Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flyfishing the streams
Anyone have any ideas on flyfishing the streams? I have not flyfished in Utah and not for a while so I will be a little rusty but I should relearn really quick. It is just like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget. Any advice or tips on where to go would be great. I have already heard about the Provo, thanks, and I am not that good to go and embarass my self in font of tons of people. Thanks,
[signature]
The provo is easy to fish, if you can beat the crowds. Go early morning during the week and you should get a spot on the river. A good spot is below the deer creek damn past the bridge. Use size 18-22 flashback pheasant tail nymph, gray or green sow bugs or even a hares ear nymph would work good this time of year.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Brownskie! I think I need to practice alot before I go near other people though.
[signature]
Provo is a good place to go when you are starting up again, it's good if you are still somewhat of a begginer also. I wouldn't worry to much about the showboats fishing the Provo, most of them are just that, showboats. It's a good place to ask other anglers for help, those that know what they are doing are usually very friendly and helpful. They can help you with pattern selection and also give you tips on techniques. Don't be afraid to sit and watch them fish either, you'll learn a ton just my observing.
[signature]
That sound like a good idea just to go up and observe for a while. Thanks,
[signature]
The Blacksmiths Fork is a good river to try. The fish are fairly forgiving and the river needs some harvest on the browns.
[signature]
Thanks fishnate, where is the Blacksmiths fork?
[signature]
Dan: There is a fly fishing class at Davis high on the 22nd or 23rd. in the evening, 6 class room experiances,3 trips to the river. to sign up call Mike Navidomskis in kaysville. He is a good teacher.
[signature]
hft,

What is Mike's #?

Chris
[signature]
WELL, SINCE I MYSELF AM MORE OF A WATER BEATER THAN A FLY FINNESSER WITH MY FLY ROD TOO. I GOTO A LESS USED PART OF THE PROVO THE STRECH BETWEEN DEER CREEK AND JORDANELLE CAN BE GOOD AND NOW IF YOU CANT GET THE FLY'S TO WORK YOU CAN HUCK BAIT TOO. AND IN PARTICULAR THE STRECH OF RIVER FROM THE DAM ON JORDANELLE TO HWY 40 CAN BE GREAT FOR A TON OF BROWNS....THERE YA GO YALLL JUST GOT MY HONEY HOLE LOCATION. I TEND TO FLIP THE FLY MORE THAN CAST IT....THAT AND FIND THE TOPS OF PINE TREES..LOL. ANYWAY HEAD EAST ON I-80 PAST PARK CITY, TAKE THE HWY 40 EAST BOUND. YOU WILL DRIVE PAST JORDANELLE ON THE LEFT, I THINK ITS ABOUT 13MILES TILL THE STOP LIGHT....TURN LEFT AND ON THE LEFT ABOUT 200 OR 300 FEET UP THE ROAD IS A LEFT TURN ON A DIRT ROAD, THAT GIVES YOU ACCESS ALL THE WAY UP TO JORDANELLE DAMN. IF YOU PULL OFF ON THE RIGHT BEFORE THE LIGHT, YOU WILL SEE THE TURN OUT RIGHT AFTER THE CEMENT SIDE BARRIER ENDS, YOU CAN PARK THERE AND HAVE FAIRLY SIMPLE ACCESS TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER THAT FLOWS DOWN INTO DEER CREEK. OR IF YOU TURN RIGHT AT THE LIGHT, LIKE GOING TO MIDWAY, THERE ARE NUMEROUS SPOTS ON BRIDGES AND SUCH TO TURN OUT AND FISH IN THE RIVER AND IT MEANDERS TO THE LAKE. TRY THAT IT TENDS TO BE LESS CROWDED ON THE PROVO AT THOSE POINTS THEN DOWN IN THE CANYON, YOU WILL GET BROWNS BOWS' AND EVEN A CHANCE FOR SOME SMALLMOUTH BASS AND WALLEYES THAT RUN UP THE RIVER...IF YOU ARE THERE AT THE RIGHT TIMES. I COULDNT TELL YOU WHAT THEY ARE THOUGH AS I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CATCH A WALLEYE YET....TARGET FISH THIS YEAR....LIKE THE LAST 3 YEARS....BUT GOOD FISHIN. THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU A TON OF SPOTS TO TRY TO REMEMBER HOW TO CAST THAT FLYROD WITH OUT SNAPPIN THE FLY OFF.

LATERS,
[signature]
Thanks for the info Badfish, I will try to head up that way in a few weeks.
[signature]
Blacksmith Fork is in Cache County in the canyon east of Hyrum. I haven't met a section I didn't like, but some of my favorites are the areas about 2 miles up canyon and another is up near the Hardware Ranch (17 miles). There is some private land, it's posted well, but plenty of public areas. Beyond Hardware it's almost all private. Lots of great water with lots of fish in the 10-13 inch range. If you can fish a nymph you can get whitefish upto 20 inches too.
[signature]
Ok, I know where that is. I took my wife up to hardware ranch for their valentines day dinner and ride, it was fun. And, on the way back I was scoping out the river that was the blacksmith fork. thanks
[signature]
Mikes # 497-9356
[signature]
For stream fishing the Upper Provo is great in the summer I start at Soapstone along the Mirror Lake highway and either go up stream or down. I've have days where I caught 100 fish.

If you want to go higher and still stream fish go to the Sulphur Campground still along the Mirror Lake highway there is a little stream that in the summer the water turns amber colored the brookies are fun to catch. I use my flyrod or my spinning rod. Just about any fly will work of the fly rod and the spinning rod I throw Panther Martins 1/16 oz tipped with a curly tail or peice of worm. You could limit out easily in an hour or two.

Either place you will see few people and have a good time, just watch out for moose. We always see then up there and the beaver ponds are a hoot to fish!
[signature]
Good information flyfishingmoose. thank you very much.
[signature]