Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three species day at Jordanelle
Ira and I got up to the Nelle this morning and met Liketrolling at the ramp at 6:30. We headed over between the dam and the pwc ramp. Things started off slow but after a couple of laps around that area we manage 5 bows, we moved over toward the cliffs and again it was slow but we picked up 5 more bows here and there but only one at a time, with the biggest being right around 18". We finally decided to move again and as we moved by an area close to shore, we finally found a group of biters, a brown, a koke and another bow, right in a row. We stayed in that area until 1pm, picking up two or three more bows, then called it a day. Wish there was better news on the kokes but last year started off slow too, so hopefully the koke catching will pick up as the water warms. Water temp was 42 to 44 degrees. We used a wide color range of squids and even an apex lure. All fish were caught between 5 and 20 ft down on riggers and side planers. Thanks Robert for another great day of fishing, hope to do it again soon, hopefully the next trip will be at the Berry.
At least you got 1 koke - any size? I had been watching the weather and figured Thursday would be better than Wednesday. Unfortunately last night the forecast changed to windy Thursday and I couldn't put things together fast enough to go today - too much work in the yard. So far it looks like the rest of the week is rainy so VerDean and I are looking to Monday or Tuesday. After that my attention will turn to SC.
Should be the time of year that you can pick up big bows on Marabou jigs, used to be my favorite time to fish for them in Montana
(04-21-2022, 12:19 AM)brookie Wrote: At least you got 1 koke - any size? I had been watching the weather and figured Thursday would be better than Wednesday. Unfortunately last night the forecast changed to windy Thursday and I couldn't put things together fast enough to go today - too much work in the yard. So far it looks like the rest of the week is rainy so VerDean and I are looking to Monday or Tuesday. After that my attention will turn to SC.

Here are a few pics I took today, including the koke by a tape measure

[Image: Nelle1.jpg]

[Image: nelle2.jpg]

[Image: nelle4.jpg]

Nice, looks like a great day
(04-21-2022, 12:28 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Should be the time of year that you can pick up big bows on Marabou jigs, used to be my favorite time to fish for them in Montana

I've never tried trolling marabou jigs but they could work in the right area.
[Image: DSC00882.jpg]

Yea, never trolled them, but casting did wonders with them, fish on every cast when you got the color right, caught some of my biggest bows on them
Thanks for the report. I'm not sure where the Kokanee went? The sure seem to have lockjaw lately.
(04-21-2022, 12:53 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: [Image: DSC00882.jpg]

Yea, never trolled them, but casting did wonders with them, fish on every cast when you got the color right, caught some of my biggest bows on them
I also like to use marabou jigs, and tie them as well. Do you have a favorite retrieve and color? I actually do troll them in a float tube and have some success. I also almost always use all white or all black.
Black and orange, yellow and orange, chartreuse and white were my favorite, I'd just cast and jig them back to me.
Dang was hoping to hear of a few more kokes but at least it wasn’t quite for you guys
(04-21-2022, 01:51 PM)2knots Wrote: Dang was hoping to hear of a few more kokes but at least it wasn’t quite for you guys

Yea, we were hoping the same thing but it just wasn't to be, at least on that day, sure hope this wasn't a sample of how this year will turn out, I guess time will tell.
(04-21-2022, 02:04 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Thanks for the report. I'm not sure where the Kokanee went? The sure seem to have lockjaw lately.

I think it all has to do with the numbers they are stocking:
Here are the numbers they stocked between 2019 and 2021.
2019--206,850
2020--132,000
2021--1,200,400

Those stocked 2020 are the ones we are catching this year and as you can see, they did not stock a lot that year.but it looks like next year should really be good. Makes you wonder why there is such a huge difference in stocking numbers for those three years. Undecided
(04-21-2022, 02:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 02:04 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Thanks for the report. I'm not sure where the Kokanee went? The sure seem to have lockjaw lately.

I think it all has to do with the numbers they are stocking:
Here are the numbers they stocked between 2019 and 2021.
2019--206,850
2020--132,000
2021--1,200,400

Those stocked 2020 are the ones we are catching this year and as you can see, they did not stock a lot that year.but it looks like next year should really be good. Makes you wonder why there is such a huge difference in stocking numbers for those three years. Undecided
Since Jordanelle is a "koke come lately" water...and not yet a "proven" koke fishery...it probably has to settle for whatever is available after DWR meets established commitments to other more established waters.  2020 may have been a year with poor production or heavier commitments elsewhere.  But their increased plantings in 2021...in a year with good fishing returns and heavy angler interest...seems to indicate that there will be more in the future.