Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brief and bumpy at Utah Lake, 5/7/2022
Jon and I made an abbreviated visit to the Provo Marina on Saturday morning. The weather guessers said SW winds to 7 MPH early then changing to 11 out the NW about noon. We were both home well before noon, but we did have some fun and got to test the boat in rougher water! I forgot the video camera, but it would have just gotten wet anyway  Sad

We launched a little after 6 AM and the winds were 10 to 12 out of the SW. Since the winds were already higher than the forecast we only went a bit south of the Provo River and started in. Water was 61 in the harbor and 59 in the main lake.
We set up in 2.5 FOW hoping to find a white bass or carp for bait early. In the 30 minutes allotted we managed 2 bumps and one bullhead. We had baited 2 cat rods with thawed WB chunks and we traded out the two WB/Carp rods for more those, pointed the nose west and started dragging at around 0.7 MPH.

I had just commented that cats must have moved farther offshore anticipating the coming cold front when my back rod got a hit and hooked up with a nice cat. It was about halfway to the boat when Jon lurched for his back rod. Oh Boy, A double!
When we got them in the boat they were 28 and 27.5”. We were in 4 FOW when the twins bit. A little thinner than last trip, but still very healthy for May. By the time we got the rods back in the water the wind had switched to 10+ out of the NW and the water temp was down to 56 degrees.

Another 20 minutes found the waves building, wind was up to around 15 and the water now below 55 degrees. I had told Jon that we would keep going deeper and look for more takers, but now I said: “How about we call it a day while the trip back home is only moderately exciting.” He agreed and we pulled the rods.

Just about the time we were ready to head we hit a good wave that put heavy spray over the windshield. I watched for several minutes as we cruised along at 5 MPH. The electric was still in the water and I decided it was too bumpy to climb out on the nose and pull it. We had just over a mile more to get to the harbor, so we just eased on back and puled the electric just inside the harbor.

We got to the dock about 9:30, both a little wet and very glad we had stayed closer to home. I suggested we tie up to the dock and dunk some more WB and/or Carp offerings for 30 minutes before we took off. The results of our last half hour were 2 more mudders and a carp. The latter graciously agreed to come home for a bait party.

For our efforts we totaled 3 bullhead, 2 channel cats and a fat carp. Not a great morning, but the company was good and everything worked correctly.  We did get a bump fish for me, a rough water test for the boat and some bait in case I run out of frozen WB. It should only get better for the next 3 months!

[Image: 28.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0558.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0559.jpg]
Tough catten this spring, but you still pulled out some good ones, congrats and glad the boat held up to the shake out test... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Wink 
Nice report Jim and a good early start. I have only been out one time and never had a bump (it was the weather and the chocolate-colored water) Confused When I do get out again, I plan to watch for Richard and Vi so I can follow them to the big ones. They have been doing great no matter the cold weather and ugly water. Good to see them carrying the South to the top of the contest board. I'm hoping for a quick warm-up that will bring the water temp into the mid-sixties; that should get the carp, the wb, and the cats motivated to love and grub. Next week for sure.
Lynn aka BLK
(05-09-2022, 06:17 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Nice report Jim and a good early start. I have only been out one time and never had a bump (it was the weather and the chocolate-colored water) Confused When I do get out again, I plan to watch for Richard and Vi so I can follow them to the big ones. They have been doing great no matter the cold weather and ugly water. Good to see them carrying the South to the top of the contest board. I'm hoping for a quick warm-up that will bring the water temp into the mid-sixties; that should get the carp, the wb, and the cats motivated to love and grub. Next week for sure.
Lynn aka BLK

Thanks Lynn, it's good to hear you are yeady to get going! I'll tell you what, you follow Richard and Vi and I'll follow you!

It won't be long for the carp, the one we got at the harbor Sat was bulging with eggs. Alas, she won't get to deposit them  Smile
Thats a sweet looking Lund!
I to launched shortly after 6am but I launched out of Lincoln beach. It was Devon and myself and we stayed in 6 fow and about north of BS. We dragged flaits and my spinner bling hooks I made. We to found conditions the same : rough water and windy, much more than weather guesser predicted. By 8:30 there was white caps and it was shaking boat pretty good. Sun was coming out and I thought they would stop but the seemed to intensify. So we headed home in a skunk. Channel was 1.5-2' I just kept it trimmed up and didn't have a problem.
(05-09-2022, 07:05 PM)Panchodog Wrote: Thats a sweet looking Lund!

Thanks! It is a project boat. I got it after it had sat unused in the AZ sun for more than a decade. The friend who sold it to me said "it needs a lot of work, but it has good bones." He was right. I'm about 2/3 or the way done with the refurbishing I want to do, but it is far enough along to go out and so I do!

(05-09-2022, 10:03 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: I to launched shortly after 6am but I launched out of Lincoln beach. It was Devon and myself and we stayed in 6 fow and about north of BS. We dragged flaits and my spinner bling hooks I made. We to found conditions the same : rough water and windy, much more than weather guesser predicted. By 8:30 there was white caps and it was shaking boat pretty good. Sun was coming out and I thought they would stop but the seemed to intensify. So we headed home in a skunk. Channel was 1.5-2' I just kept it trimmed up and didn't have a problem.

I'm glad you made it out and back. The channel sounds a little skinnier than I had heard, but there can be 1/2 a foot difference in transducer placement from one type boat to another. I hope the boat is working well. It seemed like a good one. 

BTW, you made a good choice to go home. By afternoon Orem reported over 40 MPH gusts. 

The catching will only get better from here!