Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video I made at strawberry
(06-02-2022, 02:25 PM)Bduck Wrote: Positive ion control has been a feature just not in Cannon alone. Other electrics such as Scotty's, Big Jon, Walkers which I have 4 all have this as well. Protroll came out with a Black Box that allows the voltage to be adjusted to the downrigger cable in event of a hot boat. A hot boat is usually an indication of dirty or corroded ground connections on the motor, in the battery compartment, fuse block, or even a simple toggle switch, built up scale on zinc plates installed on motors is one of the biggest issues, they prevent electrolysis damage to those vital areas. Aluminum boats are more apt than fiberglass to become hot but can be prevented with periodic inspections & cleaning. Keeping connections & plates clean you shouldn't need a Black Box but not be ruled out. I do like the feature of the newer Cannon which has a setting that you can adjust the positive ions but the price is way out of range for new downriggers especially since I don't need them. I am a firm believer in the use of dielectric silicone grease for electrical connections.  

Hey Roger what ever happened to the old days when we use to go up to East Canyon and catch the kokanee there out of a little 12 foot boat using only lead core line with a triple teaser....so much simpler then.
(06-08-2022, 01:39 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 02:25 PM)Bduck Wrote: Positive ion control has been a feature just not in Cannon alone. Other electrics such as Scotty's, Big Jon, Walkers which I have 4 all have this as well. Protroll came out with a Black Box that allows the voltage to be adjusted to the downrigger cable in event of a hot boat. A hot boat is usually an indication of dirty or corroded ground connections on the motor, in the battery compartment, fuse block, or even a simple toggle switch, built up scale on zinc plates installed on motors is one of the biggest issues, they prevent electrolysis damage to those vital areas. Aluminum boats are more apt than fiberglass to become hot but can be prevented with periodic inspections & cleaning. Keeping connections & plates clean you shouldn't need a Black Box but not be ruled out. I do like the feature of the newer Cannon which has a setting that you can adjust the positive ions but the price is way out of range for new downriggers especially since I don't need them. I am a firm believer in the use of dielectric silicone grease for electrical connections.  

Hey Roger what ever happened to the old days when we use to go up to East Canyon and catch the kokanee there out of a little 12 foot boat using only lead core line with a triple teaser....so much simpler then.

Hi Pete, Ya your talking old school state of the art nearing the 50yr mark fishing EC. I was very humble going fishing in your boat. I don't even remember seeing boat traffic like today. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF