Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WWWW
Yup, you got it....Willard Wednesday Wiper and Walleyes....today, 6-15....Actually pretty slow for us this morning, but I guess ok for our first trip here in about 4 years...Lines in water 0715, guess I was in the wrong area, 'cuz no action for us 'til 0930, after we headed N/W..I wanted to fish that S/W corner, but it seemed too shallow as we were approaching there...really hard finding water over 10 or 11 feet deep, almost anywhere we went...my buddy got hit hard first, slowly dragging in a nearly 2 foot, 5 lb catfish...within 10 mins after that, I got hit on long line and planer, 2 average walleye....thought we were on to something, but going back, circling, crossing through, ... nothing again...changed crankbaits a few times, changed my bottom bouncer crawler harness, even tried changing to T.D.'s left handed cross eyed nite crawler...still no go....until we were heading back, out in the 'Openness', and my planer set with the nite crawler harness got attacked - visciouslly - that planer board went for a ride!...amazing strength and fight...just knew my line would break, but it held, and finally my buddy netted my Wiper of a lifetime, 21", 5.5 lbs...pics and released...great ending to a pretty slow day...very little bird activity seen anywhere, no boils..
(06-16-2022, 05:03 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Yup, you got it....Willard Wednesday Wiper and Walleyes....today, 6-15....Actually pretty slow for us this morning, but I guess ok for our first trip here in about 4 years...Lines in water 0715, guess I was in the wrong area, 'cuz no action for us 'til 0930, after we headed N/W..I wanted to fish that S/W corner, but it seemed too shallow as we were approaching there...really hard finding water over 10 or 11 feet deep, almost anywhere we went...my buddy got hit hard first, slowly dragging in a nearly 2 foot, 5 lb catfish...within 10 mins after that, I got hit on long line and planer, 2 average walleye....thought we were on to something, but going back, circling, crossing through, ... nothing again...changed crankbaits a few times, changed my bottom bouncer crawler harness, even tried changing to T.D.'s left handed cross eyed nite crawler...still no go....until we were heading back, out in the 'Openness', and my planer set with the nite crawler harness got attacked - visciouslly - that planer board went for a ride!...amazing strength and fight...just knew my line would break, but it held, and finally my buddy netted my Wiper of a lifetime, 21", 5.5 lbs...pics and released...great ending to a pretty slow day...very little bird activity seen anywhere, no boils..

Glad you got out and had some success Joe. I bet a wiper that big gave you a good fight, they sure are tanks, when they get that big. I haven't been over in the SW corner in a while but I 'm hearing folks are still catching a few there, so 10 or 11 FOW isn't too shallow. How long were these average eyes you caught? Most of the ones we are catching are between 15 to 19".
'eyes were 16 and 17"....I may have made a mistake heading towards that SW corner, but water I was seeing was only 6, 7, 8' before getting there...that's why we headed more North getting back on that 10/11 FOW...once in awhile we'd see bigger marks along the way, and usually we were seeing tons and tons of baitfish, almost everywhere...
(06-18-2022, 03:58 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: 'eyes were 16 and 17"....I may have made a mistake heading towards that SW corner, but water I was seeing was only 6, 7, 8' before getting there...that's why we headed more North getting back on that 10/11 FOW...once in awhile we'd see bigger marks along the way, and usually we were seeing tons and tons of baitfish, almost everywhere...

We are mainly staying North or the Island but we are also seeing a lot of baitfish, mainly up high but through out the water column as well.
Does 'the island' just have one bouy marking it now? Also, we kept looking, but never did see the lite pole...was that removed?
(06-18-2022, 06:23 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Does 'the island' just have one bouy marking it now? Also, we kept looking, but never did see the lite pole...was that removed?

There were more bouys on it at the beginning of the season but I guess the wind blew them off.  If you have GPS, I would mark it for easier location because the bouys are not always exact. The light pole is still where it has always been, right at the corner of where the West dike turns East and angles in a NE direction, sometimes it is hard to see unless the light is just right.