Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon today, 5-2
Buddy and I hit E.C. this morning, late start at 0900...water very calm, sunny, very pleasant...VERY different from my solo trip in my canoe 2 weeks ago....canoe again today, as the bigger boat is still in for annual maintenance...I've had this wider canoe for over 20 years, and it works great on a day like it was today...occasionally it did get a little breezy, but nothing to put a damper on our outing...2 weeks ago I reported that just before time to quit, I got hit hard and fast at about 13 or 15', using about 1.5' of silver trolls, and my 'chartreus flashassin'...5 good hits and 3 netted in about 30 mins...So, that's what I started out with this morning...and it worked again...before my buddy had a hit, I already had 3 in the boat (canoe)...I released another, then retired it to try a few others, including a smaller black/silver Rapala, fished up about 7 or 8'...this got me 2 hook-ups...my buddy still hadn't put anything in the net, so I un-retired the 'chartreus flashassin' for him to try...worked for him too, now catching 3, and missing 3 other good hits off it...Later, I put on a smaller squid with lots of green in it,'watermellon', and I caught 2 on that presentation...my friend had 1 hit and miss on a pink squid, and I caught 1 on a pink 'X skull fly'... nothing big today, all 13 to 14", but nice fish....they'll be even nicer this Fall, if there's still water for launching...Please don't think I'm bragging, 'cuz the guys in a bigger boat coming out when we did, said they caught 22...but we did ok, and the main thing I'm telling you, is that something chartreuse, or with mainly green in it, has definitely been good here at E.C....We tried tipping with nite crawler piece, but all caught were tipped with pink Berkley maggots...Guluk...
Joe, Good going, catching, fishing, all that stuff. From your reports you seem to have them dialed in.

Having moved to Payson I don't even think of going up there any more. For trout, Deer Creek or Strawberry are closer and I seldom go there either. Utah Lake is so much closer and we can usually do pretty good there.

Keep it up Bud, rj
It always amuses me that so many Utahns equate "fish" with one - and only one - species.
(05-03-2022, 12:58 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Buddy and I hit E.C. this morning, late start at 0900...water very calm, sunny, very pleasant...VERY different from my solo trip in my canoe 2 weeks ago....canoe again today, as the bigger boat is still in for annual maintenance...I've had this wider canoe for over 20 years, and it works great on a day like it was today...occasionally it did get a little breezy, but nothing to put a damper on our outing...2 weeks ago I reported that just before time to quit, I got hit hard and fast at about 13 or 15', using about 1.5' of silver trolls, and my 'chartreus flashassin'...5 good hits and 3 netted in about 30 mins...So, that's what I started out with this morning...and it worked again...before my buddy had a hit, I already had 3 in the boat (canoe)...I released another, then retired it to try a few others, including a smaller black/silver Rapala, fished up about 7 or 8'...this got me 2 hook-ups...my buddy still hadn't put anything in the net, so I un-retired the 'chartreus flashassin' for him to try...worked for him too, now catching 3, and missing 3 other good hits off it...Later, I put on a smaller squid with lots of green in it,'watermellon', and I caught 2 on that presentation...my friend had 1 hit and miss on a pink squid, and I caught 1 on a pink 'X skull fly'... nothing big today, all 13 to 14", but nice fish....they'll be even nicer this Fall, if there's still water for launching...Please don't think I'm bragging, 'cuz the guys in a bigger boat coming out when we did, said they caught 22...but we did ok, and the main thing I'm telling you, is that something chartreuse, or with mainly green in it, has definitely been good here at E.C....We tried tipping with nite crawler piece, but all caught were tipped with pink Berkley maggots...Guluk...

