Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek
My daughter signed us up to go camping/fishing at Deer Creek this weekend. On Friday I was surprised by how busy the boat ramp was for a Friday morning. We went out with the grandkids and did very well for rainbows. Friday late afternoon we tried to load the boat back up and it was a zoo. The power crew was out in force and there were a bunch of boats waiting to launch/load. I had to drop off someone to go get.the truck and it was nearly impossible to get to the dock. Every time someone left the dock two or three would race for the open spot. We finally made it to the dock and my wife finally made it down the ramp. Luckily she was able to back the truck up without a bunch of trouble. This morning the second set of grandkids wanted to go fishing and we launched after waiting for a very long time to get to the front of the line. If I thought Friday was bad Saturday was way worse. On Friday I could troll in the bays without that much trouble Saturday I spent all my time dodging boats. We had one young boat driver towing one of the wave surfers come within 30 feet of our bow and the waves he put out went over the front of my big Crestliner soaking my wife and daughter. The calm bays were loaded with power crew flotillas tied 5-6 boats together having big loud parties. I guess they wanted to save gas. We still managed to catch enough fish to keep the grandkids happy but I got off the lake before the rush in the afternoon. The crazy thing was the line to launch went clear back to the fee station. I gave up and came home early but was blocked from getting out of the campground till someone in the launch line let me get out. Remind me to stay far far away from Deer Creek on a hot summer weekend. The fishing was good but the crowds were too much for this old man.
I also fished at Deer Creek today 6/11. I also am in shock of how busy it was and how disrespectful some of the boaters were today. I understand everyone that enters the state park can recreate how they choose. But man, some of the ski boats came past me way to close. I had one ski boat that had a pretty good playlist of songs booming on their sound system. Made if kind of fun fishing to a soundtrack…At one point I got feeling “sea sick” from all of the waves. I was fishing a point off the east side of Rainbow bay working some smallmouth, the waves coming off the ski boats were at least 3’ and really steady. I also had water come over to bow of my boat. It took me well over 30 min waiting in line to load my boat at the launch ramp. Smallmouth fishing was great, but it isn’t worth the hassle on the weekends.
Get the bow numbers of the boats violating the proximity law and call them in. The rangers will ruin the day of the violators. I called in three in one day last year at Jordanelle. I honked my horn at one, the female driver said she was "so sorry". Not as sorry as when the ranger wrote her up. I now take my camera with a telephoto lens to document the infraction. When the oficer saw the photos he said that he could write them for stern riding, too. Score!!!

The wakeboard boats are a menace. Call in violators. The rangers are receptive, maybe the wakeboard drivers will learn.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-12-2022, 04:09 AM)JeepNut Wrote: My daughter signed us up to go camping/fishing at Deer Creek this weekend. On Friday I was surprised by how busy the boat ramp was for a Friday morning. We went out with the grandkids and did very well for rainbows. Friday late afternoon we tried to load the boat back up and it was a zoo. The power crew was out in force and there were a bunch of boats waiting to launch/load. I had to drop off someone to go get.the truck and it was nearly impossible to get to the dock. Every time someone left the dock two or three would race for the open spot. We finally made it to the dock and my wife finally made it down the ramp. Luckily she was able to back the truck up without a bunch of trouble. This morning the second set of grandkids wanted to go fishing and we launched after waiting for a very long time to get to the front of the line. If I thought Friday was bad Saturday was way worse. On Friday I could troll in the bays without that much trouble Saturday I spent all my time dodging boats. We had one young boat driver towing one of the wave surfers come within 30 feet of our bow and the waves he put out went over the front of my big Crestliner soaking my wife and daughter. The calm bays were loaded with power crew flotillas tied 5-6 boats together having big loud parties. I guess they wanted to save gas. We still managed to catch enough fish to keep the grandkids happy but I got off the lake before the rush in the afternoon. The crazy thing was the line to launch went clear back to the fee station. I gave up and came home early but was blocked from getting out of the campground till someone in the launch line let me get out. Remind me to stay far far away from Deer Creek on a hot summer weekend. The fishing was good but the crowds were too much for this old man.
Deer Creek needs to go odd/even wakeless days!
It will be a bummer to have to putter to your fishin’ hole on a wakeless day but much better than having to put up with those hideous surf boats.
We went out on Saturday as well! Lake was great from about 6:30a-9:30a. After that it was a mess. Blew my mind how close some of the other boats were flying by us!!