Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Kokanee
[Image: D9211515-E38-C-4-D77-B7-D8-8788-D7-BE7-F0-C.jpg]

Took my Grandson to Rockport today. I usually fish Rockport early in the season to get a shakedown cruise on the boat and trailer and then head to Strawberry for Memorial Day and fish for Kokanee through June.

Fishing was steady all morning and much to our surprise we reeled in a 15” Kokanee. I saw that they had been stocked in Rockport but was surprised any survived last year’s low water. I changed the setup to pink squid and maggots for the deeper rods but was unable to find anymore. The Rainbows were all caught on green dodger and green squid with a nightcrawler between 5 and 10 feet deep.

Overall, a good day fishing with the Grandson.
(05-15-2022, 08:34 PM)NavyVet85 Wrote: Took my Grandson to Rockport today. I usually fish Rockport early in the season to get a shakedown cruise on the boat and trailer and then head to Strawberry for Memorial Day and fish for Kokanee through June.

Fishing was steady all morning and much to our surprise we reeled in a 15” Kokanee. I saw that they had been stocked in Rockport but was surprised any survived last year’s low water. I changed the setup to pink squid and maggots for the deeper rods but was unable to find anymore. The Rainbows were all caught on green dodger and green squid with a nightcrawler between 5 and 10 feet deep.

Overall, a good day fishing with the Grandson.

Nice report, looks like you guys had a great day, has the water come up much from last Fall?
The water level is up a lot from last year. State parks website lists it at 86%. I would agree with that. Lots of debris though.
(05-15-2022, 09:21 PM)NavyVet85 Wrote: The water level is up a lot from last year. State parks website lists it at 86%. I would agree with that. Lots of debris though.

Wow, that is great news for our water year, earlier this year I would have never guessed it would get that high this year. It might even fill if it continues to increase, I would imagine there is still a fair amount of snow in the mountain on the South slope of the Unitas that feed RP. Great news on the kokes too, a 15" koke from RP is really a decent, because by Fall they could get a few more inches of growth.