Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- Questions about Utah - OT
[size 2][size 1]Hello Guys,[/size]

[size 1]Sorry about being off topic but I couldn't think of a better place to get feedback about living in Utah.[/size]

[size 1]My family is considering selling our home in California and have been looking at homes in Colorado, Utah, and Oregon. We have seen some amazing houses with good size lots in Logan and some other great houses in Layton. If any of you have any advise about great cities in Utah to live I would appreciate as much information as you can provide.[/size]

[size 1]We have two kids (8 and 11) and would want to be in a great school system. Cable modem access would be important because I work out of the house a lot. My wife is a hair stylist and would like to still be able to work so we would want to be near an area where she could find a hair salon. My family enjoys the outdoors so we want to be pretty close to places to ride quads, hunt, fish and horseback, etc... [/size]

[size 1]We saw a really nice ranch in Logan that we could have horses on but does Logan have some of the other things we are looking for.[/size]

[size 1]I would really appreciate any feedback, or information.[/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Look into Park City and those homes overlooking Jordanelle. Huge smallies can be found here, and then there's Deer Creek just 15 minutes away. There's hunting and fishing to be found everywhere near Park City. There are some real nice ranches nearby and there's Heber City nearby as well. Daniels has some ranches. Park City does have some real good school as I have heard. Good Luck searching around. I have found my home in Pleasant Grove and like it here. I have moved here from California as well. It is very nice here.
[signature]
Here is a site to help look for homes in Utah .

[url "http://www.utahrealestate.com/?state=ut"]http://www.utahrealestate.com/?state=ut[/url]
[signature]
The cache valley (logan) is a beautiful place. I don't know much about the school system up there, but as far as your other qualifications, it would be tough to find a better area. It is an area that is growing quite a bit, so there will be the usual growing pains up there, but all in all, it's a great place.

I live near Layton, it also is a nice place. It is one of Utah's largest cities, so there are all the ameneties. The school system is good there as well.

Pretty much anywhere in Utah is "close" to hunting and fishing, so you're in luck wherever you choose.

Good luck with your decision.
[signature]
It is an interesting thought, moving isn't it? Its a lot more fun if it is your choice where you want to move. With what you can get for your home in Cal. you could get a decent place just about anywhere you want. I chose Utah twenty-four years ago because of the relaxed feeling and the slower pace of life. I too moved here from Cal (San Diego to be exact) and have enjoyed it here ever since. Some people just don't get it about Utah, They think there is nothing to do here but its all a matter of choice. If you are an outdoorsman and your family enjoys it also you can be kept busy year round.

I had never been skiing, fished freshwater streams, or been hunting. In my first year I did it all and have kept busy ever since.

Park City was once a very nice quaint little town, but no longer. It has grown ten-fold and is a major destination for travlers and has become too glitzy to really enjoy.

Heber Valley is still a little community and has outdoor opportunities surrounding it. Deer Creek, Jordanelle, and Strawberry are the closests places to fish, with Park City, Deer Valley & The Canyons skiing nearby.

Ogden Valley is about the same with Pineview, Odgen river, Weber river, Rockport & Echo near, Powder Mountain and Snow Basin skiing in the valley. Property values are down since the Olympics and lot sizes are 2-5 acres.

The Salt Lake Valley is growing fast, but there are plenty of places to live and good school systems.

West Jordan is one of the fastest growing cities in Utah with new communites planned or under construction. Large shopping area that includes a Super Wal Mart, Lowes, Sears Grand, Sams Club, numerous dining areas, and smaller shopping opportunities. Just enough to keep just about everyone happy.

As you can see I'm partial to Utah. I've lived in Bountiful, Salt Lake City, Midvale, West Valley, Huntsville (in the Ogden Valley), Sandy and now reside in West Jordan during my 24 year stay in Utah.

My absolute favorite was Huntsville, but the commute to my work was killing me (50+ miles one way). We had deer & moose daily in the yard which was 3.5 acres and occasionally elk. But I was off the beaten path from the town of Huntsville.

If you are curions I've got tons of pictures of our area we lived. There are lots of places to live in Utah. Your choice will not be an easy one but I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
[signature]
I grew up in So. Idaho and moved to Logan to go to college and then moved down to Provo for graduate school. Logan does provide a ton of outdoor possibilities, as does most of the towns along the "Wasatch Front" (Brigham City in the north down to Provo in the south).

