Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about launching Kayaks at a boat ramp like Willard
Maybe I'm worrying too much about what others think. 
So, I recently bought 2 pedal kayaks that weigh around 120lbs each, and I haul both of them around in the truck bed because of this, I can't have all parts installed in them until I place the kayaks in or at least by the water's edge. I know I could try to haul each one from the bottom parking lot but that's a lot of walking with these big azz things. So, my question is, is it okay for me to launch these at the boat ramp, or am I going to piss off all the boat people because I need to use the boat ramp a little longer than the boat people? Or maybe I shouldn't worry about what the other people think/feel? 
Ps. I'm not saying I'm going to be taking my time putting the kayak together, or loitering on the boat ramp by any means.

Thanks for your input.
As much Prep work should be done at prep area. Most people are really good to me when I launch/retrieve myself. Especially on a dreaded day where I can’t get it centered on the first try. Just be respectful and don’t be tinkering around in my opinion. I’ve seen a lot of kayak/tubers that just go to one of the extreme edges of the ramp and a lot of boats can launch right next to you.
I have the same issue with my kayak or canoe, but do as Redreb says...go to farthest right or left at bottom of ramp to load up or take out...most boaters wouldn't want to be there anyhow for their launch/retrieve...and be as fast as you can...and much easier during weekdays...guluk..
Agree with all the others - as the waters get shallower the decent boat launch will be down the center for the boats leaving those sides that don't extend as far out for lighter launching of tubes, kayaks, etc.
Kayaks and canoes have just as much right to use the ramp as any other boat to launch their craft. The thing that will tick off anyone trying to use the ramp is someone parking on the ramp doing things that can be done elsewhere like prep and loading and unloading. I had to wait several extra minutes this last Saturday because someone thought he was entitled to occupy half of the ramp with his truck while he unloaded, assembled and inflated a rubber boat and also unloaded coolers and camping gear on to the beach a ways away leaving only half of the ramp usable for others. Not cool! All users of the ramp need to be respectful of other boaters and use the ramp exclusively for launching and retrieving their boat in an expeditious manner.
Thank you for your replies and thoughts about my question.
(06-16-2022, 09:55 PM)jjannie Wrote: Agree with all the others - as the waters get shallower the decent boat launch will be down the center for the boats leaving those sides that don't extend as far out for lighter launching of tubes, kayaks, etc.

It has reached that point already at Willard North. Center lanes for trailers.  
If you use sides where the ramp drops off  none of the motor boat guys will mind because they can't use those spots anyway.
Also at Willard, there is lots of beach launching.  Either right next to the beach inside the marina or off Pelican beach.
True at North ramp either far side should not be used by boat trailers. On the west side next to dock It drops off the end of the concrete to mud and gravel and can be a real problem to pull trailer back out when it drops off the edge, it’s maybe 10 feet from
Waters edge where the ramp ends there. As others mention, prep as much as you can then pull down and launch as fast as is reasonable and it should not be an issue, boaters with trailers wouldn’t want to launch there anyway if they know the ramp condition there.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
If ALL users of a boat ramp were registered and stickered, I wouldn’t mind as much.
That reminds me, if you are registered and stickered why are we paying to use a boat ramp again?
I did as suggested for years with my Hobie Pro Angler. Carried it on a roof rack on my SUV and had to get it down and put everything inside while parked on the ramp. I always used the extreme edge and never got an Angry word, even at places like East Canyon or Echo. People could see that it was the only way I could launch or recover. Many even offered to help.
As a float tuber who needs a while to get set up before launching, I share your concern.  However, I have found that whenever I can pull off to a side of the ramp not as heavily used by boating traffic I am seldom considered "in the way" of boaters.  Believe me, there are a lot more inconsiderate ramp-clogging boaters than we of the "floatation fishing" persuasion will ever be.  On the flip side, I have helped countless boaters to launch or trailer their crafts if they are forced to do so alone...and under adverse wind conditions.  Courtesy is contagious.
Sounds great and once again thank you for the feedback Smile
If  you go early, right after the park opens, you will have less problems as well, the later it gets the more people there will be.
I launch my kayak at Willard several times a week. Bottom line - you paid park admission and you are a boater and have the same right as anyone else to use the boat ramps.
I always lunch my Yak at boat ramps, it's fast and easy. As soon as I get it on the dock I slide it over to the edge and it's out of everyones way. Some times depending on the condistions I'll put it in the Water off to the side. I also Fish early and on Tuesdays, wed, thursday's when it's not as busy.