Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric fillet knives?
I'm getting ready to head over to UL to catch some catfish. I usually don't keep any because I don't fillet very well and my family doesn't eat much. But my 5 y.o. great-granddaughter begged me to bring home some so she can see them. So I thought I'd go get a good electric knife somewhere local. I checked the internet to try to figure out good models. I suspect the only ones I can get around here will be Berkley and Rapalas. They don't seem to be very good from the reviews I read. So I'm asking all of you about your experiences. What would you recommend? What should I stay away from? I would hope to buy one for $50 or less but I realize I may have to spend more for a quality item.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have the Rapala electric. I fillet a lot of fish and have not had any complaints. I have no experience with others so I cannot compare, but I am happy with mine. I hardly ever use my old hand blade anymore except to gut at the Strawberry fish station as we are not allowed to fillet.
Happy with my rapala, have done quite a few fish with it.
I bought my first electric fillet knife about 16 or 17 years ago, I finally had to replace it last year, so I bought another one just like it. Mr Twister is the brand I've been using all those years. Sure can't complain about it, filleted thousands of fish with it and only replaced the blades once in all those years.
I've had the rapala one for years and I like it for the most part  It was in a kit with two sets of blades, one longer than the other. Only thing that I don't care for is that it has a vehicle cigarette plug insert power end on it.  You can use it by plugging it into the adapter as a 110v electric for use with a 12v battery. It will sometimes lose power if it comes unplugged just a little at the connector point.  I really love the pointed blades though and it has plenty of power.  I have filleted 1000's of fish and it is still going strong.

I also bought a Mister Twister at the NPS store in Layton a couple of months ago.  Great deal at $9.99 because the packaging was damaged. It was the last one.  I used it for the first time yesterday and liked that it plugged directly into the outlet.  I was cutting up suckers for bait and it cut well, lots of power, and worked well. I missed having a pointed end on the blade like the rapala blades.  I will use them both going forward.
My neighbor has a rapala with the adapter, that was given to him, we've used it on a ton of fish the last couple years and it works great.
(04-20-2022, 10:20 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I've had the rapala one for years and I like it for the most part  It was in a kit with two sets of blades, one longer than the other. Only thing that I don't care for is that it has a vehicle cigarette plug insert power end on it.  You can use it by plugging it into the adapter as a 110v electric for use with a 12v battery. It will sometimes lose power if it comes unplugged just a little at the connector point.  I really love the pointed blades though and it has plenty of power.  I have filleted 1000's of fish and it is still going strong.

I also bought a Mister Twister at the NPS store in Layton a couple of months ago.  Great deal at $9.99 because the packaging was damaged. It was the last one.  I used it for the first time yesterday and liked that it plugged directly into the outlet.  I was cutting up suckers for bait and it cut well, lots of power, and worked well. I missed having a pointed end on the blade like the rapala blades.  I will use them both going forward.

That is interesting. My Rapala plugs directly into the outlet - does not have the cigarette plug adapter. I have had mine for about 4 years - maybe older or newer model.
My neighbors is a older one, nice can use it from anywhere, I went with the cordless lithium ion, love it, costs a bit more than the corded ones.
Mine is cordless as well, but the battery is charged with a regular outlet
Mine is a Rapala HD12 cordless. It's meant for the bigger fish and has more power which I like....but I'll give you a minute to sit down I bought mine on black Friday at $139.99 down from $189.99 so I doubt that's the route you want
I have tried Berkley, Rapala, & Mr Twister.  This Bubba package blows them all away.  Just one man's opinion.   Big Grin

[Image: efk_case.jpg?sw=1000&sh=584]

You can have it delivered to your door by Sunday and it's on sale at Amazon Prime for $150: https://smile.amazon.com/BUBBA-Lithium-I...123&sr=8-5
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You're right, Justin, that's too rich for my blood. Maybe I'll just borrow yours  Big Grin.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Ford...Chevy...Dodge?  Just like vehicles, anglers tend to prefer what they have already owned...good or bad.   And it's difficult for a newby to electric knives to know what the real "issues" are.  In truth, most on the market will remove fish fillets faster, easier and more efficiently than a hand-held standard fillet knife.  Usually.  When I worked on California fishing boats I learned to use regular knives pretty efficiently.  But I now use electric and would never go back...at least for recreational angler use. 

