Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard help
I am considering a trip to Willard Thu or Friday, and requesting any help for finding wipers  and/or walleyes. I like to troll, have a 19 foot boat, with downriggers, fish sometimes finder, and trolling motor.

I've always launched out of north marina, Is one better than the other

Open to suggestions.
Good time to go. A lot of things working right now. #5 flicker shad ( purple, silver, fire tiger, etc) fished near the bottom at approx 1.8 - 2.2 is a good setup to start. Bottom bouncers with spinner harness and crawler are also doing well. Drive towards the middle openness and watch your sonar. Drop gear when you see some arches or rice on the side view. Lots of reports on the board with better details, but that's a good starting point. Good luck
SR5s and SR7s 40'-70' behind planer boards will do nicely. Fire Tiger, Black/Silver, Walleye, etc. Waiting on some Purpledescents. I don't use my downriggers there, not sure you need them. Not sure speed matters too much, either. I do ~2.8MPH as that's my idle speed.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-06-2022, 03:40 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Good time to go. A lot of things working right now. #5 flicker shad ( purple, silver, fire tiger, etc) fished near the bottom at approx 1.8 - 2.2 is a good setup to start. Bottom bouncers with spinner harness and crawler are also doing well. Drive towards the middle openness and watch your sonar. Drop gear when you see some arches or rice on the side view. Lots of reports on the board with better details,  but that's a good starting point. Good luck

Thanks, fast it is.

(06-06-2022, 07:08 AM)Paddler Wrote: SR5s and SR7s 40'-70' behind planer boards will do nicely.  Fire Tiger, Black/Silver, Walleye, etc.  Waiting on some Purpledescents.  I don't use my downriggers there, not sure you need them.  Not sure speed matters too much, either.  I do ~2.8MPH as that's my idle speed.

Thank you. Is time of day a big factor?
(06-06-2022, 12:55 PM)Uintaman2 Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 03:40 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Good time to go. A lot of things working right now. #5 flicker shad ( purple, silver, fire tiger, etc) fished near the bottom at approx 1.8 - 2.2 is a good setup to start. Bottom bouncers with spinner harness and crawler are also doing well. Drive towards the middle openness and watch your sonar. Drop gear when you see some arches or rice on the side view. Lots of reports on the board with better details,  but that's a good starting point. Good luck

Thanks, fast it is.

(06-06-2022, 07:08 AM)Paddler Wrote: SR5s and SR7s 40'-70' behind planer boards will do nicely.  Fire Tiger, Black/Silver, Walleye, etc.  Waiting on some Purpledescents.  I don't use my downriggers there, not sure you need them.  Not sure speed matters too much, either.  I do ~2.8MPH as that's my idle speed.

Thank you. Is time of day a big factor?

Can be.  We caught very little the other day from about 10:30 till 4:00, then it turned on.  Yesterday afternoon I caught five in the first hour.  After I limited I trolled part of the way back in and caught another half dozen in 1:20.  I was pulling SR5s 40' off the boards hoping for a wiper or two but no luck.
Single main, no kicker. Wink