Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcast VS Scadden advice
Due to a number of things in life I have not been able to fish as much as I have in the past, but it needs to change and is going to.  I have my wife's blessing to invest in inflatable pontoon boat or raft, that will allow me to start taking my kids out more often.  I life in Grand Junction, so something we can just casually float on the Colorado is important, but I do want something I can attach a transom mount trolling motor to for Pelican Lake, Rifle Gap and Harvey Reservoirs, hitting burbot at the Gorge, Fish Lake.....etc.  I have 4 kids, ages 6, 8, 10, and 12, but my wife agree that I should get something that seats 3 to start, and we can get a second if we really like it for the whole family to float.  
I also have the money to buy sonar of whatever sort can work on a raft, and will add that as quickly as possible.

Parameters include width is less than 74 inches, and length less than 14'1", as that is the dimension of my utility trailer I currently own, and I don't have room for or want another trailer.  With the desire for the transom trolling motor, I would like to have the option to have a swivel seat on the back to be able to better manage the prop.

I am hoping some of you have some experience with a few of these, as I would love some feedback.  My only Scadden purchase was the Outlaw Air Craft float tube for backbacking.  I bought it when it was advertised  at a certain weight specifically for backpacking, and I weighed it upon arrival and even without the detachable seat it weighed double what they advertised.  I tried to get my money back and return the float tube, so I could get float tube that weighed under 8 pounds somewhere else, and was told so I am a little jaded with Scadden.  The Air Craft is a great tube, I still use it, but I always take Scadden specs with a grain of salt now.  I noticed they no longer have the weight listed for the tube, so I am guessing I wasn't the only one that complained.

Top picks
My favorite is the Outcast Pac 1200.....but it only seats two so it's out.

Outcast Pac 1300: Awesome raft, but looks like it would be awkward with a prop on the back.  
      Does anyone know if a transom mount extension from the frame is an option?

Scadden: We have several options that seat 3.  My favorite would be the Dragonfly XL3....except the specs aren't on the website.  Meanwhile the XL3 HD does have specs, and it's listed at 14' even, and 75 inches wide, which makes one inch wider than what my trailer can fit fully inflated.  
    Does anyone know if those specs are accurate?  As it is, it would work with what I have.

Next up would be the Scadden Dragonfly XCT3 Pro Guide, but it seems really narrow. 
    Has anyone floated it?  Would it be safe to take down the A section of the Green with 2 kids?  Would it track well with a trolling motor,          and can you get a rear seat that pivots to help control the trolling motor?

Any advice or product I am not considering?  Just because the XCT3 fits on the trailer and has the transom mount on the frame, I am leaning there, but with it so narrow I am a little concerned about the stability.

Thanks in advance!
Looks like I am not going for an outcast or a scadden, but the Fishcraft Stealth.  Has everything I want, from hitting class 3 rapids while floating the Colorado upstream from here, to trolling around Flaming Gorge for burbot at night and floating the Green during the day, to catching pike on Rifle Gap.

Anyone have a personal review or any concerns with the Fishcraft Stealth before I pull the trigger?  Anyone have a recommended transom mount trolling motor?

I had several hundred posts on the old forum, and kind of got lost in the change.  It's nice to be back.
I'll put in my two cents worth.  Cheap and worth it.  I have been a tuber and tooner for over 60 years.  For the last 30 years I have gone through several Outcast models and a couple of Scadden models.  Currently fish a Scadden Escape...which is a lot smaller than what you are looking for.  Both brands are generally good quality. 

Not familiar with the model you mentioned, but if it meets your requirements for space, weight capacity, strength and quality then it is probably worth a try. 

Motors?  The standard for small electrics in the "flotation fishing" world seems to be the good old Minnkotas.  However, I recently upgraded from the less expensive C2 to the slightly more spendy Enduramax.  The latter has a potentiometer to regulate power output and on lower speed settings you get longer life from the battery without excess energy being expended as heat.  I get almost twice the run time with the latter than the former. 

Also, you will need to consider shaft length.  A lot depends on the height your motor will be mounted out of the water.  I started off with a 30# thrust with a 30" shaft length.  Had plenty of power but the shaft was just a bit short for my mounting setup.  So went to the 40# thrust more as a means to get the longer 36" shaft.  Hope this helps.  Good luck with your new ride.
I’ve been down the Green 4 x this last year in a 15’ x 6’ Scadden. It worked well but was sluggish on the oars. I would be a little nervous floating class III rapids in that Flycraft. The tube diameter is small and the raft is quite narrow. I suppose if you don’t drop the oars in the rapids so you can fish and go down sideways you’ll be fine. I think it’s mother-in-law rapid but not sure, will come right over the front of that raft with the short rise and small tubes. Not a big deal if it’s a self bailing raft. The website doesn’t say if it is. I’d verify it is. Other than bigger rapids, it looks sweet. By the way, the website says up to class II rapids.

FYI: Just read on the website q & a that it is not self bailing.
For as much as these cost why not buy a used drift boat?
(05-18-2022, 05:24 PM)Lewiskm3 Wrote: Due to a number of things in life I have not been able to fish as much as I have in the past, but it needs to change and is going to.  I have my wife's blessing to invest in inflatable pontoon boat or raft, that will allow me to start taking my kids out more often.  I life in Grand Junction, so something we can just casually float on the Colorado is important, but I do want something I can attach a transom mount trolling motor to for Pelican Lake, Rifle Gap and Harvey Reservoirs, hitting burbot at the Gorge, Fish Lake.....etc.  I have 4 kids, ages 6, 8, 10, and 12, but my wife agree that I should get something that seats 3 to start, and we can get a second if we really like it for the whole family to float.  
I also have the money to buy sonar of whatever sort can work on a raft, and will add that as quickly as possible.

