Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shad Rap Size
I run a lot of SR5s and 7s at WB.  I have a bunch of SR8s and 9s, too, but don't use a much because I've never caught much on them. Anybody else use the larger sizes, and if so, how do they work for you?
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-02-2022, 07:37 PM)Paddler Wrote: I run a lot of SR5s and 7s at WB.  I have a bunch of SR8s and 9s, too, but don't use a much because I've never caught much on them. Anybody else use the larger sizes, and if so, how do they work for you?

Jon,
Hurry and get those larger sizes to Powell, you will not be disappointed.
(06-02-2022, 07:37 PM)Paddler Wrote: I run a lot of SR5s and 7s at WB.  I have a bunch of SR8s and 9s, too, but don't use a much because I've never caught much on them. Anybody else use the larger sizes, and if so, how do they work for you?

It really depends on the water depth of the lake. Right now the lake isn't very deep, so the 5's and 7's are the best but when the lake is deeper, we use 8's and 9's all the time, even up to 11's.
I ran one today about 11-12 ft down in 14 to 15 ft of water. Nothing. I remember once when the lake was full we didn't catch anything until we put Thunderstick Juniors down 14 or more feet.
Spring/early summer 5 and 7. Late summer 7, 8. Fall 8 up to 11. Matching the forage size.
While on the subject of SRs, I have a bunch of old ones, 5s and 7s with the older bronze hooks I prefer the VMC black nickle round bend trebles as the bronze finish tends to rust a bit. Anybody have a good source for the size 8s? I need a box of 50 for my 5s.

A few years ago I bought boxes of 50 each in 6s, 5s and 3s, but don't remember where I ordered them from. It looks like they're mostly available now in boxes of 25. After looking around quite a bit I called Byron at Fish Tech. He's ordering in a couple of boxes for me.