Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate thieves!
I just discovered that someone stole my safety chain from my boat trailer, either below American Falls or at our motel in Pocatello. I have been fishing in Idaho, since 2003, without any thefts and often leaving our camping gear and trailer in fairly remote areas. It is sure frustrating and dangerous (the theft of a safety chain).
Jerks! I hope it breaks on them when they really need it.
[font="Proxima Nova Regular", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][Image: NofG8Ks.jpg][/font]
UTAH WATER LOG
(05-03-2022, 10:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I just discovered that someone stole my safety chain from my boat trailer, either below American Falls or at our motel in Pocatello. I have been fishing in Idaho, since 2003, without any thefts and often leaving our camping gear and trailer in fairly remote areas. It is sure frustrating and dangerous (the theft of a safety chain).

Kent, when you replace it stop by my place and I will put a half inch tack weld between the chain and frame.
Never to be stolen again.
That's the best way to keep it safe while your at it have him put a tack on the handle for your wench,lost two of them wright here in Utah.
You don't have to go out of state to get things stolen it can happen wright here in Utah.
If your "wench" has a "handle" it's a guy.
(05-03-2022, 11:10 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(05-03-2022, 10:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I just discovered that someone stole my safety chain from my boat trailer, either below American Falls or at our motel in Pocatello. I have been fishing in Idaho, since 2003, without any thefts and often leaving our camping gear and trailer in fairly remote areas. It is sure frustrating and dangerous (the theft of a safety chain).

Kent, when you replace it stop by my place and I will put a half inch tack weld between the chain and frame.

Thanks for the offer. Do you live anywhere near Bountiful?
(05-03-2022, 11:31 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: That's the best way to keep it safe while your at it have him put a tack on the handle for your wench,lost two of them wright here in Utah. 
  You don't have to go out of state to get things stolen  it can happen wright here in Utah.

Thanks for the tip about the handle. I never thought about it.
Kent, sorry about the misfortune, but could have been a lot worse... I used to live in Logan by Willow park and after donating two stinger hitches I started putting them in with a bolt and lock nut... Prevented the theft, but sure was a pain in my shin because I couldn't 't easily remove it when I wasn't using it... Sad times when folks don't realize theft is wrong... As the old timers used to say the world is going to hell in a handbasket... Not quite sure what the handbasket is, but things are sure taking a turn for the worse... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-04-2022, 12:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:  after donating two stinger hitches I started putting them in with a bolt and lock nut... Prevented the theft, but sure was a pain in my shin because I couldn't 't easily remove it when I wasn't using it... 

Why not just use a locking bolt, I've been using one for years and it makes it great for easily removing your hitch and keeps you from banging up your shins, when you forget your hitch is there. I use one like this:
https://www.shophornetoutdoors.com/Recei...2a4bdd3ed7
That was years ago when I was just out of college and didn't have enough money to buy one, but I had a bolt and lock nut.... Used what I had... not sure they even had the locking bolts at the time... Now I only put the hitches in when I'm pulling a trailer... Thieves trained me to not leave anything easily available to walk off... unless I forget.... Had something stolen out of the back of my pick up while parked a the boat ramp at Willard north marina one time as well... but I've forgotten what it was, but it's kind of made me learn to not leave anything unattended... We left our tubes on the rivers edge at Oneida one time while we hitch hiked back to the top to get our truck and we got back just as some fine fellows were letting the air out of our tubes for us, so they said... Should have called the cops on them, they would have taken our stuff if we would have been five minutes slower... I hate thieves as well... Later J
(05-04-2022, 12:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Kent, sorry about the misfortune, but could have been a lot worse... I used to live in Logan by Willow park and after donating two stinger hitches I started putting them in with a bolt and lock nut... Prevented the theft, but sure was a pain in my shin because I couldn't 't easily remove it when I wasn't using it... Sad times when folks don't realize theft is wrong... As the old timers used to say the world is going to hell in a handbasket...  Not quite sure what the handbasket is, but things are sure taking a turn for the worse... Later J