I've lived about 4 1/2 years in Logan and Provo. My oldest is in 2nd grade and my wife and I have been pleased with the schools in Provo. I must say however that my heart is in Cache Valley (Logan). My wife would agree. We are trying to figure out a way to move back up there in the next couple of years if at all possible. The only down side to Logan is the shopping (according to the wife). The inversions in the winter can get bad as well.

Utah Valley (Provo area) is extremely family friendly with lots of cheap/free activities. There is always something going on that the kids want to do.

Best of luck in your decision! Try [url "http://www.homefair.com"]www.homefair.com[/url] for some cool tools in deciding where to live. They have free city reports where you can compare cities in lots of different arenas, e.g., crime rate, student/teacher ratios, etc.
[signature]
I have lived in California and Utah and just returned from Colorado on a weekend there, you will enjoy Utah or Colorado but you will miss the Ocean. Logan is a good choice rural but still have the city to meet your needs it is a beautiful area. Utah will have a little culture shock for your family but it is made for families. Colorado living seems to me to be very similar to california, it has a more laid back mentality. Good luck with your choices.
[signature]
I have lived in the Logan, Cache Valley area most of my life. It is a great place. You are close to Bear Lake (about an hour depending on your location). Cache National Forest borders Logan to the East. Several Small reservoir are in the valley (Hyrum, Porcupine, Newton, Cutler also the Logan, Blacksmith Fork, Bear and Little Bear Rivers). You are close to Idaho if you want to hunt or fish there. Jackson Hole, the Tetons, and Yellowstone are a half a days drive.

The valley is growing as is all of Utah and it has it's growing pains. (Main Street in Logan is the main artery and is very busy). The valley has over 100,000 population. That makes it big enough that it has about everything shopping wise you need. It also put a lot of pressure on the recreation areas.

The schools are good for the most part. I feel it depends on your kids and your willingness to be involved. I have found, as I have traveled around that you will find what you are looking for. If you look for the good you will find it. If you look for what's wrong you will find that too. I know this is a biased report. So take some time to check out all of your options before you make the move. If I can be of further help, send me a PM.
[signature]
I've lived in Utah all my life. I love it here. I wouldn't recomend the Salt Lake Valley, though. The school systems suck, especially Granite. The traffic is horrible, too. If I were to move anywhere in Utah, I'd move to Tooele. But, thats just me. I like the west more than anywhere else in the state.

Also, if your looking at Oregon, look up somewhere in Bend, Sisters or Newport. They are all in georgeous areas of that state. Their all near excellent hunting and fishing.

Good luck in finding you new home!!!
[signature]
IMHO You should check into living in Vernal in the Uintah Basin. It is large enough to not feel like you are in the sticks, has a great school system and they ran the fiber optic lines a few years ago. The cost of living is VERY low here. You could probably afford a large ranch as opposed to a lot in Cache Valley. Your wife would have no problem finding a job or opening her own shop. Vernal draws business from all the surrounding communities, including Colorado and Wyoming. Logan is very nice, but the outdoor oppotunities pale by comparision. The Basin is one of the last unspoiled outdoor meccas in the state. There are hundreds of lakes and streams and endless deer, elk and antelope hunting. We have largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, catfish, pike, mackinaw, rainbow, brook, cutthroat and brown trout. We even have whitewater river runs on the Green River. Best of all, it doesn't have near the population and pressure as southern and northern Utah. Just my dos centavos.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
theangler,

I lived in Logan for about 3 years. I loved Cache valley. If I were to move there now I would look at some of the towns around Logan, such as Providence or Paradise, Richmond, etc. Utah has a much slower pace than a lot of other states, such as California, but the pace in Logan is even slower than that. I used to get annoyed with that aspect of Cache Valley until I got used to it. Then I would get annoyed at the hustle and bustle of Salt Lake where I am from. I would definitely consider Logan again if I could find good work there. One thing to know about Logan is that it gets much colder in the winter. It is always about 15 degrees cooler than Salt Lake. However, that is a definite plus in the summer. When us Salt Lakers are roasting in 100 degree heat, folks in Logan are enjoying the 85 degrees there. And you don't spend much time outdoors in the winter anyway(except ice fishing!!!) so I see the climate there as a strong plus. And Logan is a sportsman's paradise. Good Fishing real close at several places. Logan canyon is beautiful, especially in the fall. Good people, good town. Students on campus at USU used to complain about having nothing to do. I beg to differ. They need to get a life and get outdoors. But if you like modern attractions, Logan has about one of everything so there really is more to do than fish.

