Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric fillet knives?
Like Tubedude, I've used many electric fillet knives beginning in 1989 in grad school where we cleaned thousands of perch and then for the last 30 years as a biologist. I've been through just about every brand (except Bubba, since that is a "newer" brand on the scene). I've burned out more brands than most people will ever even try. Hands down the winner in my opinion is the American Angler PRO series. This model has the heavy duty motor with much more torque compared to the regular American Angler, Rapala, Mister Twister, etc. I like the thin titanium blades for any fish here in Utah. They are not cheap (about $100 or so), but you get what you pay for. The Bubba model looks comparable but a bit bulkier? I don't like the battery powered onces since they weigh alot even wtih Lithium Ion batteries. I like the plug in models for doing a lot of fish. You can even hook some of the American Angler PRO knives up to a 12v battery and that works well in remote areas without 120v power.
(04-23-2022, 09:01 PM)Lipnrip Wrote: The best one is a cheap electric turkey carver from walmart won't break the bank and if you don't need it to be portable it will do anything these fancy schmancy ones will do. Can clean 30 white bass in about 15 minutes. A catfish about 20 seconds just start at the last rib bone near the sphincter and go to the tail leave it attached to the tail flip the meat side up and cut along the skin but not too close to remove the red meat which tastes like mud and do the other side the same way.

I totally agree, if you want to wait to get home to fellet. I got a Hamilton Beach electric knife for my wedding in 1976. I used it a year or two on turkey or ham. But a friend of mine showed me how good it works on crappy and walleye ( just like you, the flip over method)  and I used it for that until it got real dull. Then I bought a cheap Black and Decker. 
But until Tube dude showed us how to fellet catfish down at Lincoln Beach years ago, I thought the bones of catfish too hard for the electric knife and just used my old rappala. Never cutting through the bones.
That is where the Bubba shines. It used to take me well over an hour to fellet a limit of catfish.
Now I pull up by the dumpster at Lincoln Beach and have them felled and the carcuses in the dumpster in no time.
Ordered mine Friday about 10.00 Am and it was sitting on the front porch Sun at !0.00 Am. Now I going to have to take the wife fishing up to Willard for some catfish. Somebody s got to do it. hehehe.
My Bubba out performs my Rapala in most every way. Being fair though, the Rapala is an older gen than the bubba