Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
little dell report 4/1
had a great day a little dell today fished the N. bank casting in line spinners caught a total of 19 cutts 14-18" had several more bites i missed wanted to go back and fish some more tomorrow but about 1130 two city workers showed up and gave me a ride out informing me contary to what the proc says it manageed by the water district and will not open until the fee shack is open at least they were nice about it did see three other people fishing E. of me but i think the rain chased them off about 10
[signature]
I'd still go back and take your chances of getting booted again. Not your fault if they can't put up a sign or even get it in the proc.

Sounds like a good trip.
[signature]
Chris , I never even read this post . Can't wait to check it out . LOL
[signature]
hey dude go for it ! not like they can give you a ticket or anything i caught more fish today then i have for all the trips the last two years together send me a pm i'll send you some info
[signature]
Way to go Chris!I'll have to try it up there,do they allow float boats?or don't you need one?

MIKE
[signature]
well being that the gate is closed and you won't get a tube/toon in there until may you pretty much need one that time of year as the fish will be deep they were fairly close to the bank yesterday but i still had to give the lure a 15/20 count down

i had a nice talk with the guys who gave me a ride out they mentioned there were some nice brown trout in there anyone here ever catch one ?
[signature]
I went and fished from the float tube (Long Walk Down) from 5-6:30 last night. Caught a couple of monsters. The bow I picked up ran almost 20 inches and 2-3 pounds. The cut looked like something straight out of Strawberry. It was at least 19. Healthy fish and fun to catch on a tube. Rapala's and Red Devils. Good Times. I was told the same thing about the lake being closed by a guy from trout unlimited that does volunteer work with the cutts up there. He said he has seen cuts over 25 inches in his river traps. He also told me to please haul out any of the rainbows you catch cause they are hurting the cutt population. No officials from the city up there last night and I would claim that Proclamation (AKA the angler bible) argument in front of any judge if I was ever to get a ticket. Fish on!!
[signature]
I thought that it was all catch and release up there. Do you think they'd bust you for keeping a rainbow?

What is the forage base in there? I'm assuming chubs?
[signature]
All Cutts must be released. You can keep the bows.
[signature]
So I guess the question I would have is if they are running the place can they give you a ticket or just ask you to leave?
[signature]
Sorry you were right on the catch and release. That so called "expert" on the area that I talked with last night got me questioning what I already knew. Here is what the bible says:

Little Dell Reservoir (Salt Lake County) [ul] [li]Artificial Flies and Lures Only [li]CATCH & RELEASE ONLY [li]Fishing from a boat with a motor is unlawful.

Note: Little Dell Reservoir is managed by the Salt Lake Public Utilities Department. Access to Little Dell Reservoir is CLOSED November 1 through March 31. Access is open during daylight hours only from April 1 through October 31. [/li][/ul]

Sorry for the confusion.
[signature]
I was just reading the proc online and it says that.... "all cutthroat trout must be immediately released" and "closed to the posession of cutthroat trout." This was under the section "provisions for specific waters."

What section did you find that wording in? I'm just curious if there is a contradiction somewhere in the proc.
[signature]
I believe in the same section but the online version of the Proclamation which is rummored to be the up to date version. I am so Confused.
[signature]
Good report on Little Dell. I like to fish there, cause it is so close to where I live. and there is some decent sized cutts in that water. I have never caught anything but cutts in there. I had no clue there was Browns and rainbows in there.

As for when it opens, i went up there a couple of years ago and actually had the guy in the guard shack say that you couldnt even fish in Little Dell, after pulling out the Proc and showing him, he said "I learn something new everyday" So I wouldnt sweat it, let the proclamation do all the talking.
[signature]
That means it is open today. I hope someone went out and will give us a report. I have to fish through the proxy of others reports now days.
[signature]
I shot up there at about noon today for about an hour. The wind was ferocious! I could barely cast!

I landed two 18" cutts. One was absolutely gorgeous! The other one had missing fins and half of a tail....I'm guessing it was a planter.

What really ticked me off was the gobs of FRESH powerbait on the bank. I'm guessing that someone was dunking some bait up there last night and probably keeping the fish.
[signature]
I have got Tom Pettingill from the DWR on the trail of a real date for the opening. DWR was not aware that Public Works was not going to agree with the Proclamation date. My email is now in Tom's Inbox and I am sure he will take care of us angler's.

On a side note. I hope all bait fisherman get there licenses revoked and a ticket up there if indeed they knew that it was artifical only. Where did you catch your cutts? Also I agree the fish are healthy and great looking.
[signature]
The wind was howling really bad down the canyon, so I went over to the inlet where it would be at my back.

I only caught the two fish, but I had 6 or 7 follow it up to the shore.
[signature]
got to agree those are some beautiful fish as mentioned fat and healthy and for cutts they fight good the dept of water told me only the cutts had to be released this year everything else could be kept there is also brooks in there though i have yet to get one i hope to some day

now as far as getting a ticket the two guys i ran into were just city workers so they could not give you a ticket when i got to my truck there was a sheriff sitting next to it watching a inmate work crew he seemed to have no problem with me being down there BUT i'm not saying you won't get a ticket but i to would fight it also
[signature]
When are we gonna roll up there Chris. I may head up there monday or teusday anyone wanna go.
[signature]