I now live in Herriman, which is in the extreme southwest corner of the Salt Lake valley. This area is not growing, it is exploding. But it is a great area. I have been here about four years. We are contemplating moving into a bigger house. But the new places we are looking at are right in our same neighborhood. So I would highly recommend Herriman, South Jordan, and West Jordan, especially if you have young kids.

Hope this helps.

m
[signature]
Excellent information guys!!! Thank you!

We are looking into these areas and have also added Farmington, Kaysville, and Bountiful to our list, any information on those would be greatly appreciated!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
If you are concerding south of utah county i would look into the little town of mona, 20mins from provo, you can ride horses all over town, you can ride your atv's right out of your front yard excelent atv'ing on the nebo side as well as the west hills, 1 hour from the little sierra recreation area. and 1 hour from the highest rated atv trail system in the west, (according to the atv magazine) the piute trail. Mt. Nebo has some nice sized deer as well as a good population of elk big ones.The elementary school is awesome, and it is a 2A school district. And the neighbors are the best anywhere, they will do anything to help you out.
[signature]
I think Utah is a great place to live. There is such a variety of outdoors activities and people. It is somewhat of a culture shock though. I will agree with that. I came from germany and it was a huge culture shock for me.

As for nice places, Logan is very nice but if I had a choice it would be Liberty , Eden, or Mt.Green. I sent you a pm if you need more info.
[signature]
i have an overlooked area for you that alot of times is forgotten....Smile the morgan area is beautiful...laid back and close to everything....alot of acreage is available around there..altho it is growing also and prices are up...from what we are use to around here....you can also check out this web site if you get a chance.... [url "http://www.utahhomes.com"]www.utahhomes.com[/url] it has alot of info for the areas here....good luck on your adventure...you won't be sorry moving anywhere you have mentioned so far...Smile
[signature]
gulfstream: you're right and an little know fact: Morgan County has more privatly owned land than any other county in Utah!
[signature]
I live in North Logan and have for over 20 years. We moved here from the bay area. Cache valley is a great place to raise a family. Logan and surrounding areas have just about everything you would need. Schools are good, but class sizes are large (25-30). There are 3 high schools here and all are getting very large. I have tried my best to stay here in cache valley because of its atmosphere, but you will probably have to sacrifice well paying work for the chance live here. Good luck in your selection. Chicken
[signature]
[red][size 3]After 20 years of traveling in the military, Cache Valley is in second place behind the Austrian Alps. That said; let me tell you about third and fourth place for consideration. Western Montana as in Missoula, Bozeman or possibly the Kalispell area fit your dreams. I wouldn't discount Northern Idaho such as areas around Boise or Coeur De Lane. These are God's country also but with an extra month of winter. The greatest thing about Utah outdoors is its diversity. If you want to go play in the desert with the four scratchers it's there, (just got back from Moab). High alpine lakes, rugged peaks, and conifer forest wilderness area you say? Can't beat the Uintas and the Wasatch Front is right out the back door. You can fish for Arctic grayling and channel cats in the same weekend or ski the morning and golf the afternoon if for some reason you were feeling sick and didn't want to go fishing.[Wink] If you're in the mood for a little civilized culture and extravagant shopping, Salt Lake is right in the middle of it all complete with the I-15 express parking lot. [/size][/red]
[signature]
If cable modem is a must then most of the very small towns are out. If you want high speed internet via cable modem then the areas in davis, saltlake and weber counties would be the ones you want. Some parts of cache valley might have highspeed internet as well. To find out for sure contact Comcast at 1-888-comcast or look it up on the web [url "http://www.comcast.com"]www.comcast.com[/url].

Cableguy
[signature]
Have you looked into southern Utah? St. George and Cedar City provide everything you mentioned with the possibility of quickly being in the cool of the mountains or the warm of the desert. As an educator myself, i would say that both Iron and Washington County School District are excellent...not to mention the higher learning institutions in both communities.
....but, then again, Utah Valley, Cache Valley, or the Salt Lake Valley are much better places to live...
[signature]