Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard question...
Has anyone heard if/when they are going to open up the fish cleaning stations this year? 

If I fillet fish out in the middle of the lake (leaving skin on for ID) is it legal to toss the carcasses back in?
(05-06-2022, 01:50 PM)LundLefty Wrote: Has anyone heard if/when they are going to open up the fish cleaning stations this year? 

If I fillet fish out in the middle of the lake (leaving skin on for ID) is it legal to toss the carcasses back in?

I have not heard for sure but it's usually in May, likely later in the month. There is no reason to leave the skin on any fish you process out on the lake, there is no rules like that at Willard, only at Strawberry and maybe other slot cutt lakes, that I'm aware off and that is just so they can tell if you are taking slot cutts. I have never heard of any rules at Willard that would say you can't process your fish out on the lake.
And if you dig a bit in the fish proclamation booklet, they say you can and should put the remains back in the lake (Top right corner of page 21). But it also says you may not fillet fish while on the lake and in the act of fishing, so you'd be in violation if you fillet in the boat. Page 21 again.
(05-06-2022, 01:50 PM)LundLefty Wrote: If I fillet fish out in the middle of the lake (leaving skin on for ID) is it legal to toss the carcasses back in?
In some cases, YES; in other cases, NO.
2022 Utah Fishing Guidebook Wrote:Possession of filleted fish
While you are in the act of fishing, it is unlawful to possess filleted fish from the current day’s catch or fish that have had their heads or tails removed. This does not apply to fish processed for immediate consumption or from a previous day’s catch. At most waters, you may fillet harvested game fish, or remove their heads or tails, after you have:
•Completed the act of fishing
•Arrived at camp
• Reached a fish-cleaning station
•Arrived at a principle means of land transportation
At Strawberry Reservoir, Scofield Reservoir, Lost Creek Reservoir and Panguitch Lake, you may not fillet trout and salmon, and you may not remove their heads or tails while in the field or in transit.
Note: Do not dispose of entrails and carcasses on the bank. Leave them in the water where you caught the fish.
At Willard, clean 'em out on the boat and dump the waste in the water.  I do.  Seagulls, crawdads, and catfish thank you for the extra vittles.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have changed my way of processing fish.  I now bleed the fish in the livewell,  then put the fish on ice, When I process them at home,  I then bury the remains in my garden for fertilizer.  Helps my garden immensely.  There is little or no smell and they break down quickly.   The only fish I clean at the lake are perch, using the " clean a perch in 10 seconds" method on U tube.
So, as long as our fishing equipment is put away and we are ready to head back in, we are fine to process fish on our boats at willard. Now I know the rest of the story, thanks Bob.
I would not bet on a warden agreeing with your definition.
(05-06-2022, 05:54 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I would not bet on a warden agreeing with your definition.

IMO, I really doubt any game warden there would ever pay any attention to anyone processing any fish on the water, much less challenge you as you were leaving. Seeing as how they rarely challenge water skiers that are coming too close to other boats but I guess anything is possible.
You are probably right, since they seem to ignore the Happy Harvesters who take multiple bucket-loads of crappie and/or snag walleye out of Willard.
Just read the 2022 WB regs, only one walleye over 24".  Guess that nixes filleting on the water if the fish cops need proof of size...