Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need chub help
Been getting my chubs for cut bait at Scofield for quite a number of years but the the DNR seems to have done such a good job at eradicating them that my source seems to have dried up.

Went up last week and only came away with 1 that was about 10" or so.  That was on a rod did not get anything in the cast net.
The outlet was not inundated like it used to be, neither did I get any on the lake.  Ended up catching cuts rather than chubs.  (I am not complaining about catching them but on the other hand they were not the target fish.)

If there is anyone willing to share info. on a source I would be extremely grateful.

Largest cut was about 2 pounds.
I did a quick check and it seems that Lost Creek is the place to go. Try searching "Lost Creek chubs" on this forum. Probably some of those guys up north can fill you in. I, too, have noticed the lack of chubs at Scofield and am trying to figure out where to go so I look forward to what others will share.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Two words, Lost Creek.
Boy I was hoping for better news than this. Just checked google maps that is 160 miles one way for us.

Tips on where or how to catch or net them there? Long ways to go blind with no idea what I'm getting into.
Last time I was at Piute it seemed like the chubs were so thick they were slowing my boat down! I haven't been there in a few years, but I'd guess it's still packed with them.
Call DWR, they keep track of those things. They should be happy to tell you where to find them!!
That's a good idea I'll do that and if I can find anything out I'll report back for those interested who live South.

(05-19-2022, 02:17 PM)Muleskinner222 Wrote: Last time I was at Piute it seemed like the chubs were so thick they were slowing my boat down!  I haven't been there in a few years, but I'd guess it's still packed with them.

Piute would be better.  Anyone have any more recent knowledge?
You probably tried these areas, but these are my "Go-To" areas for chubs.  

There are a couple of spots at Scofield below the dam that produce for us just about every time.  I usually toss a worm on a hook 12-18" below a bobber.  You will need to access from the north side.  Cast across the flow into the still or slower water.  The spillway channel usually produces, including down a hundred feet or so to a low check dam.  The area down by the foot bridge also produces well.  That being said, if outlet flows are high, the chubs tend to get disbursed and may be harder to find.  I caught a bunch there last year about this time.

Another area where I have caught multiple chubs is just west of the Madsen Bay boat ramp.  I fish a worm about 2-3 feet behind a clear filled bubble.  Cast out and let it set on the bottom, or slowly retrieve so it stays near the bottom.  I caught a bunch there two years ago.

I've included maps of both areas.  

[Image: Chubs-Below-Scofield-Dam.jpg]

[Image: Chubs-Near-Madsen-Bay-Ramp-Scofield.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
(05-19-2022, 06:46 PM)joatmon Wrote: You probably tried these areas, but these are my "Go-To" areas for chubs.  

There are a couple of spots at Scofield below the dam that produce for us just about every time.  I usually toss a worm on a hook 12-18" below a bobber.  You will need to access from the north side.  Cast across the flow into the still or slower water.  The spillway channel usually produces, including down a hundred feet or so to a low check dam.  The area down by the foot bridge also produces well.  That being said, if outlet flows are high, the chubs tend to get disbursed and may be harder to find.  I caught a bunch there last year about this time.

Another area where I have caught multiple chubs is just west of the Madsen Bay boat ramp.  I fish a worm about 2-3 feet behind a clear filled bubble.  Cast out and let it set on the bottom, or slowly retrieve so it stays near the bottom.  I caught a bunch there two years ago.
There have been a lot of changes in the ecology and biomass of Scofield during the past two years.  I got a copy of the May 6 netting results from this year.  Chub numbers are WAYYYY down.  And there are increasing numbers of wipers up to 3#...and tiger muskies approaching 40 inches.  Gotta tell ya something.  Here's a chart showing the declining population of chubs in the annual nettings.

[Image: SCOFIELD-CHUBS.jpg]

(05-19-2022, 07:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 06:46 PM)joatmon Wrote: You probably tried these areas, but these are my "Go-To" areas for chubs.  

