Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brownlee dam
hows the crappie at brownlee?? im heading up there on memorial weekend to do some crappie fishing there...anybody wanna share some good spots there ????
[signature]
I was up there yesterday and did not do well. Probably location. Some were reporting 30 fish caught at North Powder area. Small fish. Not sure if we were using the right type of jig. First time to fish there. Any suggestions as to what most people use? Thanks
[signature]
The Crappie will be up very shallow along the bluff's spawning, should be really aggressive, anything was working last weekend, try chartruese tube body with a white/black/green head or just plain lead, double rig and fish it in the top 4' of the water column. Good luck,
Matt
[signature]
Anyone back yet with a recent report? Probably will give it a go tomorrow.
[signature]
[quote Duck-Slayer]The Crappie will be up very shallow along the bluff's spawning, should be really aggressive, anything was working last weekend, try chartruese tube body with a white/black/green head or just plain lead, double rig and fish it in the top 4' of the water column. Good luck,
Matt[/quote]

Actually, the cold snap from about 10 days ago put the fish deep again (15-25 feet) and turned the bite off quite a bit. But they are still catchable. Fish a heavy weight to get down deep quickly with a very small jig about 12 to 18 inches above. These have been working really well for me when nothing else will. I'm confident it is the size that is making the difference.

http://shop.northlandtackle.com/jigs/imp...bloodworm/
[signature]
Anyone been on the water in the last few days. Heading back tomorrow with my nephew. He doesn't get to fish much these days and I'm hoping to put him into numbers...............

Any current word will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
Cousin and I been fishing down on Hell's for the Crappies last couple of days. It seems the further down the system you go the better the fish.. but not so much the fishing... The numbers were not anything like woodhead or spring rec and the crappie proved extremely light biting and fussy but they are there. The quality was fantastic on both the black and whites and we also managed 7 other species too! I released this slab earlier this afternoon that was over 13" and I'm guessing around 1.5 lbs.
For numbers I would try Spring Rec or I have also heard great reports of crappie from CJ right now.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/data..._23_52.jpg
[signature]
Not sure where you heard your info on crappie at CJ but Tuesday it was anything but great. Three guys fished for 5 hours for 5 fish!
[signature]
I was up on Monday and launched from woodhead. Tried bluffs and various coves across the res from ramp and didn't mark any fish. Headed up the reservoir towards the powder river arm and fished the Idaho side coves and bluffs about a half mile down river of the powder. Struggled to find the big schools. Picked up about 25 crappie all day fishing in about 30 feet of water casting toward the bank and letting the jigs sink a bit and slowly retrieving. Fish were hitting very light, and were being fickle. We would catch 3-4 and think it was on and then it would turn off. The fish we caught were males that had appeared to have already spawned. They were nicer fish than I caught on the southern end 2 weeks ago, about 11 inches. But the huge schools found around the souther end of the lake weren't anywhere to be found. Searched around deeper water, entrances of coves, went really shallow, different types of structure and couldn't ever find the schools. Didn't notice other boats that had found them either. Good luck, hopefully it has turned back on!
[signature]