Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BullFrog Sunscreen is back!
Dubob introduced me to this fabulous product. It's the best sunscreen for anglers, period. It's not a greasy, slippery lotion but a quick-drying gel that leaves no bad odor on your hands or lures. They were bought out and the product was so hard to find that at one point, it was going for $75 a bottle on that auction site! 

But it's back in stock now. Git you some! 

https://bullfrogsunscreen.com/collection...50-5oz-3pk
At that price, I think that I will stick with the "...greasy, slippery lotion..." that leaves a bad odor.
Kent, have you priced sunscreen lately? Three bottles for $33 is a pretty good deal - especially for such a superior product.
(06-27-2022, 11:53 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Dubob introduced me to this fabulous product. It's the best sunscreen for anglers, period. It's not a greasy, slippery lotion but a quick-drying gel that leaves no bad odor on your hands or lures. They were bought out and the product was so hard to find that at one point, it was going for $75 a bottle on that auction site! 

But it's back in stock now. Git you some! 

https://bullfrogsunscreen.com/collection...50-5oz-3pk
Thanks for the heads up Rocky.  Best there is IMHO.  Ordered mine today.  Free shipping and no sales tax.  Hellava deal.   Heart
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Returning the favor, Bob. It was a really bad patch there for a year after Bullfrog got bought out. I was down to my last couple of ounces and came close to despair that they'd never make it again.
(06-28-2022, 12:05 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Kent, have you priced sunscreen lately? Three bottles for $33 is a pretty good deal - especially for such a superior product.

Yes, I have.  I just ordered 3 Goodsense (SPF 50) 8oz (not 5 oz) bottles for $20.97 delivered.  Part of my FirstLine Benefits through United Healthcare.
I'm sure you'll think it's fine. But only because you haven't ever tried Bullfrog.
(07-01-2022, 09:29 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'm sure you'll think it's fine. But only because you haven't ever tried Bullfrog.

I'm pretty easy to please.  If I don't get a sunburn, I am happy.
Kent, avoiding skin cancer is the main goal, and most sunscreens help with that. Bullfrog Gel goes way beyond that, however. It's instant drying, odor-free, non-slippery, non staining, sweat resistant, and gives you at least as much protection as other brands. For me, the biggest advantages are the non-slippery and instant drying aspects.

Have you ever tried to tie a knot in fishing line after using a greasy sunscreen? And have it just pull apart?

I'll stop extolling its virtues now. Order some or check at Walgreen's (they used to carry it). You'll see.
(07-02-2022, 12:44 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Have you ever tried to tie a knot in fishing line after using a greasy sunscreen? And have it just pull apart?
Nope, because I apply sunscreen at home and thoroughly wash my hands afterwards.  If I apply more during the day I wash my hands with Lava soap before going back to fishing.  Wet wipes are also great for cleaning one's hands while fishing.
One thing I really like is that the BullFrog will not wash into your eyes with the sweat that pours off your brow. The sweat stings enough alone but if the claim is true that alone might sell me. Rocky, Bob, is that true in your experience? I did quite a bit of research and the highest-rated sunscreens are many times more expensive, like $32 an oz. while BullFrog is about $2 an oz. Plus, you don't have to reapply very often.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I wear nitrile gloves when applying sunscreen, never quite convinced it doesn't otherwise leave a residue that fish can taste.  I may have to go in with catchinon on an order, along with some neck gaiters.

jack of all tackle, master of none
I don't apply sunscreen above my eyes because of the painful results I've had in the past. That's what a hat is supposed to protect. But I do apply it to nose, cheeks, ears, and neck (all around). BullFrog Gel is alcohol-based, so you get a brief whiff of that, and then it's gone. Hands dry, skin protected.

I played golf today. Had on arm gaiters, neck/face gaiter, and Bullfrog on face and legs. Gaiters, surprisingly, cool rather than feel hot. I think it has to do with evaporation. I buy all my gaiters at SAFishing.com
I ordered 8 gaiters in order to have some for the other people in the family. They could also make for some good presents. We were planning on using them in the winter too, for ice fishing, etc. Are they warm then or do they also cool in that cold weather?

I was going to order a pair of arm gaiters but it didn't work out. Why would you wear those instead of a long-sleeved shirt? I bought a long-sleeved t-shirt at a reasonable price off Amazon. I like it just fine and it was half the price of others I've seen. It blocks sun rays just like sunscreen. I could only find one color of the sleeves from SA. Do they have others?

I will be ordering the three-pack of BullFrog but in the meantime I bought a couple of different sunscreens that use minerals (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) to put a physical barrier between your skin and the suns rays. One is intended for babies and little kids. We have some of those in our household but I thought I would also use it on my forehead and see if it would not sting my eyes.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

SA also has winter fleece gaiters, but the summer ones are fairly good at keeping you warm, too. Their arm gaiters are very good at cooling. I expected them to be warm, and wore them in cool weather, only to find that they actually made my arms cold. One drawback is that SA sells them singly, which is silly. Order two to get a pair. They come in lots of colors, just like the neck gaiters. Wait for one of their sales.

They work by evaporation, I assume. When you are perspiring, they cool you. If you aren't, they are warming.

SA seems to have a warehouse in SLC for some products. I've received orders on Wednesday that I placed on Monday.