Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow at Blackfoot
I'm so disappointed with Blackfoot Reservoir this spring. As good as we done last fall, I expected great things this year. But so far I haven't seen one rainbow. I took two trips up there and found it still iced over, trying to hit first ice off. Then Thursday I did get up and was in the water at 6:30 am. I started at the Dam and fished a couple places without a bite for two hours. Then I left and drove to my favorite spot. PD point. PD point is a grassy point about half way down the reservoir on the west side. It is a long two wheel trail through many mud holes down to the lake. And at the end it crosses a gate and private property. I had found gate closed and a no trespassing sign there the last couple times I tried to get there. But so far this spring the gate is open and no sign. I was told the owner, a farmer from Soda Springs, would let you go on his property if you found him and asked. It was open for fishing for the first 10 years I was here in Idaho. But some idiot had gone through the gate and left the gate open, letting his cows out. So he started posting his property.
So I get down to the lake about 9:30 and fish for several hours and only get a couple bites.

But Obifishkenobi was in town this weekend so I took him back to PD point. We were in the water by 6:00 and right off the bat I hooked a five pound cutthroat. Great start, but after that all we got was a couple bites and no fish.

I do have a photo of the biggest cutthroat I have ever got at Blackfoot Reservoir, but add image won't let me post.
That's not good, give it a couple weeks and it should improve, might be spawning now.
(05-08-2022, 06:19 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's not good, give it a couple weeks and it should improve, might be spawning now.

Lyle, They plant sterile rainbows in Blackfoot Reservoir.
(05-08-2022, 07:49 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(05-08-2022, 06:19 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's not good, give it a couple weeks and it should improve, might be spawning now.

Lyle, They plant sterile rainbows in Blackfoot Reservoir.

They still could go through a false spawn, couldn't they? I know wiper are sterile and they do a false spawn every year. 
Hopefully the catching up there improves.
Yes, they go through the motions, usually go back to where they were put in the lake, stocking records don't show them as triploids.
That makes sense. I wonder where they plant them????
[Image: amazon-photos-shared-media1413170864737167780.jpg]
Add image let's me post the picture today.
(05-09-2022, 02:10 PM)fast_randy Wrote: That makes sense. I wonder where they plant them????
[Image: amazon-photos-shared-media1413170864737167780.jpg]
Add image let's me post the picture today.

Nice bow. I can't speak for how Idaho fish and game does their stocking but here in Utah they usually stock them right at the ramp.
Most every place I've seen they put them in at a ramp.