Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what it cost to fish for Sturgeon
Tue the wife and I got up at 1AM   Fished Tue. Wed. and Thursday
it was so hot we had to stop fishing at 12 noon.   95 deg.  so only got 5 hr. fishing in a day which was OK  because the Sturgeon would stop biting at 10 am. I was still in sturgeon but could not get them to bit. did OK up until  10  the bad thing was every thing we got was between 4 and 6 feet.  use to get some 7 footers  saw a new Fishing Guide there Tue.  think that is 5 I have seen. use to be a lot better 
before they showed up.  did not see him catch anything.
we got 8 sturgeon in 3 day

so cost 

Truck gas $340.50
Boat  gas    $94.88
Room for two nights  $155.52         told him I would not be back till gas goes Up to $ 7.00     
total  for just this $590.90
(06-24-2022, 02:38 AM)liketrolling Wrote: Tue the wife and I got up at 1AM   Fished Tue. Wed. and Thursday
it was so hot we had to stop fishing at 12 noon.   95 deg.  so only got 5 hr. fishing in a day which was OK  because the Sturgeon would stop biting at 10 am. I was still in sturgeon but could not get them to bit. did OK up until  10  the bad thing was every thing we got was between 4 and 6 feet.  use to get some 7 footers  saw a new Fishing Guide there Tue.  think that is 5 I have seen. use to be a lot better 

so cost 

Truck gas $340.50
Boat  gas    $94.88
Room for two nights  $155.52         told him I would not be back till gas goes Up to $ 7.00     

Sounds like a great trip, I haven't fished sturgeon in about 15 years.

I have been getting off the lake by 11:00 and head back out in the evening.  I don't like the heat much.

I try not to pay much attention to what it costs to get out. I think you can't put a price on a good time. If I get to carried away my wife will ask me to slow down.
Thats if you already have a license, 2 pole permit. Rod,reel,line, tackle and hardware ect. Bait.. I think between my 2 rods and reels im 200 each into them or so. 12' ugly stick big water with pen squall 30 reels i believe. Both 100lb braid.
Yes, it is indeed expensive these days. After having a 59-year-old neighbor suddenly die unexpectantly, I realized, even more, one never knows how many more fishing trips we will be allowed to take. It would be a shame to quit fishing, because of the price of fuel, with the plan to fish again when the price of fuel drops, and never have the opportunity. That said, many of us, me included, have only so many funds that we can or should spend on our fishing hobby.
One of my favorite quotes from Randy Newberg that I've tried to live by the last few years:

"You are going to run out of health before you run out of money".

To be honest, and this is very selfish...I was cautiously optimistic that gas prices would keep more people home to alleviate a lot of the crowding that has happened since Covid. And if that was the case, I was actually going to be ok with gas prices being outrageously high. But as it turns out...there are more people out on the lakes than every before...even on weekdays...AND we have high gas prices.

Sigh.
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
(06-24-2022, 12:06 PM)nofish2 Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 02:38 AM)liketrolling Wrote: Tue the wife and I got up at 1AM   Fished Tue. Wed. and Thursday

so cost 

Truck gas $340.50
Boat  gas    $94.88

Sounds like a great trip, I haven't fished sturgeon in about 15 years.

I have been getting off the lake by 11:00 and head back out in the evening.  I don't like the heat much.

I try not to pay much attention to what it costs to get out. I think you can't put a price on a good time. If I get to carried away my wife will ask me to slow down.
I use to fish them off the bank below C.J. Strike when I was stationed at Mt. Home AFB back in 70-73 when i was living in Grandview. Lots of fun and no body fishing for them then there. The largest I ever landed was 7 feet with alot of 4 to 6 footers. Hooked bigger ones that I couldn't hold they would head for the bridge downstream and spool me 175 yards.