Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge suggestions?
My daughter just moved to Green River, and I happen to be visiting for a couple of days. It is killing me to be this close to the Gorge, and not give it a try. I have not fished the gorge much at all, and have no boat. Is anyone willing to share some suggestions on where and how a bank tangler might have a reasonable chance of success? I have a 10 year old with me too who would love the chance to get into fish, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. It may not be in the cards for tomorrow, but I expect to visit the grandkids with some frequency, so I can always come back later. I'd even considered renting a boat at Lucerne, but without any experience on the lake I worry that might end up being an expensive path to frustration.

PM's welcome if you'd prefer not to post publicly.
(06-09-2022, 11:17 PM)gaardvark Wrote: My daughter just moved to Green River, and I happen to be visiting for a couple of days. It is killing me to be this close to the Gorge, and not give it a try. I have not fished the gorge much at all, and have no boat. Is anyone willing to share some suggestions on where and how a bank tangler might have a reasonable chance of success? I have a 10 year old with me too who would love the chance to get into fish, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. It may not be in the cards for tomorrow, but I expect to visit the grandkids with some frequency, so I can always come back later. I'd even considered renting a boat at Lucerne, but without any experience on the lake I worry that might end up being an expensive path to frustration.

PM's welcome if you'd prefer not to post publicly.

A few years back I was out at the gorge fishing with some power bait about 2 feet above a sinker. I couldn’t keep them off!
Here are a few of my shore spots. As suggested power bait off the bottom is always successful and I usually have one line in the water with the powerbait and my other line I am throwing a spoon or crankbait out. Great opportunities to catch pups with the spoons. Don’t be afraid to let it sink most of those spots get deep quick. I marked the parking spots and all of the shore spots with red highlight. Good luck!
[Image: F394-D3-A1-CE51-4-E90-8-A2-D-130-F8613-EA93.jpg]

[Image: F80-DF610-D8-AA-4450-9713-96-FE8-D1-BAD26.jpg]

[Image: FD752-C8-B-FB60-4401-B748-3623-D5-CBCFED.jpg]
Thank you very much for sharing. I hope to get out there in the morning. I've got the powerbait and spoons and am ready to give a shot. I am very grateful that you'd even provide some map shots. that will be very helpful.
I got out this morning and went for a nice drive down to Flaming Gorge from Green River, WY. Arriving at Linwood Bay, I set up and started fishing. I threw out one line with Powerbait, and started throwing a Jakes on the other rod. I spent about 30 minutes at that spot, then moved down the shore about another 200 yards. I set up and continued with the same baits, but soon switched the Jakes out for a gold Countdown Rapala, then a gold and orange spoon. After an hour or so of casting, I decided to toss out a second bait rod. I did so, and cast one closer to shore than the first. After just a few minutes I got a good bite, set the hook, and it was game on. For about 15 seconds, I had what felt like a good fish on the line (thinking back on it now, it was probably at least a 10 pounder). Then all of a sudden I had no fish on the line. I shouldn't have trusted the 4 lb leader I had in my bag since it broke right beneath the swivel. I did check my drag both before and after the break off, and I guess I overestimated what the line could take. So of course I retied with some 6lb line for a leader, and put both lines in closer to the shore. There I waited until a the wind started to pick up around 10:30, then watched a cabin cruiser come up the arm at full throttle. He turned around and as the wake reached the shore, it started churning up the mud. I waited to see if it would help stir up any appetizers for the fish, but couldn't tell that it had any positive impact, and at that point it was hard to tell if it hurt either.
I packed up after 3.5 hours and made the drive back empty handed. Except for some midges. They were thick on shore all morning until the wind picked up. At one point I clapped just to see what kind of numbers there were. I got 7 and 9 on subsequent claps. There were plenty of them, but they didn't swarm me, didn't bite and I don't think I swallowed any.

Thank you very much to those who provided me with suggestions and even directions to some access points. There is no doubt I'll be back out that way from time to time and while the catch rate was low, it is certainly less daunting than before.
Hey gaardvark, question? How was the water clarity at the gorge. I talked to the marina today, asked how the levels were doing with our help down stream for powell. She said it wasn't doing to bad, because a lot of water is still coming down form the wind river range. heading up there next week and wanted to be ready for stained or clear water. thanks