Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minersville Intel?
Anyone got some tips on catching wiper/smallmouth at Minersville Reservoir? I'm heading there this weekend for a two-day excursion in the Yak, and I've got my heart set on some wiper with smallies to keep me occupied until I figure them out.

Not looking for anyone's secret sauce, just some good direction on time of day/style of fishing to get some Wiper in the net. 

Tight lines.
if it looks like a minnow, and it acts like a minnow, a Wiper or Smallie will probably eat it if it comes in front of them. It really is that simple. The hard part is knowing how to find them, and that takes more than this reply can provide.
For the smb -- pound the shoreline / structure.

For the wipers -- hold your mouth right.
Wipers have mostly eluded me the last year or so in minersville. Like has been mentioned above, it seems to be just lucking into them. Two or three years ago they were everywhere across the lake. Those were good times with a fly rod!
(05-09-2022, 06:32 PM)Saltslam Wrote: Wipers have mostly eluded me the last year or so in minersville. Like has been mentioned above, it seems to be just lucking into them. Two or three years ago they were everywhere across the lake. Those were good times with a fly rod!

Dang. That seems to be a pretty common trend with all these wiper lakes... I'm just a few years too late for the good stuff. 

Oh well, I'm pretty good at getting smallies to cooperate, so I'm confident if there's any bigguns in there I'll find them.

(05-09-2022, 02:53 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: if it looks like a minnow, and it acts like a minnow, a Wiper or Smallie will probably eat it if it comes in front of them.  It really is that simple.  The hard part is knowing how to find them, and that takes more than this reply can provide.

Do you know what the forage is like there? I assume crayfish, because everywhere has crayfish, but any amount of shiners/chubs? The DNR seems to think the wipers have completely removed the chub population, but I'm never confident that's the case coming from them. Shad colored jigging spoons and cranks should be good, right?
Might consider Newcastle. State record wiper came out of there and it's in the area.
(05-10-2022, 12:06 AM)ditchpickle98 Wrote:
(05-09-2022, 06:32 PM)Saltslam Wrote: Wipers have mostly eluded me the last year or so in minersville. Like has been mentioned above, it seems to be just lucking into them. Two or three years ago they were everywhere across the lake. Those were good times with a fly rod!

Dang. That seems to be a pretty common trend with all these wiper lakes... I'm just a few years too late for the good stuff. 

Oh well, I'm pretty good at getting smallies to cooperate, so I'm confident if there's any bigguns in there I'll find them.

(05-09-2022, 02:53 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: if it looks like a minnow, and it acts like a minnow, a Wiper or Smallie will probably eat it if it comes in front of them.  It really is that simple.  The hard part is knowing how to find them, and that takes more than this reply can provide.

Do you know what the forage is like there? I assume crayfish, because everywhere has crayfish, but any amount of shiners/chubs? The DNR seems to think the wipers have completely removed the chub population, but I'm never confident that's the case coming from them. Shad colored jigging spoons and cranks should be good, right?
Numbers of wipers in Newcastle is really high, but the amount of forage out there is also high--abundant golden shiners means tough fishing for wipers. Though, if you can catch one, you have a chance for a big one.

At Minersville, the numbers are lower but still some big ones there. The chub numbers at Minersville are really low right now, so less forage. The sleeper is Otter Creek...the biggest wipers out of all three are living there!
(05-08-2022, 07:15 PM)ditchpickle98 Wrote: Anyone got some tips on catching wiper/smallmouth at Minersville Reservoir? I'm heading there this weekend for a two-day excursion in the Yak, and I've got my heart set on some wiper with smallies to keep me occupied until I figure them out.

Not looking for anyone's secret sauce, just some good direction on time of day/style of fishing to get some Wiper in the net. 

Tight lines.

Go with mussels for the Wipers, power bait for the Trout. Better hurry though!
(05-23-2022, 09:32 PM)castnshoot Wrote:
(05-08-2022, 07:15 PM)ditchpickle98 Wrote: Anyone got some tips on catching wiper/smallmouth at Minersville Reservoir? I'm heading there this weekend for a two-day excursion in the Yak, and I've got my heart set on some wiper with smallies to keep me occupied until I figure them out.

Tight lines.

Go with mussels for the Wipers, power bait for the Trout. Better hurry though!

No bait at Minersville...fyi.