Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 1st attempt afternoon fishing
Launched about 330 pm from the south marina. Plenty of water to launch and the conditions were perfect. Never had to cuss at the bugs and only a slight chop. I knew I didn’t have much time so I stuck to the south west structure. It was definitely slow fishing. However, I wasn’t skunked so life is good. Saw a pontoon who said he didn’t get a bite. Used # 7 FS with no success. Went down to #5 and had success. Surf boats got a little close but not as close as 2 punks who came into the bearings that I was running for over three hours and literally pulled right in front of my boat. I get Willard is busy and those who know the structure know it’s not wide. There are ways to make lots of boats fish tight areas. That was my cue that it was time to go and I did a right face and my trolling motor might have taken out four of their lines and 2 planer boards. I’m not usually that kind of guy but what they did wasn’t cool and luckily the pontooner agreed. I missed 2 fish that fought hard and ran like wipers. Off the water about 740pm . In all I landed:
1 wiper 21” 4.2 lb
1 eye 19”
1 cat
(06-22-2022, 05:07 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Launched about 330 pm from the south marina. Plenty of water to launch and the conditions were perfect. Never had to cuss at the bugs and only a slight chop. I knew I didn’t have much time so I stuck to the south west structure. It was definitely slow fishing. However, I wasn’t skunked so life is good. Saw a pontoon who said he didn’t get a bite. Used # 7 FS with no success. Went down to #5 and had success. Surf boats got a little close but not as close as 2 punks who came into the bearings that I was running for over three hours and literally pulled right in front of my boat. I get Willard is busy and those who know the structure know it’s not wide. There are ways to make lots of boats fish tight areas. That was my cue that it was time to go and I did a right face and my trolling motor might have taken out four of their lines and 2 planer boards. I’m not usually that kind of guy but what they did wasn’t cool and luckily the pontooner agreed. I missed 2 fish that fought hard and ran like wipers. Off the water about 740pm . In all I landed:
1 wiper 21” 4.2 lb
1 eye 19”
1 cat

I guess it could have been worse, glad you at least got a few and a 21" wiper is always fun. Too bad those other fisherfolks were treating you so poorly. With all the unsettled weather, it might be another day or two before the catching inproves.
Actually catching anything but cats this soon after a cold front is an accomplishment.  Nice!