Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6-5
Hit the pond again with Fast Randy and Obi (Shawn) to get in on the bite turning on, launched about 6:45 at the north marina and headed south. Got to the area we wanted to try and got the gear set, it didn’t take long and Shawn’s rod went off then Randy’s and mine with a triple, Shawn’s fish was an eye and Randy and I both got wipers. Kept working the area for a pretty steady pick and farming a few in the process. Bite finally slowed down and searched out to the west and found another area with fish willing to play, basically worked the 2 areas and between until we got our limits of eyes plus some wipers, cats and a perch, had a couple of slow periods in between some good flurries of action. Shawn got big fish honors with a 26” eye that was 4.75lbs. Flicker shad and bottom bouncers both did well at 1.9-2.0 on the gps.  Thanks guys another great trip. 

[Image: 85342-C58-102-F-4-B7-E-AB02-85-CC3-A1-DBC74.jpg]

[Image: A3-CC6-BAE-4-C46-4-D3-E-BA06-1562-E77-B935-B.jpg]

[Image: DDF0231-D-3327-4-BCE-A0-BB-A1633143142-C.jpg]
Wow, looks like your live well was pretty full Alan. Congrats on a great day on the Bay and congrats to Shawn for that big eye, it sure dwarfs those other eyes. How big was the perch and wipers?
(06-05-2022, 11:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, looks like your live well was pretty full Alan. Congrats on a great day on the Bay and congrats to Shawn for that big eye, it sure dwarfs those other eyes. How big was the perch and wipers?

My guess is the perch was around 12.5 and the wipers were around 17, did see a couple nice ones a guy caught at the cleaning station
Very nice!  Great day for sure.
(06-05-2022, 11:29 PM)2knots Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 11:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, looks like your live well was pretty full Alan. Congrats on a great day on the Bay and congrats to Shawn for that big eye, it sure dwarfs those other eyes. How big was the perch and wipers?

My guess is the perch was around 12.5 and the wipers were around 17, did see a couple nice ones a guy caught at the cleaning station

We saw a guy cleaning a big wiper on Fri, it's amazing how much of those big wipers go to waste when they are filleted.
Thanks for a great day Allen.
Bugger, what a good trip! Nice work. Ps, what was down the tube inside the biggun?
Holy cow what a trip, nice job you guys... Sounds like a good one, congrats... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-05-2022, 11:46 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: We saw a guy cleaning a big wiper on Fri, it's amazing how much of those big wipers go to waste when they are filleted.

Yeah, it is a shame how much some people waste of good fish flesh...especially on wipers.  Doesn't have to be though.  I put this together a few years ago to offer some suggestions on using  "the rest of the fish".

Attached Files
.pdf   WASTE-FREE WIPERS.pdf (Size: 5.31 MB / Downloads: 29)
(06-06-2022, 03:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 11:46 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: We saw a guy cleaning a big wiper on Fri, it's amazing how much of those big wipers go to waste when they are filleted.

Yeah, it is a shame how much some people waste of good fish flesh...especially on wipers.  Doesn't have to be though.  I put this together a few years ago to offer some suggestions on using  "the rest of the fish".

Sadly, very few people that use the fillet station will ever use your "rest of the fish" method, even though it is likely the best method for not wasting the resource. It was amazing to watch a good 1/4 if not more of that wiper go down the drain. Thanks for posting that PDF, great info and hopefully those that keep wipers will put it to good use.