Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05/19 UL White Bass Trip
With the warmer weather and nights, I thought the white bass might be moving. I took the day off and headed south to Utah Lake to check a few spots. I started with a small creek where I have had success in the past. First, the water flow was much lower than years past, but there were still some holes and places that were fishable.

I tied on a small Panther Martin and saw a flash in my first cast, so I knew there were at least some fish in there. I landed a wb on the next cast. Fishing was not fast and furious by any means, but it was steady. I moved up and down the creek fishing different holes. I ended up just staying at that one creek and landed 67 wb in about four hours of fishing. The small spinner was the most effective for me and I saw much better response with it tied directly to the line rather than attached to a swivel. I played around with other lures before leaving and also had decent success on a pink crappie lure but not a lot of love on the white curly tail with pink jig (which often produced in past years).

I wasn't sure what to expect with the potential wb die off earlier this year and the water levels. It was fun to catch a bunch of fish and I think I will head back down there a few times in the next two weeks.

Happy fishing.
(05-20-2022, 05:01 PM)HuntNFishUT Wrote: With the warmer weather and nights, I thought the white bass might be moving. I took the day off and headed south to Utah Lake to check a few spots. I started with a small creek where I have had success in the past. First, the water flow was much lower than years past, but there were still some holes and places that were fishable.

I tied on a small Panther Martin and saw a flash in my first cast, so I knew there were at least some fish in there. I landed a wb on the next cast. Fishing was not fast and furious by any means, but it was steady. I moved up and down the creek fishing different holes. I ended up just staying at that one creek and landed 67 wb in about four hours of fishing. The small spinner was the most effective for me and I saw much better response with it tied directly to the line rather than attached to a swivel. I played around with other lures before leaving and also had decent success on a pink crappie lure but not a lot of love on the white curly tail with pink jig (which often produced in past years).

I wasn't sure what to expect with the potential wb die off earlier this year and the water levels. It was fun to catch a bunch of fish and I think I will head back down there a few times in the next two weeks.

Happy fishing.
Thanks for the report! Since seeing all the floaters earlier in the year I was wondering what the spawn would look like. It sounds like there were plenty of fish, but maybe not as many as past years. keep having fun!
That sound encouraging. Sounds like a few breeders doing thier thing, so maybe the die off will prove to be not as bad as as feared
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I also found a decent white bass bite last week before the cool front came in.   The fish are mostly the smaller age class but they are ready and able to procreate.  

I think the white bass will be ok in UL, assuming we get some water in there.