Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Brown Trout
Fished the Gorge for a while on Saturday. Spent a few hours chasing the kokanee with no luck...then the wind kicked in. Spent the rest of the day hiding out in the bays trolling crankbaits and pop gear with spinners. Picked up quite a few rainbows and a nice brown trout. The planer board was the ticket as usual. If anyone knows where the kokanees are this time of year, please post or PM me. Specifically, how deep and what part of the lake.
[signature]
Nice looking Brown. I'm surprised more of them are not caught up there. Perhaps the Lakers are just too efficient of a predator. Good luck on your next trip.
[signature]
beutifull brown... i love catching browns like that.. they are hard to find in reserviors... but if you know where to look they are around. i got one at deer creek 2yrs ago near the island, i was throwing rapalas from my canoe and wham.. it was in around 20ft. of water. i fought it for 20mintes before i even saw the behemoth it went 14lb or so.. i let her go, so she is still in there. i also found a dead one there that was at least 20! maybe one day this year i will head up there and target only them. just use some huge rapalas.

JOe
[signature]
NICE FISH
[signature]
Kokanee fishing is ify this early. Try Hideout. Before you wet a line, you need to graph a school of them. They're easy to distinguish as there will be a bunch suspended in 25'-45' of water. Once you graph a school, start making passes over them and try to stay on the school as it moves. Stagger your rods to cover a variety of depths.
Nice fish, thanks for posting the pictures.
[signature]
[shocked]em... wanklovic knows gorge brown, wanklovic knows gorge brown catches many caps fishes...[blush]
[signature]
Pretty fish ,is it about 19" or 20"?
[signature]
When you use planer boards are they attached directly to your line or do you use a seperate line w/ masts?
[signature]
21" & 3.1 lbs
[signature]
They are attached directly to my line. The tip of the pole is kept straight up to keep the line off the water. I watch the board for hits, not the pole. A good fish like that one will completely detach the board from the line when it hits. It helps to have a long handled net to retreive your planer board with.
[signature]
Can I get a brand name and model # for the boards you use? Do you have to use a higher test line with a planer board?
[signature]
I use the Off Shore brand side planer boards. They run about $25 each. With those you will need to choose between a right and left running model. I have both, but use the right one the most. I use 14 lb+ test line. I prefer the heavy release clips. When I use the planer with my braided line (30lb Power Pro) I have to wrap the line around the side clip once. The Offshore boards have worked well for me, even in 3 foot white capped waves...(too bad my boat doesn't handle the waves as well as the planer). The planer boards are very effective for the wipers at Willard. You can also use them with lead core line, I've done well on the Lake Powell stripers this way. They also are great when the trout are in close to shore in the shallows... I will run the board 3 to 5 feet from shore with a shallow running lure (rapala). Also good to run them along cliffs.
[signature]
nice lookin' fish
[signature]