Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everybody - Do the Kolob Shuffle! -- Kolob Reservoir Report 4-23-04
Powermaker and I got out of vegas about 3:45 am today headed to Kolob Reservoir near Zion National Park . .. Powermaker's first trip! Got there and immediately towed a guy out of a snowdrift . . .wind was hitting us in the face about 20 mph, and didn't let up most of the day, the sun came out for a while in between clouds, temp never got to 40 . . .We had slow but steady success until we left at 4pm, although got nothing from about 12-2. All the fish were between 14-18 inches except powermaker's 20 inch roe laden sweetie! We caught almost all the fish on brown wooly buggers, with and without gold beadhead . . . the bite was usually quite light, although the last few we caught hit savagely . . [center][Image: kp0.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp1.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp2.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp3.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp4.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp5.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp6.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp7.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp8.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp9.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp10.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp11.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp12.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp13.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp14.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp15.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp16.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp17.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp18.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp19.jpg][/center] [center][Image: kp20.jpg][/center] [left]to top it off a fantastic day we saw 10-15 elk bedding down as we left the mountain! Hopefully Powermaker's pics came out![/left] [left][/left] [left]sm[/left]
ps oh the kolob shuffle is the interpretive dance you perform when wiping off snowshoe sized chunks of mud and rocks from your boots after fishing kolob!
[signature]
Nice report, to bad those fish don't stay that fat all year long.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] You forgot to mention the massive crawdad you managed to angle into shore and released unharmed. Yeah, the wind made it a bit chilly but it wasn't too bad. NOTE TO SELF: Do not get hands wet! (Dually noted). The photos I attached are of the Elk Southernman mentioned and the crawdad I saved from certain perilous demise, he was lynched with heavy fishing line to a dead bush I hooked into and managed to pull to shore. Since Southernman is usually the one taking all the pictures of everyone else I thought I would throw in one of him. Now only if I can remember to take one of him when he has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth like all the pictures he takes of me. Anyway, I had a great time, truly a must do again. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Man, nice trip and some fine, fat rainbows! They sure have nice color! There was no lack of catching on that trip![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey Tony!, I finally got my camera yesterday so we can try the video posting when I figue how to work the confangled thing! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Again, nice report on a fun trip![/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Very nice trout!! That is a lake I have to try in the near future. I could have a blast with the flyrod. Do they allow floattubes? How big is the lake? Thanks in advance and thanks for the pics.
[signature]
thanks BigE, its a fun lake, its one of the 'blue ribbon fisheries' in utah, only 1 trout 22 inches or larger, no bait or scents . . mainly fly fisherman, lots of tubers . . .boats too . . ive attached the info sheet . .

sm
[signature]
[cool]Thanks Southernman, a very informative article.
[signature]
well i've fished nevada and utah both and:

#1 its a good 5 hr drive to commins, in utah within 5 hrs of vegas is 100 beautiful lakes to fish . .not counting the streams

#2 commins sits basically right on hwy 93, with cars and trucks zooming by all day . . in utah you can be at 10000+ feet in the beautiful mountains, barely seeing anybody at all . .

#3 by June it will be hotter than hell in ely, while on boulder mtn it wont hit 80 and will be 40 at night . .great camping weather . .

its great to catch trout, but its unbelievable to catch trout at a lake you've hiked in to, not seeing anything but deer and squirrels along the trail . . .

sm
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"]Welcome "Guest" to the Nevada board. There have been several trips to most of the places you mentioned and they were posted here on BFT. With the exception of [font "Times New Roman"]Illipah [/font]all have been fished recently. Utah is just yet another avenue for a place to fish. Why not join up and when (if) you relocate to Ely, maybe you could show us some more places to fish. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"]David [/font][/size]
[signature]
Well that is good question and since I don't live in Nevada I couldn't answer that part but I do travel to other states for fishing. Southernman has some good ideas on this but for me it's the lure of a new place and different fish. I can catch 14" fish all day at the local places and not mean a thing when I get home but when I'm lurking a new place those 14" inchers will last forever in my mind. Just think about those trips you took to Montana, Utah and the trips to Ely. I think you'll find the answer some where in the flood of memories and fish.

I would say the fish are much smaller in Utah but for most people from Nevada, just catching anything is a miracle.
[signature]
First off, Southernman, what route do you take to Ely? I don't usually go faster than 80mph and I get there in a little over 4hrs. There are two ways to go. I don't know the name of the hwys, but one goes though Caliente and the other goes through Lund. The Lund way is much faster. You may already know this, but I thought I'd point it out in case you didn't.

I go to Kolob a bit soley because of the distance. When I only have a day to fish or I'm going with the family and the trip is not JUST about fishing I go to Kolob, or other nice spots in Utah, though I will say that Cave Lake is as pretty as it gets and has a really nice campground. If I have a couple of days to fish and I'm without the family, I head straight to Ely.

I have caught some absolutely huge fish at Ely and with regularity. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to fish elsewhere when I'm without the family. I also believe that the Ely area has some great scenery, albeit different than Utah's.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] So, I wonder if our new "Guest" is ever coming back? [/font] [/size] [size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
thanks telbone, ive seen the shorter route . . well I've never seen cave lake and it you say its beautiful, im willing to go camping up there this summer and try it out . . .its gotta be better than the highway . .

sm
[signature]
Hey southernman, Looks like a nice trip. Now all you got to do is learn how to operate a float tube in those conditions.[Tongue] Good job buddy.[cool]
[signature]
I"ll second that last part, no place in Utah is sacred any more. Same thing with the hunting. Everybody thinks a huge buck is around every corner, Ya right.
[signature]