Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New bait for catfish
Yesterday, I fished Bird Island with Kory and Barry.  The catching was good.  I should have grabbed my rods with heavier line, because I lost way to many catfish, that broke me off, when they got around the many rocks, that are sticking up just a foot or two under the water. Once while I was re rigging, after a break off, I cast out my light rod, that I was using to catch white bass.  It was rigged with a red crappie jig, tipped with a couple meal worms, under a bobber.  I was surprised when I immediately caught and landed a channel cat on that rod.  I re baited (this time with three meal worms) and cast it out again and went back to re rigging my catfish rod.  I was pleasantly surprised when I almost immediately had another channel cat on that rod.

Another fun day fishing with Barry and Kory.
(06-08-2022, 01:54 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Yesterday, I fished Bird Island with Kory and Barry.  The catching was good.  I should have grabbed my rods with heavier line, because I lost way to many catfish, that broke me off, when they got around the many rocks, that are sticking up just a foot or two under the water. Once while I was re rigging, after a break off, I cast out my light rod, that I was using to catch white bass.  It was rigged with a red crappie jig, tipped with a couple meal worms, under a bobber.  I was surprised when I immediately caught and landed a channel cat on that rod.  I re baited (this time with three meal worms) and cast it out again and went back to re rigging my catfish rod.  I was pleasantly surprised when I almost immediately had another channel cat on that rod.

Another fun day fishing with Barry and Kory.
I caught a decent Willard catfish on a mealworm this past fall. I was trying to catch a perch from my float tube before ice up. I was just sitting vertical fishing with the mealworm on a small tungsten jig when the catfish decided it was for him. 
Gabe
Did you find that 36"er that was rumored to have been unintentionally released and then herded towards bird island.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Congrats Kent sounds like a fun trip.. Glad you guys got into the fish... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-08-2022, 02:31 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Did you find that 36"er that was rumored to have been unintentionally released and then herded towards bird island.

Nope, the largest we caught (landed by Barry) was 29 inches.
Speaking of new bait, I caught my largest cat (30”, 13lbs or so) on a raw bratwurst. Swallowed the whole thing.