Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drift Sock Questions
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I'm thinking about purchasing a drift sock for my 14 foot tin bin. I've got a couple questions for you guys:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]1. Any one brand you prefer over another?
2. Any styles or features I should keep in mind when buying one?
3. What situations do you use them in?
4. What different things are you trying to accomplish when using one?
5. Do you use just one ... or two?
6. Which part of the boat do you connect it (them) to?
7. Do you use a sock while trolling (if you can't go slow enough)?
8. Any alternatives that work just as well (or better)?
9. What size should I get?

[/size][/font]
[signature]
Great questions, I am also in the market to pick up a drift sock for my boat!!!!

I have looked at some on Ebay and some on Cabelas. As for size they usually are rated for different size boats compared to sock size. I think i might go a bit larger than recommended for my boat just to get a good slow drift. Most drift socks come with a rope and you just tie it off to a cleat. Most situations I see myself using a drift sock is in open water for trying to cover a large area just floating but cutting down the wind drifting my boat too fast.
[signature]
I bought mine from sportsman warehouse for 22 dollars and my boat is 16 footer and I got the sock rated for 18-22 foot boat. Bigger is better to slow your boat down during winds.

I usually use just one but if the winds are very strong then two comes in handy.

You just rope it off to a cleat on the rail of the boat. I've got two cleats for that purpose on each side for each sock.

You will accomplish very slow drifting with them and slowest is the best of all for walleye presentation. They don't like things going too fast past their toothy grins...

As for trolling and dragging drift socks, I've heard of people do that but if you have the troller's plate then don't need to do that, especially if you have a small electric motor.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Paul,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Do you use your drift sock for walleye fishing very often? Me wanting to get a drift sock is mainly driven by the hopes that it may be a good walleye tool.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Only when it is very windy and you want to control the speed of the boat pushed by the winds. I've used it about six or seven times last year, so yes it's very useful to drift oh so slow in windy conditions.
[signature]
What are you trying to accomplish? Drift bags are good for controlled drifts, but they tend to wear out prematurely when used for trolling. To slow your trolling speed, you can use a trolling bag (or two), a trolling plate that attaches to your motor, or you can backtroll.

A trolling bag should be attached to the bow for control and to stay out of the prop. Drift bags are commonly attached to the side of the boat for controlled side drifts, or use two as Paul mentioned. The best drift bag is the Wave Tamer, [url "http://www.driftbag.com"]www.driftbag.com[/url]. The best trolling bag is from Amish Outfitters (look at the Buggy Bag). Trolling plates are available at Cabela's/Bass Pro. Backtrolling is for tiller boats and all you do is go backwards (you get better speed control and can follow contours better).
[#800080][size 2]I'm looking at getting a windsock for my bassboat. On a single would you tie off to both cleats or just use one cleat. Wouldn't one cleat create a spin with the boat?[/size][/#800080]
[signature]
I have used a "sea anchor" for a lot of years with my 14' Starcraft. I wouldn't own a boat without one. They really work great for a lot of applications. I bought mine from Cabelas and it is fine although there are better ones out there. I use mine to slow my drift on the Berry when drift fishing, trolling to slow the boat, and at Lake Powell to slow my drift when casting to shore. I use just one off the bow or along the side, but two would be really handy. A lot of force is exerted on whatever you tie it to so make sure it is strong enough so it doesn't tear something out. A size or two larger than the recommended one is fine, but if you use two, save your money and get the ones sized for your boat. If you want to go that slow, drop anchor.
[signature]
Great post Old coot Great ??s I was thinking about purchasing one two socks myself for my boat this has cleared up some ?? for me also Thanks!
[signature]
Hey Tomegun, it's best if you have an anchor cleat just ahead of the center of your boat. I have a cleat on each side, about even with the back of my windshield.That way you can drift sideways (leave the big motor down) and use your electric to keep the boat under control. Remember you never drift exactly the direction the wind is blowing. Has to do with the rotation of the earth and such. You will generally drift about ten to fifteen degrees to the right,(assuming you are fishing north of the equator). Depending of course on which way your bow is pointed and which way your big motor is turned.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

walleyebob
[signature]
It sounds like I need to get my drift sock out from under the bow and give it a try. I have had it for over a year, but haven't even taken it out of the bag yet!
[signature]