Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advise!
[cool][#800000][size 2]Hi all in Idaho,[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Plan to be spending a week in Victor and also a week in the Jackson Hole area. Naturally to do some tubing and fly fishing. Question is since non-residence Fishing licenses in both states cost about $75 would it be best to try and fish only in Idaho or Wyoming versus buying two licenses? Also what is the closest good fishing water over the state line into Wyoming? I know it is just 6 miles to Wy.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
If you won't be fishing in Wyoming or Idaho at any other time this year you might want to buy a 7 day fishing license in each state.

Victor isn't very far from Jackson Hole so you could get by with a Wyoming license while you were there. While staying in Victor you could fish some of the creeks just east of there that are on the wyoming side of the line or drive over to the Jackson area every day.

If your going to be fishing in Yellowstone/Grand Teton while your staying in Jackson then you don't even need a Wyoming license just a park license which is much cheeper.
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]Hi there BrianID,[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Thanks for the feed back. That was my thought about doing all the fishing in Wy. Since I will be there for a couple of weeks guess that I will spring for the non-resident [WY] yearly rate. After all the cost is about equivalent to a tank of gas. [Calif prices][Wink][/size][/#800000]
[signature]
its 10.50 in idaho for one day. dont have to buy a season license. if i was you i would go over to the south fork of the snake very popular place to flyfish.
[signature]
[cool]Hi Xman,

Thanks for the get back. As I am new to the areawhere is the South Fork of the Snake? Is it ID or Wy and how far from Victor? Thanks again.
[signature]
the south fork is probably 40 miles or so from jackson. im not real familiar with victor but if its close to jackson then your not far away at all. do a search on paliSades reseroir. the south fork of the snake is what comes out of the lake. hope this helps.
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, Right below the PaliSades Dam is an excellent spot for some good Cutthroats and big Rainbows. You can also catch whats called a whitefish. Those are alot of fun and put up a scrappy fight. There is generally alot of room for a flyswatter along several areas of the river.
[signature]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Just as the others said the South Fork is the stretch of the Snake River from PaliSades Dam to the town of Menan where the South Fork and Henry's Fork (aka North Fork) come together. The South fork is about 1/2 hours drive SW of Victor on Highway 31. Most of the fish that I catch in the South Fork are cutthroats that average 12"-18". I normally catch twice as many Brown trout as "rainbows" in the South Fork. Last year about 15% of the fish that I caught in the South Fork were "rainbows". I have caught very few fish in the South Fork that look like they might be 100% rainbows. The wild "rainbows" everyone catches in the South Fork and many of the other rivers and streams in the area are really cutbows (rainbow/cutthroat hybrids).[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]If you would like to fish some new places the $10.50 for a one day Idaho fishing license and $4.00 for each additional day added would be worth it. Unless someone else is paying for the gas you would save money if you fish the Teton River instead of driving over to Jackson every day. The Falls River and the creeks in the area North of Victor also have some good fishing. Victor is also about hour from the lower stretch of Henry's Fork, which offers some of the best fly fishing that you will find anywhere.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]The Snake River around Jackson offers just as good of fishing as any of the places mentioned above. Even V.P. Cheney fishes the Snake River around Jackson Hole for Cutthroats on a regular basis.
[signature]
[cool][#808000][size 2]Hey there BrianID - thanks again for all your help. I will name my first catch after you.[Wink][/size][/#808000]
[signature]