There have been a lot of changes in the ecology and biomass of Scofield during the past two years.  I got a copy of the May 6 netting results from this year.  Chub numbers are WAYYYY down.  And there are increasing numbers of wipers up to 3#...and tiger muskies approaching 40 inches.  Gotta tell ya something.  Here's a chart showing the declining population of chubs in the annual nettings.

Thanks Pat.  That's significant decline and that bar chart shows most of the young chublets have been consumed, leaving the bigger producers.  I'd rather see the wipers and muskies eating chubs that tiger and rainbow trout.  I did catch a small wiper in the river below the dam last year, so maybe there will be some depredation of chubs there too.

Surprisingly, last year I had one trip to Strawberry Soldier Creek that was NBC - nothing but chubs.  Was first time catching any chubs there for me and I'd just as soon forget it.

(05-19-2022, 07:43 PM)joatmon Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 07:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Thanks Pat.  That's significant decline and that bar chart shows most of the young chublets have been consumed, leaving the bigger producers.  I'd rather see the wipers and muskies eating chubs that tiger and rainbow trout.  I did catch a small wiper in the river below the dam last year, so maybe there will be some depredation of chubs there too.

Surprisingly, last year I had one trip to Strawberry Soldier Creek that was NBC - nothing but chubs.  Was first time catching any chubs there for me and I'd just as soon forget it.
Strawberry used to be an easy place to catch both chubs and redside shiners.  The super cutt program has pretty well eradicated the shiners but chubs seem to be making a comeback.  I don't fish Da Berry but have heard reports of seeing large schools of chubs again.  And a report from this past weekend included info that two fish kept both were full of chub minnows.  The cutts are trying but the chubs might be trying harder.  How long until the next poisoning?  Or maybe some tiger muskies?

The areas you show just below the dam are the exact places I tried.  In the past I have got all I could use and more from just those spots.
I however have always fished a 1 1/2" jig real slow there.  If I try again there I will give your bobber a go so I can slow it down even more.

I used to throw a cast net where you show at Madsen Bay but did not give it a try this time.

Thanks for the info.

The areas you show just below the dam are the exact places I tried.  In the past I have got all I could use and more from just those spots.
I however have always fished a 1 1/2" jig real slow there.  If I try again there I will give your bobber a go so I can slow it down even more.

I used to throw a cast net where you show at Madsen Bay but did not give it a try this time.

Thanks for the info.

(05-19-2022, 02:17 PM)Muleskinner222 Wrote: Last time I was at Piute it seemed like the chubs were so thick they were slowing my boat down!  I haven't been there in a few years, but I'd guess it's still packed with them.

Piute would be better.  Anyone have any more recent knowledge?
PACMEN, where do you live? Joatmon, are you saying to fish close to the bank at Madsen Bay where it's only 2-3 feet deep?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-20-2022, 12:19 PM)catchinon Wrote: PACMEN, where do you live? Joatmon, are you saying to fish close to the bank at Madsen Bay where it's only 2-3 feet deep?

Live in Leamington.
I fished Piute reservoir last year and caught nothing but small carp, there could be chubs though. I fished a carolina rig with nightcrawlers on the bottom.
We go to tropic res and catch a ton of redsides there.
(05-20-2022, 12:19 PM)catchinon Wrote: PACMEN, where do you live? Joatmon, are you saying to fish close to the bank at Madsen Bay where it's only 2-3 feet deep?

I went yesterday and caught 8 chubs in that Madsen Bay area.  Surprisingly, I caught most of them on a silver lil' jakes spin-a-lure.  I was hoping for rainbows or cutthroats, but caught none of those.  Caught several chubs on a worm under a bobber.  All were within 25-30 feet of shore, not sure of depth.  And all were long (8-10"), fat chubs.  Maybe pre-spawn??

(05-30-2022, 03:26 AM)joatmon Wrote: Surprisingly, I caught most of them on a silver lil' jakes spin-a-lure.

Many moons ago, I was fishing Strawberry with my cousin.  We were fishing with whole chubs that we had caught earlier, at the marina, throwing a casting net.  I was shocked when my cousin caught a large chub on a 7 to 8" chub.