I still say that. Sad but true.
(05-04-2022, 02:53 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 12:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Kent, sorry about the misfortune, but could have been a lot worse... I used to live in Logan by Willow park and after donating two stinger hitches I started putting them in with a bolt and lock nut... Prevented the theft, but sure was a pain in my shin because I couldn't 't easily remove it when I wasn't using it... Sad times when folks don't realize theft is wrong... As the old timers used to say the world is going to hell in a handbasket...  Not quite sure what the handbasket is, but things are sure taking a turn for the worse... Later J

I still say that. Sad but true.
I've always thought it meant that it was taking very little effort to move the World to Hell.  The 'handbasket' represents the effort, or the lack thereof, of getting it there.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(05-03-2022, 11:48 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: If your "wench" has a "handle" it's a guy.

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble. Big Grin
[font="Proxima Nova Regular", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][Image: NofG8Ks.jpg][/font]
UTAH WATER LOG
(05-03-2022, 11:58 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(05-03-2022, 11:10 PM)MrShane Wrote:

Thanks for the offer. Do you live anywhere near Bountiful?
No, I live in Riverton.
But, I work for free for friends if that makes your drive worth it?
Wise to lock and double check all hitch components not just for theft.

I don't know if it's any worse now then 20-30years ago. I used to spend a lot of time at Flaming Gorge in the 80s and 90s. One night someone stole several kicker motors right off the back of peoples boats tied up at stateline cove while they were sleeping 50 yards away. Another summer someone was pulling the pins out of your hitches while you were out fishing. Friction would hold them in while you loaded your boat and got a little way down the road then fall out while you were going down the highway. That was a very dangerous and malicious prank. Maybe your safety chain held maybe you lost your whole outfit. Either way your trailer Tongue needed replacing and you were stuck the side of the highway. One humorous prank we had happen up there was someone took all the coolers sitting outside folks campers and switched the contents around. We ended up with some ones orange soda and someone got all of our drinks. I still Smile about that one.

People are still people
Hey Bob thanks for the explanation, now i know the rest of the story... Along with those pranks, had a friend of my dad's that was always pranking everyone... He might have been a F&G officer, well as a get even prank someone connected a wire from his low beam head light to his horn, so every time he would switch to low beam the horn would honk until he switched back to high beam... Guess he wasn't real mechanical, so I hear he drove home bright lighting everyone he passed... Not sure which was worse that or the dead fish or mouse left on the vehicle heater coil... On my mission, they peeled all the labels off our canned goods, so dinner was always a surprise on what we'd be eating... along with powder sugar in our sheets in steamy Florida, that was just mean.... Later J
are we really talking about a trailer safety chain . are you sure it didn't just fall off driving down the road . seems like a pretty small thing to steal or loose.
(05-06-2022, 03:06 AM)mtncat1 Wrote: are we really talking about a trailer safety chain . are you sure it didn't just fall off driving down the road . seems like a pretty small thing to steal or loose.

Yes, we are talking about a trailer safety chain and it is nearly impossible that it could come disconnected on both ends [if one end slipped off (extremely unlikely) the other connected end would have kept it from falling off].  It had snaps that locked each hook onto the tow vehicle. I have learned that some people will steal anything, even though they have no use for it, just because they can steal it.
(05-06-2022, 04:11 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:  I have learned that some people will steal anything, even though they have no use for it, just because they can steal it.

I agree with that statement Kent but one thing that will provent at least the thieft of a safty chain, don't have both ends that can be removed. On all my boats, I have always had the end that connects to the trailer bolted on. Most thiieves want to make a quick grab and they are gone, standing around with tools in their hand trying to remove something draws attention and that is the last thing they want to do.
(05-06-2022, 01:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 04:11 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:  I have learned that some people will steal anything, even though they have no use for it, just because they can steal it.

I agree with that statement Kent but one thing that will provent at least the thieft of a safty chain, don't have both ends that can be removed. On all my boats, I have always had the end that connects to the trailer bolted on. Most thiieves want to make a quick grab and they are gone, standing around with tools in their hand trying to remove something draws attention and that is the last thing they want to do.

I will have it welded on when I get the chance.