckled, slowly in the net...So I turned around (the wind turned me around) and re-baited, and soon got hit again, slowly working another good fighting 'bow to the net...he's just in the net, and my second rod finally goes off...this one is also hooked just good enough, and is welcomed aboard...Fun fish to catch, but this wind was not fun, so rods put down, and I cranked the elec. speed to #5 for the white-cap rocky ride back to the ramp...one boat was there when I pulled in, and they had done good on their catching, but with the wind, were having a hard time trailering the boat back on...We agreed it was time to get out of there....Quite the day, glad I went, but can't always count on the weather-wind reports...
I noticed the same thing on that wind report... I was hoping to get out, but when I seen the wind, I decided to get some planting done instead... figured the fishing would be a little difficult and knew the seeds needed to be in the ground... You're pretty brave to fight whitecaps in a canoe, but I know sometimes you don't get a choice when you're already out on the water... sure makes the rest of the trip hard though... My last trip ended with the 20+ mph wind pushing the boat cross ways as i tried to load it... Ended up off center, but rather than take a chance on damage reloading in the wind, I left it as an excuse that I need to go back and get it on straight... Only a mile and a bit from the ramp so I figured it would be okay for a short tow home... Hopefully soon there will be a less windy afternoon to try and get out... Glad you got some tugs for all the effort in the winds... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Sounds like a good day, all and all.  Any day you make it back to the ramp is a good day.

In your report you mentioned boat slips and wedge dock.  What is a wedge dock?
When I was at EC last year they had a double width dock on the ramp and another F shaped dock to the  East.
I guess some people call the wedge dock a 'courtesy' dock, and vice a versa....they are last to stay out in the Fall, and first set up in the Spring...
    Jeff ---- I do understand about the planting, prep work, etc.  I've been a master gardener with the USU Extension for over 15 years, and am hoping we'll have enough water to keep things healthy once they are planted...part of my reason for catching/keeping some trout over the ice season, and now this time of year, is to fillet and give a bunch away, and keep the carcasses for under the tomato and pepper plants..the best fertilizer I've ever used, been doing it for nearly 20 years...
Sounds like I need to get you and my daughter working together, she is in the master gardener program this spring and is going hog wild on a farmers market campaign for this year... I let her take about 3/4 acres of my farm ground to grow her produce along with the green houses and our garden space... So I think it will be a busy summer for all of us... I picked up a Jang seeder and I'm hoping it will allow the seeds to germinate well, it sure is easy to plant with... Do you mind telling me how you use the fish carcasses, how much, how deep below, directly below, to the side? Does it work best with one kind of fish verses the others? I've always heard of this fertilization method since grade school and how the Indians helped save the pilgrims by teaching them how to use the fish to grow better crops... but I've never tried it... Figure I ought to learn how to do this before my chance passes me by... I was amazed how well the horse manure worked last year, seemed to be a lot better than the commercial fertilizers... maybe because i wasn't afraid to use plenty... Got the goat manure and chicken manure planned for some of the crops this year, but always looking for the best stuff for each type of plant. Thanks for the tip... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Joe, I'm real interested to know, too. And Jeff, how did you use the horse manure?

So this fellow was out working in his yard when a guy came by with a wheelbarrow full of manure. The first guy asks him what he's going to do with the manure. The other guy replies he's going to put it on his strawberries. The first gay says, " I usually just put cream and sugar on mine!"
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(04-20-2022, 04:56 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: I guess some people call the wedge dock a 'courtesy' dock, and vice a versa....they are last to stay out in the Fall, and first set up in the Spring...
    Jeff ---- I do understand about the planting, prep work, etc.  I've been a master gardener with the USU Extension for over 15 years, and am hoping we'll have enough water to keep things healthy once they are planted...part of my reason for catching/keeping some trout over the ice season, and now this time of year, is to fillet and give a bunch away, and keep the carcasses for under the tomato and pepper plants..the best fertilizer I've ever used, been doing it for nearly 20 years...

Jmor-  Thanks for the clarification of the dock names. I’ve owned a boat for 35 years and never knew exactly what a courtesy dock is. I was thinking slips, where you can leave your boat for a minute. Makes sense it’s the wedge dock too. A wedge dock is shaped just like a wedge and usually is in the center of the ramp and has launching lanes on either side. Almost mandatory for me to launch with my kids. Deer creek does not have one and it makes launching and retrieve rough when solo.  Especially in Saturday’s wind fest…ask me how I know. However they do have the slips in.
We're talking about use of fish as a resource here, consumption and then garden fertilizer....and since this is a fishing site, a little garden use of the resource seems appropriate, especially to those of us who consider themselves 'Hunt/Fish/Gatherers'..... I prefer trout spp over panfish because of the larger amount of entrails, but overall, most any will work, just depends what you have....during the ice season, or Spring if it's too early to plant, I just freeze the carcasses whole...I've only been using this on pre-started plants, like tomatoes, pepper, eggplant,etc. So in my case, I have to figure out how many of those plants I'll be using, and divide by 2...ei. 12 tomato, 12 pepper, 6 eggplant = 30, div by 2 = 15 trout spp carcasses I'd need...After thawing for a day (protected from predators) I'll cut an average trout in half, and that seems to be enough per plant. Smaller fish maybe you'd want the whole thing, or 2 or 3 of small panfish..... 4 or 5 days before planting I dig all the holes, about 12" deep..place the cut (or whole) carcass in the hole, cover with at least 3" of soil - important, so predators don't come digging...you now should still have a 6 or 7" hole, deep enough for most of your transplants, in 4 or 5 days..that layer of soil also protects the young roots from direct contact with the carcasses, but allows them to find their way as nature and decomposition occur...So yes, I'm planting directly above...pretty sure this would also work well on seeds planted in a hill, ei. squash, cukes, pumpkin, corn, but I haven't...My first year trying fish carcass for fertilizer, I experimented by doing half with and half without, and the difference was very obvious, so now a carcass can be a good extra use of the resource..but it does get a little messy! ...Guluk...