Sounds like another productive trip Joe, I wonder if the kokes will show up there this year, Undecided I hope so. Is the water level still pretty low?
Another little story about this A.M. trip...My buddy was driving this day... we have an agreement that he drives in the Winter for ice fishing, I drive when pulling my bigger boat for open water fishing...this was his first time out after the ice season, and he'd been very used to heading South on the freeway as we were often going to Rockport for the perch, as heading out of Bountiful...So I'm not watching, but getting our breakfast bisquits organized in his truck, and he turns South again on the freeway...We're supposed to be heading North, to go up Weber Canyon to E.C., but we're chatting away, enjoying our breakfast, dodging traffic, discussing political issues, etc....We're driving past Park City, and it finally dawns on me - we took a wrong turn A LONG time ago...so now we're on the scenic route to E.C....we stopped and looked at Rockport; it looked like water levels were up alot....then continuing our loop, we drove past Echo, and that looked to have a lot more water in areas where there was none last year...then on to E.C. we took the short-cut through Hennefer, and that back road to East Canyon Res...Good scenic ride, nice to see water levels up at Echo and Rockport, but it didn't seem to be up much at E.C....

BTW----my favorite fish species here in Utah, would be (in approx. order) Kokanee salmon, perch and crappie and bluegill on ice, walleye, lake trout pups, wipers, trout species, and catfish...I will prepare and eat a trout once in awhile, but I fillet what I catch and give most away to the needy, or those who can't fish....My personal edible trout order would be (water conditions considered) lake trout pups, tiger or splake, cutts, brookies, then rainbows...and they are all good if prepared right...and they're all fun to catch....
(05-03-2022, 02:50 AM)Mr. J Wrote: Joe, Good going, catching, fishing, all that stuff. From your reports you seem to have them dialed in.

Having moved to Payson I don't even think of going up there any more. For trout, Deer Creek or Strawberry are closer and I seldom go there either. Utah Lake is so much closer and we can usually do pretty good there.

Keep it up Bud, rj
Rich, the only time I've been on Utah Lake in a boat, was some years back for duck hunting, and all we shot were a few mergi's...I haven't been back for the fishing, but from yours and others reports, it sounds like a good cat fishery...I know 15 or 20 years ago there was some commercial netting for carp...are they still a problem?... wasn't Utah Lake actually a huge cutthroat fishery in early Pioneer days?...are you trolling for the cats like at Willard or dead-sticking bait?
(05-05-2022, 04:37 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(05-03-2022, 02:50 AM)Mr. J Wrote: Joe, Good going, catching, fishing, all that stuff. From your reports you seem to have them dialed in.

Keep it up Bud, rj
Rich, the only time I've been on Utah Lake in a boat, was some years back for duck hunting, and all we shot were a few mergi's...I haven't been back for the fishing, but from yours and others reports, it sounds like a good cat fishery...I know 15 or 20 years ago there was some commercial netting for carp...are they still a problem?... wasn't Utah Lake actually a huge cutthroat fishery in early Pioneer days?...are you trolling for the cats like at Willard or dead-sticking bait?

Yah, there seems to be plenty of cats but like other species ya got to find em first.  There are still plenty of carp, guess there will always be some of those so if you want some, it's wide open. I think the carp netting ended last year. Cutthrout , suckers maybe were big years ago. If you are moving and dragging some sort of attractor or bait, I guess that's trolling. Yes we usually  drag our offerings, usually about .5-.7 MPH. When we suspect the cats are in the brush we don't hesitate casting to them.

I wouldn't have thought of you shooting Mergs!?

rj
(05-05-2022, 04:37 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Wasn't Utah Lake actually a huge cutthroat fishery in early Pioneer days?.
Yes, Utah lake was once full of BIG cutts...and lots of June Suckers.  I am attaching a writeup on the early history of Utah lake that has a picture of some of the big trout.  Also, if you've never watched it, you should check out the video UTAH LAKE LEGACY 

Attached Files
.pdf   OVERVIEW & HISTORY 2017.pdf (Size: 1.19 MB / Downloads: 9)
Hey T.D.--- tks for that 8 page PDF....very good reading, graphs and pics....I'll check out that longer video when time permits...Glad to know you've got a lot of history on that lake, and are keeping up with current issues that affect it now, and for future generations...tks again...