Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discovering new things is half the fun!
I took a friend fishing Thurs. and when we got to the lake the wind was blowing 20 mph with waves. The small boat and trolling motor took forever to get to the opposite end of the lake but was well worth it! He had told me that there was very large crappie there last year and he was right. But more important to me was finding lure shapes, sizes and colors that got hit consistently.

Recently I started pouring clear soft plastic lures and doing as well as those with color. The thin round tail lure was made by dipping the front end of a mini-stick in hot plastic 2x. It caught pretty much all species in the areas fished.
[Image: innrxon-jpg.178658]

Another clear plastic design was what the mold company calls the Mojo Grub that has a flat thin tail:
[Image: ivcouv5-jpg.178660] [Image: enu4jhq-jpg.178661]

I have no idea where this came from, but I cut off the straight tail of the Mojo grub above and melted it together to a tapered plastic lure's front end:
[Image: ytml8zz-jpg.178662]
I gave one to the guy I was fishing with and he caught fish on every cast to the tune of 15 fish scattered around us in 4' or less! It included crappie(majority of fish), yellow perch and this large pickerel:
[Image: zqidhlb-jpg.178669]

Pickerel also struck a clear plastic curl tail grub.

A plastic finesse worm from Softylures.com did very well on a light jighead:

[Image: nxzxq6n-jpg.178664] [Image: prwriqj-jpg.178665]

I cut off the knob-shaped front end of the above worm and rigged it on a light jig. Another amazing fish catcher! Note the three species caught:
[Image: i5rlblm-jpg.178666][Image: nynufl7-jpg.178667] [Image: ucvwixu-jpg.178668]

I'm not saying that these lures are superior to lures other sd.com anglers cast, but for me, they open doors to what's possible and new - especially when many other lures don't cut it. Though we caught over fish that day, the circumstances were unique to this lake: an early-season pre and post-spawn bite in shallow (4') water. The schools of mixed species have been so incredible in different area that even a 3 y.o. could catch fish. I flipped to one small island of pads and caught 7 13"-14" crappie - a record catch for me!
Sounds like you guys had a great trip but you are brave to go out in 20 mph winds in a small boat, that is something I'd never attempt. 
Is a pickerel the same as a northern pike?
I would have left but my partner took the day off and convinced me to brave-the-waves. Worth it with over 186 fish caught/ 5 different species caught at the wind-protected north end. In fact, the wind in the last three days has been 15-25 mph, keeping me off the water regardless how wind protected.

N. pike and pickerel are very similar in appearance and both have razor sharp teeth! Not my choice of fish to have to unhook.

My guess is that pickerel don't get as big as N pike? From the pic they look very similar. We have N pike here in Utah but no pickerel.
Pike get much bigger and will do serious damage to the hand attempting to disgorge a deep set hook(s).
I might be interested.

I've posted extensively in this and other forums tips on how to catch fish. Find those posts and jot down ideas to try or ask questions about.
You have to start from somewhere and fishing is all about learning and relearning from experience. Discovery is half the fun and thrill of fishing.