Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Licensing my Pontoon
I licensed my pontoon for the fist time since I purchased it in 1997 so I can attach an electric motor to it. I am not sure whether it is worth it or not. Anyone experienced in this area?

Lloyd
[signature]
Good luck LloydE! Each county handles things a little different from the other. You need to take the ID number off of the motor with you. Then you may or may not be required to title the toon. Mine is and my son's is not. They will give a value to the rig and tax it at that rate. Mine was about $35.00 and my son's was only about $15.00. I could not get a reason for the difference except that I had to pay for a title replacement where my toon was bought used from my brother in law who by the way was never issued a title when he owned the toon and motor.Be ready for a return trip if you don't have all the paper work that they want. Someone asked this question several months ago and he received answers from several other people who registered their toons last year. They each had a different story as to how they were able to get it done. The good news is that after you once get it registered the next time it will be a lot easier.
[signature]
I saw several toons with electric trolling motors last year. They were all over the lake at Jordanelle. From the looks on their faces I'd say it was worth it.
[signature]
I HAVE A TUBE WITH A LECTRIC MOTOR ON IT, I HAVE NEVER LICENSED IT AND I HAVE TALKED TO DWR COPS ON THE WATER WHEN THEY PULLED UP TO CHECK MY LICENSE AND THEY NEVER GAVE SO MUCH AS A LOOK AT MY TUBE WITH THE MOTOR ATTACHED AND ALL. I WONDER IF I SHOULD LICENSE MY TUBE.....HHMM.[crazy]
[signature]
[mad]Well i still think it sucks you have to register a damned inflatable boat just because you have an electric motor. Hey any DWR officers out there? can you tell me how often you guys actually look for that on a toon? and if it is somthing they really enforce or is it the parks guys that enforce it? [mad]
[signature]
What do you do with the boat stickers! Do you paste them on the pontoon?

Lloyd
[signature]
I've only had my fishing license checked a couple of times in my life, so even seeing a fish cop is unusual for me. My pontoon doesn't have a serial number that I know of, and the little electric trolling motor my dad gave me doesn't seem to have one either. I think it would be a headache for the dwr guys to write up a ticket for no registration. I'm not going to worry about it until I get asked. Next they'll be wanting an annual inspection and emission test.
[signature]
I guess the answer lies in what laws do we want to obey and what laws do we want to break. It will be a hefty fine if you ever get caught so as for me, I will go the legal way on this one.
[signature]