Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinston around Dutton and finally Hatch
Southernman and I decided on river fishing since all the lakes are frozen and the ice is getting questionable.

Started the day fishing the new WMA in Kinston canyon while I waited for southernman to arrive. He was running a little late so by the time he showed up I'd already fished every hole and run except about 100 yards of river. Needless to say it was a big waste of time for catching but it looked promising if they ever do something like stock some fish. Southernman arrived and we fished the last couple holes. So far fish 0 and 2 hrs of scouting/fishing.

After that I was ready for something different. I was ready to catch anything so I went to the first place I new I could catch something. The spillway below Otter was the place. There wasn't much for water being released but we found a bunch of fish. It didn't take long before Southernman got the first bite but missed it. We both got a couple small hits but no hook ups yet. I finally had something hit a little better and out comes a 19" brown. What a nice start to a beautiful day fishing. We all caught a bunch more after that but not trout. Everything after that was some 16-18" suckers that were left to feed the crows.

We again left to fish the East fork and get some lunch. After filling our gut and tossing back a few beers we headed down to the river. We fish a couple of the deeper holes between the bridge and the mill with again no luck. Southernman had a long drive home and left after that but I wasn't about to give up yet. I again headed down river and found a couple willing fish. One brown and another bow all about 14". I checked out the new pull off spot and fished that entire section of chained or burned area. This area definetly has potential but again where's all the fish? I left after working that entire area and it didn't suprised me to not see any tracks from other fisherman.

After that I flew out of there thinking about where I could stop for the last few couple hours of daylight. The only place that came to mind was Hatch so I slammed on the gas. While going through John's valley I spotted a herd of deer bedded in the sage. I would of stopped but at 110 mph I wasn't about to slam on the brakes just for some deer. Got to Hatch fairly quick and luckily didn't see any cops.

Hatch was a muddy mess and still had over 2 ft of snow. I didn't get to fish some of my favorite spots but started slamming browns. The biggest 18" down to 12" Caught more fish out of 2 holes then I seen all day. Ya this place might be over fished all year by tourists but as long as I can catch them I'll still stop once or twice when the tourists are gone. I hate fishing this place with all the know-it-all or know-nothing fly fishermen.
[signature]
Does anyone know if and when they are going to plant Kingston Canyon? Thanks Hedges for the report. Looks like I need to get out a bit more you are having all the fun.

Mjigs
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]A wildfire in the watershed above the East Fork sent a bunch of ash down the river and that killed most fish. The area is now unstable and so runoff will bring lots of sediment. DWR says it will restock the stream when things stabilize, giving the fish a good chance of survival. [/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I love that stream and I’ve fished it often over the years. I’m anxious to see it rebound. Meanwhile, the main stream up the rugged canyon away from the road (above the confluence with Deer Creek) should still fish well. Also, Antimony Creek will be good before and after runoff. Antimony Creek probably has serious snow right now.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]- Dave W[/size][/font]
[signature]
Geez, Hedges...what were you using? I fished that same section (I didn't get even close to fishing the entire section, though)on Friday and Sunday and had a hayday! I caught a total of over 20 fish (only fished about a total of 4 hours) on my fly rod including one brown that was 23 inches long. Why do you assume that there are no fish in this section just because you couldn't catch any?
[signature]
Hey!

That's my old stomping ground. Grew up in Koosharem and have fished those sections of the river many times. It is really disheartening to see what has become of such a nice stream. We used to fish the outlet of Otter Creek when only the river was open year round and really pound 'em. Caught a 27" rainbow right above the weir pond several years back. I love that Black Canyon stretch above Antimony and they have done alot of good things up there. Shown the purist fly guys -you know the ones who are unwilling to adapt when something else is working- a thing or two in the past up there!!! Soon as the river clears up gonna have to go give it a try.
[signature]
Looks like what I told hedges in another thread must be true -- fishing might be good one day, and bad the next....just keep trying. Every year there is a big (10lbs +) fish taken from the Sevier below Otter Creek. This years might be me holding the rod!
[signature]
thanks alot to hedgesd for showing me some areas to explore later, when im better prepared with a shorter pole, some freakin chaps for going through brush, and not to eat that killer tin foil dinner that weighed 5 pounds before trying to bound thru the rocks and jump fence gates!

its funny how hedgesd will post a report, then all the southern boys chime in how they always catch 10 times more fish there, but we never see any of those reports, or pictures, or details, or stories, or a damn thing! theres plenty of fish out there for everyone, nobody asking you to give up your honey holes, why dont you join the spirit of the board and share a little!

[mad]

sm
[signature]
Southernman you hit that one on the head. I hear those 10 pounder stories all the time but most of those aren't from kingston or east fork. Since you guys seem think Kingston and East fork are so good how about letting me tag along.

Oh the water clarity was crystal clear in Deer creek. Kinston was just a little dirty but nothing like Hatch. That was brown mud and the fish were taking midges and black buggers. Probable just about anything would work though if you drifted it past there face.

One of the reasons I'd say there wasn't any fish in Kingston was because nothing was jumping or swiming around. I didn't spook any fish, heck I was really suprised to catch anything in East fork because of the Dutton fire. I figured both places would of been re-stocked since then but don't know for sure.
[signature]
Nice report! I love those creeks down that way. How clear was the spillway at otter creek? I'm heading down that way in a few weekends. I love that hole. Last year with salmon eggs and worms, my family and I sat there and killed the trout. We caught like 20 or 30 in about 2 hours. All rainbows. My dad used to fish it when all that stream was public. Used to nail 5+lbrs everytime he fished it. Say, did you happen to see Piute res? Is it full at all? I wana fish in mary's ville canyon bad! Last year it was never clean enough to fish it.
[signature]
Black Canyon has been restocked. Kingston Canyon has fish in it. Like I said, you just need to go give it another shot. There were a ton of fish in there spawning last fall, and there were fish there last weekend. Heck, Wormandbobber was over there fishing it and he caught fish. I'm not saying anything about your fishing skills, just a bad day fishing. Give it another try.

FYI -- last fall a 32" brown was caught, and released, from a private section of water above the upper BLM property boundery. Have you seen the little cabin on top of the hill, above the longhorn cows? He caught it on his property. The fish was huge. This 10lber story isn't just a story...The Sevier in Kingston Canyon has some great potential. And not just for fish out of the hatchery truck.

Hey -- the whole bird watcher being thrown in with PETA was no jab at you. Have you ever tried to hunt birds on the Bear River Bird Refuge west of Brigham? If so you should know exactly what I mean by bird watchers...Should they be able to enter a bird refuge paid for by sportsmens dollars? Should they have a say in what goes on at a refuge?
[signature]