Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time fishing Willard
I was finally able to make my first trip to Willard yesterday. After having a great day up at deer Creek on Saturday, The walleye bite was slow but trout was good so I decided to go for the Willard Walleye. I launched just after 6 AM and for a young dude with a broken body that is the best boat ramp and easiest to walk around!
I fished mostly the highlighted area trolling different crankbait/bottom bouncer just so I can get an idea of the area. Only brought one fish to the boat and actually didn’t land it didn’t even get to see it but it was the strongest fish I’ve ever had on that rod and bent the hook. (I promise it wasn’t a snag. the gnarly head shakes were indicative of a true fish on the line )My guess was a decent to good size catfish. Any tips on other areas to target would be appreciated. My next trip if the weather is good enough I’d like to try a slow death presentation. Any good spots for that would be appreciated. 
[Image: 275101-C6-D2-F7-49-EB-A405-F6091691-E0-D8.jpg]
(05-24-2022, 03:43 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I was finally able to make my first trip to Willard yesterday. After having a great day up at deer Creek on Saturday, The walleye bite was slow but trout was good so I decided to go for the Willard Walleye. I launched just after 6 AM and for a young dude with a broken body that is the best boat ramp and easiest to walk around!
I fished mostly the highlighted area trolling different crankbait/bottom bouncer just so I can get an idea of the area. Only brought one fish to the boat and actually didn’t land it didn’t even get to see it but it was the strongest fish I’ve ever had on that rod and bent the hook. (I promise it wasn’t a snag. the gnarly head shakes were indicative of a true fish on the line )My guess was a decent to good size catfish. Any tips on other areas to target would be appreciated. My next trip if the weather is good enough I’d like to try a slow death presentation. Any good spots for that would be appreciated. 

If the fish you caught was making strong drag pulling runs, it could have been a wiper, lots of good wipers and cats in the area you were fishing. For walleye try going to the opposite end of the lake, to the West.  Did you launch from the North or South marina?
(05-24-2022, 04:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 03:43 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I was finally able to make my first trip to Willard yesterday. After having a great day up at deer Creek on Saturday, The walleye bite was slow but trout was good so I decided to go for the Willard Walleye. I launched just after 6 AM and for a young dude with a broken body that is the best boat ramp and easiest to walk around!

If the fish you caught was making strong drag pulling runs, it could have been a wiper, lots of good wipers and cats in the area you were fishing. For walleye try going to the opposite end of the lake, to the West.  Did you launch from the North or South marina?
I Launched from the north marina. That’s the area I’m familiar with. I’ve been up there with a family with paddle boards and kayaks. Not sure if the south marina is any easier or difficult to launch. The fish obviously made a mental impact on me that I stayed in that area for five hours until my batteries said no more.

I scored some walleye last week in my float tube, north of where you were trolling. I was dragging a worm on a jig. My finder was giving me fits so I couldn't tell you depth. Walleye move ALOT in my experience. So having a boat gives you advantage, where as Im stuck to where my feet can get me to. Dont be afraid of looking elsewhere. 
Gabe
(05-24-2022, 04:44 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

I Launched from the north marina. That’s the area I’m familiar with. I’ve been up there with a family with paddle boards and kayaks. Not sure if the south marina is any easier or difficult to launch. The fish obviously made a mental impact on me that I stayed in that area for five hours until my batteries said no more.
If you are launching from the North then you could also try along the North dike to the Light pole on the West dike. How fast were you trolling the cranks and bouncing?
(05-24-2022, 05:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 04:44 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

If you are launching from the North then you could also try along the North dike to the Light pole on the West dike. How fast were you trolling the cranks and bouncing?
First off, thank you for all the tips! Willard is pretty small and my boat can get around fairly quick so getting to different spots isn’t an issue. I will try trolling around the north Dyke next time. I was pulling my crank baits between 1.8 and 2.0 mph. I normally pull them around 1.6 with good success but lately I have been trying slightly faster speeds. Most importantly I was getting the right rod tip action necessary for the bouncer to work off the bottom. When when I troll bottom bouncers I do lots of little s turns as well so speed could vary.

Redrebel,  welcome to the Utah BFT Forum.  For someone (like me) that doesn't get around real well, you may want to consider launching from the south marina, for numerous reasons. 

