Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Bass
It was on yesterday.  I fear the wind on big bodies of water so after careful inspection of the weather at the Provo airport and it's prediction of diminishing from 3kts I would give it a try.  With my recently finished  mostly to my liking tin can in tow I departed SLC and headed south.  I must say that after years of luging south the new road is smooth and wide.  Easy for me to stay out of the way while moving along at the old mans pace I have become comfortable with.
Arriving at Utah Lake State Park, I proudly displayed my yearly invasive species pass and my registration was entered into the database showing that I had last been in the water at Rockport on April 27th.  I launched and got underway,  heading out and around to the mouth of the Provo river.  There were a couple of boats there already and many shore anglers fishing from the park.  Some seemed to be disgruntled by my boats presence but I took up position between people and beached on the oppisite side of the river.  I couldn't get much farther away and try as they may, no one could cast far enough to hit me.  I figured in those combat conditions, I was good to go.  I had paid my money and I took my chances.
Starting with a stump jumper with a chartruse paddle tail I, after several casts I hooked one.  Nice 8" whitie.  Several  casts later another, then many casts, no fish.  Switched to a bouyant, brass, 1 fish, silver boyant, 1 fish.  Watched as another fisher was scoring mosts casts.  Adjusted to match and it was on.  Soon, a fish every cast, from 6" to 9" mostly.  I caught for a couple of hours, don't know how many.  Released many.  Kept some for taco's and a few for kitty bait.
You could watch several fish dogging the one you were fighting,  Trying to steal the lure from it's mouth, great fun.

If you know of or have any children, give this a try, before the cold front gets here.  Just rig up a crappie jig 3' under a small bobber and have at it.  Yesterday was filled with the voices of children "I got one!" and "all by myself".  Kids were reeling them in.
Great detailed report, thanks for sharing it with us. Sounds like great fun. Did you get any WB over 10"?
Not really, maybe one, most in the 7" range, culling to find 9" was my goal and that was about 1 in 15 fish, with 14 being culled unless they bled, those ended up as bait pieces for kitties.
Maybe the biggers will come in after this cold front passes.
Deer creek is suppossed to have whites, anyone hear of them running up the river there?
(05-28-2022, 09:03 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Not really, maybe one, most in the 7" range, culling to find 9" was my goal and that was about 1 in 15 fish, with 14 being culled unless they bled, those ended up as bait pieces for kitties.
Maybe the biggers will come in after this cold front passes.
Deer creek is suppossed to have whites, anyone hear of them running up the river there?
Haven't heard any reliable reports of any white bass being caught from Deer Creek since they were first discovered several years ago.  Thankfully, a mostly failed bucket bozo attempt.  And there have been many over the years.  A couple of the "successful" illegal introductions have been crappies and bullheads.  They are not in great numbers but they do show up.  And some of the crappies have gotten pretty hefty...up to 16 inches.