Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CISCO RUN IS ON @ BEAR LAKE!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Fishing Report and Conditions at Bear Lake[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Wednesday, January 18, 2006[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black] [/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]The cisco run has started at Bear Lake. Wednesday morning was the first morning that cisco were observed along Cisco Beach. There were only a few fish in each school and there were only a few schools sighted in approximately one hour's time. However, once the run starts the cisco schools can become thick and the fish can run for several hours each day. The best time to dip net fish are right after daybreak until around 9:00 am, but depending on the day fish can run until the afternoon times. Bear Lake has open water conditions, so if you plan on dip-netting cisco come prepared with waders and a change of clothes just in case you slip on the rocks and accidentally go swimming. Cisco are also being caught (snagged) in good numbers by boat anglers using spoons jigged right on the bottom off the rockpile near Gus Rich Point. Another good spot that you may want to try this season will be off the new rock piles just north of the Utah State Park marina. Remember any other fish that may be foul hooked while snagging cisco must be immediately released. [#ff4040]Read the proclamation for the complete rules and regulations.[/#ff4040] The daily and poscession limit is 30 cisco and this will be strictly enforced. The Bear Lake UDWR office has begun updating the telephone answering machine with the latest cisco run conditions. PLEASE CALL AFTER 4:00 pm SO THE PHONE WILL NOT HAVE TO BE ANSWERED BY OFFICE STAFF. (435) 946-8501[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]Try fishing for cutthroat trout and whitefish off the west side of the lake at the rockpiles in about 36-40 feet of water. Tube jigs tipped with cisco are the best bet right now for cutts and try using Swedish pimples, castmasters, and other jigging spoons in smaller sizes for the whitefish. You might also try using a dropper with an ice fly tipped with a waxworm or mealworm about a foot below the castmaster. [/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black]There is approximately 10" of snow on the ground in the Garden City area and about 4" of snow along the east side of the lake. Conditions are winter-like and very cold, so come prepared. There are some sheets of ice floating on the lake, so be cautious when launching and motoring to your fishing spots. The Cisco Beach boat ramp is available for launching all sizes of boats, but you need to make sure you keep an eye on the weather since there is no protection from the wind if you choose to launch at Cisco Beach. The Utah State Park marina continues to have deicers running and the marina is partially ice, but boats can still be launched at this time. The boat ramp is snow covered and slippery. Come prepared with chains and 4 wheel drive for launching boats. Beach launching smaller boats is possible off the Gus Rich and Ideal Beach areas, but the shoreline areas are covered with snow and the beach has soft sand under the snow, which can be difficult to drive though. Use these areas at your own risk. [/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[Wink] Hey Scott,

Good to hear, I will be up on Saturday.

see ya !

RILEYFISH
[signature]
Great news Scott, thanks for posting the report. The way they were moving into the Rockpile on Friday, I had a feeling they would be on the East shore by this weekend. I hope I can make it up there this weekend.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Scott![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When is the Cisco Disco? Thanks![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
The infamous "cisco disco" will be held this Saturday, Jan 21st. We start around 7:30am and go until our food supply is exhausted (usually around 9:30-10am). Stop by and say hi if you're up to Bear Lake on Sat. Also, watch Doug Miller's show on Saturday night (Jan21st @ 11:00pm). We filmed a spot on cisco run, conditions, and what to expect on Bear Lake this winter.
[signature]
Is cisco good eating or is it more for bait? I figure this is a dumb question
[signature]
Thanks for he post scott.

1) ARe chains going to be essential for marina (since this last storm?) or will just bringing salt and shovel be ok.

2) Other than risk of weather problems, is launching on east side easier than marina (is east side less snow packed and therefore doesn't require chains?).

3) anyone know an easy, good recipe for cooking fresh cisco (temp, salts, cutt of heads? or gut them at all)? Do you eat right through their bones?

Thanks
[signature]
To answer your #3 question, this is a PM I got for Scott a few days ago when I ask him the same question. I thought they tasted OK but I like the whitefish better. I hope you don't mine me sharing this info Scott.
"I use sissors to cut off their head and open up their gut cavity. I then scrape the few guts they have with my index finger. Then I take a knife and knock off some of the scales, you don't have to get all of them. I rinse them with water and drip dry them on paper towels. I then mix up breading: equal parts of flour, pancake mix, and corn meal. Season the breading however you like. I then drop the bodies of the cisco into a zip lock bag with some of the breading and shake them to coat them all over. (I don't use eggs, only the moisture on the fish). I then deep fry them in hot oil and turn until they look done. If the cisco are small you can eat the whole thing bones and all. If they are larger you can kinda eat them like "corn on the cob" by munching on the fish away from the main backbone/rib bones. The tail is the best part. Tastes like a potatoe chip. Good eating!!!"
[signature]
I don't know if you'll need chains or not. I saw one guy pull his boat out and never spin a tire without chains yesterday and when he launched this morning. He has good tires and it was bitter cold, so the ice was not as slippery as it would be if the temps were up around 32 degrees. Personally I have never had to use chains but I have a small boat (16' aluminum) that doesn't weigh very much. A heavy fiberglass or welded aluminum boat might be a totally different story and you may need chains.

It will be easier to launch on the east side since the ramp has less snow (~2") but you need to be mindful of the wind. Loading a boat can be a mess if the wind picks up.

Glad the cisco recipe was shared with everyone!
[signature]