1. there are 3 launch ramps and 2 docks. 
   2. just above the docks is a good size parking area that is reserved for Seniors and Disabled from May to September, so it           is a much shorter walk.
   3. the bathrooms are much closer to the docks than at the north marina. 
   4. if you keep fish, there is a fairly new cleaning station (although some dummy tends to clog it up now and again) 

I don't know what size boat you have, but most boats up to 19-20 ft. with a trimmable outboard are launching OK from the south marina (for now).  This is what I saw yesterday: my little 14 footer still on trailer but floating (center ramp) was showing 2.2 fow on the sonar.  Just off the trailer was 3 fow and tied to outside of dock was 3.6-3.9 fow.  Once out in the middle of the marina it is 4.0-4.5 fow.   
At the left turn into the channel it ranges from 4.0 to 10.0 fow, stay to the center of the channel, keep motor trimmed up there is a "hump" at the outlet to the main body of the bay.  From there keep straight out past the "No Wake" buoy and the depth starts increasing 6-8 fow. From there you have safe depth pretty much anywhere on the bay.  

[Image: 093-At-Willard-South-for-season-oil-chan...h-2018.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
https://i.postimg.cc/QC0QZ8sD/WILLARD-LABELED.jpg
Here's a map showing the different locations at Willard. I've been having difficulty figuring out which dike is the west side, etc. Now I can tell where the places are that people talk about. Thanks, TubeDude.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-25-2022, 02:37 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

Redrebel,  welcome to the Utah BFT Forum.  For someone (like me) that doesn't get around real well, you may want to consider launching from the south marina, for numerous reasons. 

2. just above the docks is a good size parking area that is reserved for Seniors and Disabled from May to September, so it           is a much shorter walk.
   4. if you keep fish, there is a fairly new cleaning station (although some dummy tends to clog it up now and again) 

I don't know what size boat you have, but most boats up to 19-20 ft. with a trimmable outboard are launching OK from the south marina (for now).  This is what I saw yesterday: my little 14 footer still on trailer but floating (center ramp) was showing 2.2 fow on the sonar.  Just off the trailer was 3 fow and tied to outside of dock was 3.6-3.9 fow.  Once out in the middle of the marina it is 4.0-4.5 fow.   
At the left turn into the channel it ranges from 4.0 to 10.0 fow, stay to the center of the channel, keep motor trimmed up there is a "hump" at the outlet to the main body of the bay.  From there keep straight out past the "No Wake" buoy and the depth starts increasing 6-8 fow. From there you have safe depth pretty much anywhere on the bay.  

Thanks Tim can, I looked up on maps and can see that that does look like an even easier spot than the north marina. One too many jumps out of a C-141 and I’m paying for it daily. Anything to make an easier  launch makes my fishing experience better!

(05-25-2022, 04:58 PM)catchinon Wrote: https://i.postimg.cc/QC0QZ8sD/WILLARD-LABELED.jpg
Here's a map showing the different locations at Willard. I've been having difficulty figuring out which dike is the west side, etc. Now I can tell where the places are that people talk about. Thanks, TubeDude.

I have that article bookmarked on my phone. Another thanks to tubedude
(05-25-2022, 06:13 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 04:58 PM)catchinon Wrote: https://i.postimg.cc/QC0QZ8sD/WILLARD-LABELED.jpg

Aw shucks.  'Twern't nuttin'.  Now if I could only mark in the fish locations.  
Did the DWR ever release the coordinates of the rock pile they made out of the south marina. I have tried to find it but haven't been able to locate it yet.
(05-25-2022, 08:11 PM)fishinfool Wrote: Did the DWR ever release the coordinates of the rock pile they made out of the south marina. I have tried to find it but haven't been able to locate it yet.
They dumped several loads of rocks randomly in a large general area...not just one big pile.  I imagine some board members have located and GPSed at least a few of the piles.  The only numbers I have been able to come up with...at least as a place to start a search...are on the attached map...near the "Rock Piles" notation on the map.  They are roughly southwest of the entrance to the south marina.  Once you get in the right area, use the "biblical system"  (seek and ye shall find).  A good sonar with side imaging helps a lot.

[Image: WILLARD-LABELED.jpg]

Thanks Tim can, I looked up on maps and can see that that does look like an even easier spot than the north marina. One too many jumps out of a C-141 and I’m paying for it daily. Anything to make an easier  launch makes my fishing experience better!

C141's ...  that had to be several years ago. haven't been any 141's around in quite awhile.  Army Airborne ??? 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(05-25-2022, 09:01 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

C141's ...  that had to be several years ago. haven't been any 141's around in quite awhile.  Army Airborne ??? 
Yes Sir, we jumped C-141 and C-130 mostly. I think the last 141 flew in 2006ish.