Over the years I have used just about every make and model of electric fishing knife...in the quest for the absolute best.  I have had heavy duty 120 volt, 12 volt and rechargeable battery models.  Some of them worked great.  Others were disasters ergonomically...requiring pressing and holding two separate buttons at a time to fillet...and almost requiring a double jointed hand to operate them. 

Boiling it down to necessary, nice for nice or non-essential...budget is important.  Don't buy the absolute most expensive just because you want the status.  There are some very good electric knives on the market in the price range you are suggesting.  And you have had some good suggestions.  Just be sure to hold one in your hand and make sure it will be comfortable for you to use for an extended period of time.  You don't wanna end up hurting more than the newly filleted fish.

Me?   I learned a long time ago that good things ain't cheap and cheap things are often not good.  And I burned out a few of the lower end fillet knives proving that theory.  For the last 20 plus years I have been (heavily) using the American Angler line of fillet knives...both 120 volt and 12 volt...with a heavy duty motor.  And I have never had to retire one...even after I bought a new one in anticipation that the old one would die.  It didn't. 

Early last year I had some credits and bought a Bubba Blade electric...120 volt.  Not sure if I would have spent the bucks (well over $100) if I had to pay full retail.  But now glad I got it.  It has super power and great blades...and it just glides through the heavy rib bones on cats and wipers.  And it comes with several blade options for a wide variety of filleting needs.  And I know one of the best and most successful anglers on Willard Bay, who fishes it almost every day of the year and probably catches more walleyes than any other 10 WB anglers.  He has the cordless rechargeable Bubba Blade electric.  I have seen him go through a big double limit of walleye like they were hot butter.  True, he has skills.  But the quality, power and ergonomics of that knife make it much easier.
Just picked one up
[Image: 45-C7-F11-B-659-A-41-CF-A565-733-D6-EC26883.png]
I love my Bubba. It is always behind my back seat of my truck. But one time me and Obifishkenobi got back from Ice Fishing, I think Magic Reservoir. And our fish (big Rainbows) were froze. My Bubba wouldn't cut those froze fish. And Shawn asked if I had a regular fillet knife. I gave him my old Rappala and he had all 12 done in no time.
(04-21-2022, 08:26 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Just picked one up
[Image: 45-C7-F11-B-659-A-41-CF-A565-733-D6-EC26883.png]
That's a GREAT price.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Mine is on the way $113.39 just got to get some fish to try it on, Thanks for letting everybody know about it.
The best one is a cheap electric turkey carver from walmart won't break the bank and if you don't need it to be portable it will do anything these fancy schmancy ones will do. Can clean 30 white bass in about 15 minutes. A catfish about 20 seconds just start at the last rib bone near the sphincter and go to the tail leave it attached to the tail flip the meat side up and cut along the skin but not too close to remove the red meat which tastes like mud and do the other side the same way.
(04-23-2022, 09:01 PM)Lipnrip Wrote: The best one is a cheap electric turkey carver from walmart won't break the bank and if you don't need it to be portable it will do anything these fancy schmancy ones will do. Can clean 30 white bass in about 15 minutes. A catfish about 20 seconds just start at the last rib bone near the sphincter and go to the tail leave it attached to the tail flip the meat side up and cut along the skin but not too close to remove the red meat which tastes like mud and do the other side the same way.
Thanks everyone for your input. Lipnrip, can you more specific about the Walmart turkey carver? Brand name, etc.

(04-23-2022, 09:01 PM)Lipnrip Wrote: The best one is a cheap electric turkey carver from walmart won't break the bank and if you don't need it to be portable it will do anything these fancy schmancy ones will do.
Yeah - right!   Big Grin

[Image: Stir-the-pot.png]
Bob Hicks, from Utah