Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine report Mar. 6
We arrived at Porcupine at about 7:20 on Sat. I looked at the ice from the top and thought the edges looked good, so I left my plank in the truck, BIG MISTAKE. There was one group on the ice who had left a plank stretched across the edge of the ice, so I thought that I would use that if the edges were bad. On the way down I tipped over my sleigh and had to chase half my gear to the edge of the ice, a couple hundred feet away from the plank I thought I would use. I checked the edge of the ice with my auger and it seemed good. One big step onto the ice and I'm in the water to the bottom of my pockets.

We were looking for Kokes and so we went out to deep water near the south side. Only two fast moving schools of kokes went through. I was able to ice 1 koke from each school, although I did lose a couple nice ones to broken leaders. My buddy got skunked. I used pink rat finkees tipped with wax worms below a cast master. My buddy used everything in his tackle box. We left about noon.

There were about 6 other groups on the ice, all about 30 feet from the shore. The two groups I talked to were catching a few small rainbows.

The ice was about 18" thick with about 10" of snow and a little slush on top. If the warm temperatures keep up you won't be able to get out to safe ice in a short time.

fdg
[signature]
Sounds like a rough day at the pig. Was the ice soft because the lake level is coming up, or just because of sun on the south facing slope?
[signature]
Thanks for the report Fish-Dog, sounds like a tough way to get on the ice. How did you do getting off? WH2
[signature]