Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tub Man
[#990000][Image: 409TubMan.jpg][/#990000]

It’s not hard to imagine Gerry House just sitting back and having a good laugh at our expense. While we spend so much time and money purchasing fishing boats with fancy paintjobs and powerful engines and fishing gear that is top of the line, Gerry just sits back in his floating tub with his cane pole and catches fish.

caught up with Gerry one day at Marrowbone Lake, a favorite fishing haunt of the tub man. As Terry says, when Gerry wants to go fishing, he just picks up his boat and goes. In this case, the boat is a tub placed inside an inner tube. The contraption keeps Gerry floating and his cane poles with cricket-baited hooks keep the fish biting.

Makes you stop and think about who really is having the most fun - those who use their horsepower to race to a favorite spot or Gerry House, who simply paddles and floats to where he needs to go on his favorite lake. Truth be told, probably a little of both.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Bro, thanks for sharing. Maybe we can get this guy to join BFT...and become TubDud.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]That looks pretty "high tech" to me. We can't see the stern on his craft. Do you suppose he might have a big outboard hooked up? Otherwise, I am thinking that he would be "toast" in a brisk breeze. The high profile on that thing would really catch the wind.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Seriously, that is how a lot of float tubers got started, by rigging up something on a plain old inner tube. That's how I did. Only I didn't have one of those big tubes. I just sat in the middle of an overinflated car tire tube at first. Then, I got a truck tire tube and played around with different seat arrangements.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Back in the 50's, some good old boys in Oklahoma made the first commercial covers for inner tubes. That was the Fishmaster company. They are still around, but don't get much of the market these days. All of the new designs and materials available have just about made the old "round boat" obsolete.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Still, it's great to see somebody "get back to basics". Thanks again, daymere, for posting that little gem on our humble board.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
it is just woderous the ingenous of man.
[signature]
I do see a serious problem with his set up. He has no fishing pole in his hand nor in his craft. Is this just a new form of torture or what??
[signature]
he is running tube lines..lol
[signature]
Looks like he has a fishing finder right up front. Maybe he is paddling with two fish nets thus leaving the middle man out.[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey George, how are you? Yeah, I know we talked about getting you up there, and the offer is still open. We just need to work out the details. I have been pretty much occupied with my mother recently, as she is recovering from a broken thigh at the end of March. Will be moving her into a new facility this weekend, and will have a bit more flexibility.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]No fishing this weekend, obviously. Next weekend we have planned a quick trip to Rocky Point, on the Sea of Cortez, to see what has changed since our last trip down there several years ago. Used to go tubin' down there all the time. Great place.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, May and June are usually prime time on the local lakes. We will be hitting Saguaro, Pleasant and Bartlett until it gets too hot and the summer doldrums set in. Then we will be going either to the high country or down to Parker Canyon down south.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My work schedule is working out so that we might be able to make a quick morning trip in the middle of the week sometime, if that works for you. I seem to recall that you live in Scottsdale, so I could easily pick you up on the way. I will email you and we can work out the details off this board.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the meantime, you should get registered here on BFT and then we can also use BFT to send Private Messages. Think about it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Tongue][#004040][size 2]How about a tub built for two? I think that they forgot to put the stopper in![/size][/#004040]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=4258;]
[signature]
I guess the stopper would be thier version of the bilge plug.
[signature]