Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally successful at Willard
Still trying to figure out this little pond. Launched around 630ish and headed west. Ended up with 2 nice cats, 2 perch and a walleye. Kept the perch and Wally. Haven’t fished for catfish since I was a kid and that was in the local park. These were fun to catch and looking forward too learning how to clean and cook em.

[Image: 05536804-BF94-4855-831-F-A1882-FEDA484.jpg]
Nice job, glad you connected. Both of the species you kept are very good eating IMO
(05-27-2022, 11:30 PM)2knots Wrote: Nice job, glad you connected. Both of the species you kept are very good eating IMO

Thanks! I’m usually a catch and release in freshwater… until I tried walleye. Unless they are small they go in the tank.
(05-28-2022, 12:03 AM)Redrebel Wrote:
(05-27-2022, 11:30 PM)2knots Wrote: Nice job, glad you connected. Both of the species you kept are very good eating IMO

Thanks! I’m usually a catch and release in freshwater… until I tried walleye. Unless they are small they go in the tank.

Nice, how long were the perch and walleye?
I always check Walleye so I stay within regs, was about 19” and fat. I got in a rush to get out and didn’t measure the perch. I did get to tryout the new bubba elec fillet knife. Gotta work on getting more pics and videos.
(05-28-2022, 12:42 AM)Redrebel Wrote: I always check Walleye so I stay within regs, was about 19” and fat. I got in a rush to get out and didn’t measure the perch. I did get to tryout the new bubba elec fillet knife. Gotta work on getting more pics and videos.

Contact TubeDude. Pretty sure he has instructions for filleting, cooking, etc.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Good to see your success rate is going up.  About Willard Bay Kitties...I have caught and eaten catfish from waters all over the country...and there are none better eating than those from Willard.  And if you properly prepare them you will agree they can compete with most of the other "desirable" species. 

Here are a few writeups that might help.  The biggest thing about cooking catfish is to be sure to cook them long enough.  They have heavier flesh than a lot of the "white meat" species and need a bit longer in the pan to firm them up and cook out excess moisture.

Attached Files
.pdf   CATFISH FILLETING.pdf (Size: 424.86 KB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   KITTY KRISPIES.pdf (Size: 561.89 KB / Downloads: 8)
.pdf   FISH WINGS.pdf (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   GRILLED CATFISH.pdf (Size: 591.97 KB / Downloads: 1)
.pdf   SMOKED KITTY PREP.pdf (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 5)
.pdf   SMOKIN CATFISH.pdf (Size: 645.52 KB / Downloads: 7)
(05-28-2022, 11:48 AM)TubeDude Wrote: Good to see your success rate is going up.  About Willard Bay Kitties...I have caught and eaten catfish from waters all over the country...and there are none better eating than those from Willard.  And if you properly prepare them you will agree they can compete with most of the other "desirable" species. 

Here are a few writeups that might help.  The biggest thing about cooking catfish is to be sure to cook them long enough.  They have heavier flesh than a lot of the "white meat" species and need a bit longer in the pan to firm them up and cook out excess moisture.

Much appreciated!!!! Looking forward to getting back out there after the long weekend.
(05-28-2022, 01:26 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 11:48 AM)TubeDude Wrote: Good to see your success rate is going up.  About Willard Bay Kitties...I have caught and eaten catfish from waters all over the country...and there are none better eating than those from Willard.  And if you properly prepare them you will agree they can compete with most of the other "desirable" species. 

Much appreciated!!!! Looking forward to getting back out there after the long weekend.

Nice job glad you've got some. we too hope to get out again mid week once again. We'll watch for you, what's your boat look like so we can say hi? We're in a white and silver Hewescraft. Haven't found anyone who doesn't like those eyes!
(05-28-2022, 05:25 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Nice job glad you've got some. we too hope to get out again mid week once again. We'll watch for you, what's your boat look like so we can say hi? We're in a white and silver Hewescraft. Haven't found anyone who doesn't like those eyes!
Red lund rebel xl… hence the screen name. Hopefully see ya out there!
(05-28-2022, 05:25 PM)jjannie Wrote:

I'm planning on going up with a buddy next week, maybe Wednesday or Thursday.  I'm also running a silver and white Hewes, a 20' Searunner.  I'll be on autopliot, biminy up, maybe listening to somes tunes on a BT speaker.
Single main, no kicker. Wink