Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell?
Hey Everyone. I’m a first time visitor to lake Powell this coming week. We are heading up from Antelope Point Marina and cruising North a few hours. I’m bringing all the fishing gear I own (one can never be too prepared) and was wanting to see if I could get some tips. I’m going to target anything that’ll eat. Any advice would be appreciated!
(06-10-2022, 04:52 PM)stocktondunkley Wrote: Hey Everyone. I’m a first time visitor to lake Powell this coming week. We are heading up from Antelope Point Marina and cruising North a few hours. I’m bringing all the fishing gear I own (one can never be too prepared) and was wanting to see if I could get some tips. I’m going to target anything that’ll eat. Any advice would be appreciated!

Look for rocky points and throw grubs, jigs and crankbaits in natural colors. You can also find stripers on vertical walls with anchovies.
Largemouth can be found in the early mornings in the back of coves. Look for brush, tumbleweeds, and trees.
Green pumpkin, watermelon, and cinnamon colored soft plastics for casting at rock piles (tons of small mouth with the occasional largemouth or walleye), and anything white, silver, or white/silver and black for the stripers (with the occasional by-catch of the other bass and sometimes even a catfish lol). The main forage is shad and crayfish, so anything that imitates those will do wonders. 

My go-to is a 4" green pumpkin senko on a weightless wacky rig or a weightless texas rig. Absolutely slay the smallies whenever I'm down there with that. 

As I'm sure you know, there's no trout (or very few), so hucking powerbait won't produce much of anything, though bluegill are known to eat a nightcrawler.
Go to  Wayne's Words.com.  Wayne is the former Lake Powell Biologist for DWR and knows more about the fishing on Powell than anyone, well almost anyone !!  He has a weekly fishing update and will give you great tips on where and what to use.