Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second limit of eyes at Willard
Got out to Willard yesterday with Reelfast and Wiperslayer, we fished in Dan's boat. We launched around 8 am and started off just outside the South marina and headed North, caught our first eye right way. We started off trolling at 1.5 mph, later we got up to 2 mph, we were using side planers, long lining and even lead core line. Started off trolling cranks on four rods and the two lead core lines trolling apex lures with worm harness behind them. Most fish were caught on cranks but on a wide variety of lures. I think one of Dan's purple lures caught 3 eyes, my apex lure caught three, the rest on caught just changing lures, with no one color standing out. Water temp started off at 59 degrees and got up to 64 before we got off the water around 2:30 pm. As the water temp rose, the fish we were catching earlier, that were deep, seemed to come up in the water column. We seem to be marking more bait fish in the water too, the ones were were seeing yesterday were a three to five feet off the bottom and it might explain why we caught them deep early. It was a nice day after a rainy weekend, water was coming down the baffles at full force and it appeared the water level has come up a little from the last time I got out there. Saw Suzuki blue out there today and at the cleaning station, good seeing you Gene. Also talked to other Willard friends and all had caught fish. I have a feeling this could be a great week at Willard, with the way it is finally turning on.

[Image: secondlimit2022.jpg]
Nice job Curtis -- I just might make it out there one of these days...walleye fry...that sounds mighty fine..
Awesome job guys, hopefully I’ll get back out there next week, moving my mom into her new place today and tomorrow
Thanks guys. 
Joe- Better not wait too long.
Alan- Good luck with the move, hope all goes well.
Nice outing again.  I'm itching to get out again but am stuck working every day, plus staying late, until late into next week.  All these success reports are killing me! Good job!
Got out early this morning. Only got one… but I’m still learning Willard. I got a lot of good info from a guy who said he is there every day and guides there.Always happy to get tips. Hopefully will get out again soon. Big question is what type of scent do you guys use on your crankbaits or flicker shad?
(06-02-2022, 09:40 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Nice outing again.  I'm itching to get out again but am stuck working every day, plus staying late, until late into next week.  All these success reports are killing me! Good job!

Thanks, hopefully you can get out there before too long.
(06-03-2022, 12:08 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Got out early this morning. Only got one… but I’m still learning Willard. I got a lot of good info from a guy who said he is there every day and guides there.Always happy to get tips. Hopefully will get out again soon. Big question is what type of scent do you guys use on your crankbaits or flicker shad?

Some people think it helps for koke fishing but i never use scent at Willard, tried it years ago but never thought it gave me any advantage.
(06-03-2022, 12:20 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 12:08 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Got out early this morning. Only got one… but I’m still learning Willard. I got a lot of good info from a guy who said he is there every day and guides there.Always happy to get tips. Hopefully will get out again soon. Big question is what type of scent do you guys use on your crankbaits or flicker shad?

Some people think it helps for koke fishing but i never use scent at Willard, tried it years ago but never thought it gave me any advantage.

I've not used scent at WB, either.  Not sure it helps for kokanee, though some swear by it.  I haven't seen any studies on it, but it would seem fairly easy to do.
Single main, no kicker. Wink

I remember fishing with you at Pineview for Crappie.
You used scent for them. Remember you dipping your jig in the little bucket that they came in.
I have never used scent at Willard for anything.
Perhaps it would be worth a try.
(06-05-2022, 07:45 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote:

I remember fishing with you at Pineview for Crappie.
You used scent for them. Remember you dipping your jig in the little bucket that they came in.
I have never used scent at Willard for anything.
Perhaps it would be worth a try.

I think over the years I've tried scent on just about everything but over those years I can't remembers it making any big difference while fishing for warm water fish. I use to use shad scent at Willard but I catch just as many without scent there.