Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fished I-80 pond today.
I hit the I- 80 Pond today. We caught a bunch of small Bass nothing over 7 inches, saw bigger ones but no big bites. I saw in guy in a float tube catch a medium size bass and some smaller bass. Another guy with a bucket with about 6 bass in it. If you go take an trash bag and carry out 5 lbs. of trash please, there is a lot of litter the place looks absolutely terrible I could not believe how much garbage is there in looks like the county land fill.[unsure]Only we can make a different it seems.

But it was great to get out and catch some fish even little ones.
[signature]
Just curious what style of fishing did you try , jigs , lures , flies , spinnerbaits , bait , etc . I was there saturday for a couple hours and nailed a 12" bass on a jointed crankbait . I also donated about 5 lures to the snag gods in there . I been hitting it after work with topwater and been getting strikes but very few hook ups . Broke one of my rods last week there after my jig hit it . Was going to go today but decided to work on my boat and hope to get it out this year .
[signature]
I fished the freeway side, south side? I used a combination of both lures and bait but only use something that your willing to give up without heart burn. It is shallow and weedy a grip of snags with limited casting from shore. Use plastic worms, jigs, spinners or bait, you will catch more fish with bait but also smaller fish and the little teeny tiny blue gill are all over bait.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
I ALWAYS USE A NIGHTCRAWLER WITH A SPINNER SET UP THERE. THERE ARE LOTS OF SMALL FISH IN THERE. BUT WHEN THE PLANETS ARE IN LINE THE BIG ONES BITE. I COUGHT A BASS LAST YEAR THAT THROW UP TWO BLUE GILLS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A HALF DOLLAR. I HAVE ALSO COUGHT CRAPPIE OF GOOD SIZE ALSO. THERE ARE NICE FISH THERE BUT AS I SAID LOTS OF SMALL ONES. IT'S MY FAVORITE AFTER WORK SPOT THOU [Smile]
[signature]
Sounds like it could benefit from the removal of a few of the smaller fish, so that more can grow to a substantial size. I didnt' make it out there on Sat. like I planned to.

I got up at 6:30 in the morning to go, and the wind was still blowing about 60 miles an hour at my house, so I decided to go back to bed. When I got up again at about 10, it was a perfect spring morning with just a slight breeze. I was pissed cause the only time I could go was the morning.

Instead I got to stay home and get the cooler ready for summer. Got a damn split in the copper tubing on the roof for the water, there was a little left in a low spot last fall I guess that didn't drain out and it froze and burst the tube. So now on top of all this I gotta go get new copper tubing and replace it.
[signature]
I have caught them on about everything except bait , but I don't go to bait fish . But I think my biggest bass ate my bobber when I was fishing for the gills and he let me have my bobber back LOL . Never caught or seen a crappie out of there . Someone there told me there was perch in there but never seen any . Fun little pond till the weeds get thick . I fish it from shore most of the time , but will have to drag out the tube soon .
[signature]
Nice bass was it caught at I 80?
[signature]
Yes , I think it went 14" .
[signature]
AnglerDan and I went out to Blue Lake on Saturday and on the way out we were thinking about stopping and tossing in the tubes. Is it better to tube it or better to just bank fish?
[signature]
YOU CAN REACH ALL THE WATER ON TUBE, SOME OF THE SHORE LINE IS UN ACCESSABLE ON FOOT. IN FACT YOU JUST HAVE TO WALK DOWN AND HIT THE "HOLES" IN THE RUSHES TO GET TO FISH....THE FISH I THINK KNOW THOSE OPEN AREAS HAVE MEAN THINGS FLYING OUT OF THEM SO THEY TEND TO STAY TOWARDS THE EAST END OF THE POND WHERE THE WATER IS A LITTLE DEEPER AND THERE IS LESS FOOT TRAFFIC. IN THE POND THERE ARE...LMB, CRAPPIE, GILLS AND WHAT LOOKED TO BE SOME KIND OF SUNFISH. THERE SHOULD NOT BE PERCH THERE, BUT AROUND HERE ITS POSSIBLE...DAMN BUCKETS...THEY SHOULD MAKE ALL OF EM WITH A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM!!! LOL, ANYHOW...THE WATER IS SLIGHTLY STAIND, SO USE GOLD, BRASS, BRONZE SPINNERS, BLADES, FLASH ITEMS. YOU CAN MATCH THE HATCH SOMETIMES IF YOU ARE ON A FLY ROD, POPPERS AND SUCH SHOULD PERFORM WELL, BASSBUGS TOO...I GOT THAT TERM FROM CABELAS SO THEY MAY JUST BE POPPERS I DIDNT LOOK AT EM. OF COURSE ANY LIVE BAIT SHOULD WORK..WORMS, WAXIES, MEALIES, YOU MAY EVEN WANT TO TRY A DEAD MINNOW, I WOULD LEAVE THE JIGS AT HOME FOR THIS PLACE, VERY WEEDY VERY SNAGGY. TONS OF HUMPS AND STUMPS NOT TO MENTION TIRES, BARRELS, OLD DOCK PILINGS, BUCKETS...A TON OF STRUCTURE IN HERE, DONT KNOW IF IT WAS PUT THERE OR TOSSED THERE, BUT IT HOLDS THEM BASS!!

LATERS,
[signature]
Great update thank you for taking the time. I will have to head out there and see if any mean things will hit me from cars passing by....
[signature]
Fished I-80 three times in the last week. Landed three fish going 17 inches. Biggest 20 inches and alot of smaller fish. Peace !!
[signature]