Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankbait connection
Went and played at the Bay again this weekend. As many have reported fishing is great right now. Caught my 4 fish yesterday (poke- poke). Several walleye, wipers, cats and even a crappie hopped on for a ride. A couple people mentioned tuning their cranks, so I wanted to do a 
little experimenting on lure action with different connections. ie loop knot, snap, clinch knot direct to the eye, snap swivel etc. I came to my own conclusions, but curious what input others have on the situation. The overall takeaway was each method caught fish, but maybe that's because it's easy fishing right now. A tight knot attached to a snap lock seemed to be the best of both worlds for me. It allows plenty of lure action while still being lazy at switching between colors. Im always learning and don't mind being told I'm wrong, so dont be afraid to let the opinions fly. As a side note, walleye future seems to be in ok shape. I caught all sizes yesterday including this little guy with a big appetite. 

[Image: 20220604-075030.jpg]
Poke accepted with a grin.

I'll be hitting Will's Yard this week myself. And even though I'm not a troller, I may well find myself idling around with a Flicker Shad 100 feet behind the boat!
Sounds like a good day Shawn
Nice Shawn!
I like to use a snap. If there is any possibility of the lure twisting the line I like to add some type of swivel on the upper end of my leader and a snap on the lower end of my leader. A combination snap/swivel seems to take away too much action from many lures.
I like the Dou Lock snaps. Simple to use, no effect on crankbait action. I recently saw some "crankbait snaps" which look interesting. Palomar knot.
Single main, no kicker. Wink