Parameters include width is less than 74 inches, and length less than 14'1", as that is the dimension of my utility trailer I currently own, and I don't have room for or want another trailer.  With the desire for the transom trolling motor, I would like to have the option to have a swivel seat on the back to be able to better manage the prop.

I am hoping some of you have some experience with a few of these, as I would love some feedback.  My only Scadden purchase was the Outlaw Air Craft float tube for backbacking.  I bought it when it was advertised  at a certain weight specifically for backpacking, and I weighed it upon arrival and even without the detachable seat it weighed double what they advertised.  I tried to get my money back and return the float tube, so I could get float tube that weighed under 8 pounds somewhere else, and was told so I am a little jaded with Scadden.  The Air Craft is a great tube, I still use it, but I always take Scadden specs with a grain of salt now.  I noticed they no longer have the weight listed for the tube, so I am guessing I wasn't the only one that complained.

Top picks

Outcast Pac 1300: Awesome raft, but looks like it would be awkward with a prop on the back.  

Scadden: We have several options that seat 3.  My favorite would be the Dragonfly XL3....except the specs aren't on the website.  Meanwhile the XL3 HD does have specs, and it's listed at 14' even, and 75 inches wide, which makes one inch wider than what my trailer can fit fully inflated.  
    Does anyone know if those specs are accurate?  As it is, it would work with what I have.

Next up would be the Scadden Dragonfly XCT3 Pro Guide, but it seems really narrow. 
    Has anyone floated it?  Would it be safe to take down the A section of the Green with 2 kids?  Would it track well with a trolling motor,          and can you get a rear seat that pivots to help control the trolling motor?

Any advice or product I am not considering?  Just because the XCT3 fits on the trailer and has the transom mount on the frame, I am leaning there, but with it so narrow I am a little concerned about the stability.

Thanks in advance!

I have a Scadden and it works fine.  I will say that their customer support is the worst I have seen. I tried to get a replacement part and it is impossible to ask a question.   If you get one try not to have any problems ??
(05-18-2022, 05:24 PM)Lewiskm3 Wrote: Due to a number of things in life I have not been able to fish as much as I have in the past, but it needs to change and is going to.  I have my wife's blessing to invest in inflatable pontoon boat or raft, that will allow me to start taking my kids out more often.  I life in Grand Junction, so something we can just casually float on the Colorado is important, but I do want something I can attach a transom mount trolling motor to for Pelican Lake, Rifle Gap and Harvey Reservoirs, hitting burbot at the Gorge, Fish Lake.....etc.  I have 4 kids, ages 6, 8, 10, and 12, but my wife agree that I should get something that seats 3 to start, and we can get a second if we really like it for the whole family to float.  

Top picks

Thanks in advance!

hello, new to posting but followed for a long time. Been in the flycraft a number of times with friends but price scared me away. Decided to buy a saturn trition instead, witch is near 12 foot long. Cheaper but I also built the frame myself. I like it a lot but rafts of this size blows around in the wind. I'm healthy and young and it don't mind rowing it. Just thought you might consider how they handle in the wind. Floating the green river many times and lakes. It works for me. I would either go up to a bigger standard boat, or a single pontoon if I choose anything else. A raft is a great two or more person craft, but more money. You also end up guiding or operating the boat for others.
Thanks for the replies.  I won't be seeking out rapids. I ended up going for the FlyCraft Guide Pro, (bigger than the Stealth 3 man), which will be perfect for my family, and is rated for Class 3 rapids, although I won't be seeking them out, and dodging them when able.  When on the Green, I will be trying to hug the right side when approaching the mother in law, and will pick my lines carefully.  Here are some specs from their website.

[*][b]Two people can securely stand while fishing [/b]with our leg lock standing braces.
[*][b]Self Bailing Floor gives you access to remote river sections [/b]with superior shallow draft technology (3-4 inches).
[*][b]High pressure dropped stitched floor [/b]that provides a rock solid platform to stand on.
[*][b]Gives you all the comforts of a drift boat [/b]with the accessibility of a light-weight inflatable boat.
[*][b]360 degree rotating seats[/b]
[*][b]Internally ran anchor system[/b]
[*][b]Heavily Reinforced Bottom[/b] protects your boat from the river bottom
[*][b]Fits on roof, RV compartment, or bed of a truck with use of tailgate extender[/b]
[*][b]Frame breaks down for easy storage and transport[/b]
[*][b]Weight: 145 lbs[/b]
[*][b]14' long x 56" wide[/b]
[*][b]Rated for Class III rapids[/b]
[*][b]Handles up to a 3.5 hp motor[/b]
[*][b]1200 lb Capacity[/b]

TubeDude, thanks for the advice on the trolling motor and battery.  I ended up going with the EnduraMax 55 lb 36' and an Optima Blue Top battery, so hopefully a charge will last a long time.  The raft arrives tomorrow, and I look forward to putting it together in time for Memorial Day, and getting my kids fishing.

Some may ask why, for the price, I didn't get a traditional drift boat.  I fish stillwaters more than lakes currently, and hope to have it end up being 50/50 with this boat.  This boat looks really fun to fish off the front from on lakes, and will be great for popping burbot at night in the fall on the Gorge.  I LOVE fishing for burbot, and I couldn't use my 14x6 utility trailer with a Dory.  Really don't want another trailer.  Plus, I can pack this down and onto a horse, and a lifelong dream is to float the South Fork of the Flathead in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and this is a craft that can get in there on horseback.  Trying to plan that trip for next year.

First stop: Rifle Gap this weekend, and then hopefully Pelican Lake first half of June.
Totally cool! Now you need to post some photos when you build it and do a review after a trip or 2. Congratulations!