Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chasing kokes at the gorge
Spent the last 4 days at the gorge hunting kokes, normally this would not be in the plan with the ability to get limits quickly but with friends out from Oregon and Super Dave along it was what we had scheduled. Fished from Lucerne to Buckboard and had to work for our fish with a daily average of 3 kokes that we kept, pink early with orange after the sun broke the ridge seemed to be the most dominant colors, caught fish from 11- 22’ down. As such you don’t mark many schools and the ones we saw were small compared to what you usually see, covered a lot of water just washing gear. Our biggest was 3.6 lbs with another close to that, majority of them that we kept around the mid 2’s, did catch some dinks that we shook at the side of the boat. Derby going this weekend so it will be interesting to see what shows up and is posted online, a friend who’s in it got one over 5 today and is currently in 1st. If you head up expect to work for them, water temp started each day around 60 and highest we saw was 65ish, lake is dropping with the water being pulled but no issue launching at Lucerne or Buckboard except it’s a hike to the parking area when you get in. 

On a side note after fishing with Robert aka Liketrolling, having his electronics probably would of been a major help in the hunt on this trip for sure

[Image: 7-EED4570-37-BA-4-D6-C-BCCA-A0-B17-AE73-EC6.jpg]

[Image: 940418-C7-F460-40-B2-8783-5-ED995-D6-CC5-C.jpg]

[Image: DD8202-D7-B879-4-C5-F-85-D1-4-ACEDA31253-E.jpg]
So nothing has changed from 2 weeks ago when we were there.  Bummer!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Sounds like some tough fishing but that big one looks like a nice koke. Do you ever catch any of those pup macks when fishing for the kokes?
(06-26-2022, 01:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like some tough fishing but that big one looks like a nice koke. Do you ever catch any of those pup macks when fishing for the kokes?

We got a bunch of pups when we were up at Buckboard, only 1 caught down lower
Glad to hear you were able find a few. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any action so far at the Gorge this year. My neighbor just spent 5 days there week before last and feeling the kokes were near extinction. They did manage a very low number in catching with one coming in at under 4lbs. I'm venturing off on a turn & burn to the Font Monday meeting up with some Green River/Rocksprings folks. Hope to see you guys there too. I came to realize my last outing (a discouraging one) at the Berry on May 23.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(06-26-2022, 01:31 PM)Bduck Wrote: Glad to hear you were able find a few. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any action so far at the Gorge this year. My neighbor just spent 5 days there week before last and feeling the kokes were near extinction. They did manage a very low number in catching with one coming in at under 4lbs. I'm venturing off on a turn & burn to the Font Monday meeting up with some Green River/Rocksprings folks. Hope to see you guys there too. I came to realize my last outing (a discouraging one) at the Berry on May 23.

We will see you there, about to head that way and spend the night
Thumbs Up 
(06-26-2022, 02:23 PM)2knots Wrote:
(06-26-2022, 01:31 PM)Bduck Wrote: Glad to hear you were able find a few. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any action so far at the Gorge this year. My neighbor just spent 5 days there week before last and feeling the kokes were near extinction. They did manage a very low number in catching with one coming in at under 4lbs. I'm venturing off on a turn & burn to the Font Monday meeting up with some Green River/Rocksprings folks. Hope to see you guys there too. I came to realize my last outing (a discouraging one) at the Berry on May 23.

We will see you there, about to head that way and spend the night
See you there in the am. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Thanks for the post. Hope I can get up there in about two week.  it has been a week since I was at strawberry and I did not see many schools
but the kokes were around the 52 deg. water.   hit a deer going to strawberry took over a week to get it fixed. then went to Idaho. 
so has slowed me down for fishing for Kokanee. so starting back up Tue.
(06-26-2022, 05:56 PM)liketrolling Wrote: Thanks for the post. Hope I can get up there in about two week.  it has been a week since I was at strawberry and I did not see many schools
but the kokes were around the 52 deg. water.   hit a deer going to strawberry took over a week to get it fixed. then went to Idaho. 
so has slowed me down for fishing for Kokanee. so starting back up Tue.

Dang glad you could get the truck fixed pretty quickly