Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer Mast Set-ups and double planer boards
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Anyone have experience with double planers and mast set-ups? Cannon, Offshore Tackle, and Big Jon all have their variations. I know you don't see a lot of these in Utah but I'm considering setting my boat up with them. How do you like them and which ones have you used?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Dude, I bought my big boards last week, and I am playing with the mast.

I am thinking of using my "employment skills" to create some kind of a mast.

I have been looking at the store bought ones, but dont like the quality of construction, or the designs.

You know we can CNC our own mast's.

I was thinking it would be great if I could machine two small masts out of stainless rather than aluminum, and cut the bases to fit my cannon downrigger bases. That way I dont have to attach more crap, or drill more holes in my boat.

I bet we could put our heads together and come up with something more sturdy, and quality and cheaper than buying those cheap masts.

I doubt you will find anyone using them, most guys are content to rig in-line with heavy off shore boards.

I havent ever seen anyone in utah using rivieras, or church mast boards.
[signature]
This is a post for the great lakes area, Montana, and Idaho. Pend O' reille sees it's share of outriggers for the big Gerrard strain bows in the spring. On the "shows" they always say that they are using the stock gear and it seems to be holding up fine. I've watched plenty of trolling for Eye's on Erie using them.

I wish I knew more for you, but I have only used the smaller boards directly attached to the pole. Most of what I've seen were using the Offshore model, but the new Cannon is showing up more than the older ones did.
[signature]
My Brother ended up building his own - he is the welder-fitter and used his metal skills to put together a base/pole/pulley/brake system. He did endup buying the line that runs the boards - I think he was in the $60-$80 range for the mast when he completed it. The hardest part was the wingnut brakes, right sized pullies, and retreive handles. Of course the large sidepalanner boards run about that each.

I could get you some parts information and let you know if it something that would be interested in... Let me know - it did take him a few tries to get the configuration correct.

Good luck and I hope there will be enough water to run your boards this summer.....
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]With that said. You're exactly right. They are more commonly used in larger bodies of water like the great lakes but I can see some major benefits right here in Utah, even Willard Bay. Also the ability to rig multiple line to one planer board could be nice.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm tired of losing planer boards when fish hit or it starts to get rough. It's a pain to go back for them and those things are hard to find in 2+ rollers when they come off. I've lost them that way. Also the in-lines in rough water tend to roll. I also don't want to have to take them off when fighting a fish. THe fish releases from the board to reel in.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I can also see so drawbacks but I haven't used them to know exactly what a pain in the butt walking to the front of the boat is to reel in the planer or the coordination between planer and rod when sending it out. Probably just like a rigger. Anyway, it has me very interested in trying them out.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I have a mast and big boards that I use on certain lakes, but rarely in Utah. There just isn't that much of a need for them here with our waters, fish, and regulations. It's easy to troll 2 or even 3 in-line boards per side, so conditions have to be right for using big boards.

I prefer the Big John mast with dual cranks, and I like these boards... [url "http://www.friskyjennyflies.com/trolling-boards.html"]http://www.friskyjennyflies.com/trolling-boards.html[/url]

A lot of people like the Otter Boats, but they track too well and don't impart any action to the baits. There are are plans online to build your own boards, but I think you'd be wasting your time and money trying to build your own mast. After you factor in the cost of the pulleys, handles/spools, line, base, etc, you might as well buy new. Search eBay or Great Lakes fishing boards for used Big John masts. I have a seat post adapter for my mast, so no new holes are required. I mount it on my bow seat post.

Also, get as many releases as you can afford so you don't have to stop fishing to retrieve them. Plus, it's a lot of work and takes some time to have to reset your boards and all your lines.

Here's a pic that shows the mast... [center][Image: MyLund.jpg][/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks, Gumbo! I've thought about a single mast on each side of the boat so you wouldn't have to go forward but by buying a lot of releases would take care of that problem. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like the action the in-line planers put on a lure and think it helps a lot in it's presentation. I think the side planers get hit more often because of that very reason. I've looked at the outer boats and wondered the same thing.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I never really considered building them when $199 can hook you up with a double mast. I have the seat mount in the front of the boat that would be just the ticket for mounting the mast.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like the idea of getting 6 lines out and spread out (3 per side) and making a 150 ft swath when trolling. Plus the bigger board could handle a couple of deep diver cranks with no problems. With multiple fisherfolks on the boat, this allows everyone a chance to take advantage of their two pole permits.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Again, Thanks for the info. I think there is a place for these, even in Utah. It may be a little bit of an overkill but it would be the slick set.[/size][/font]
[signature]
The only real advantage of two masts vs one is that it's probably easier to connect your rod to the release. But you want your mast as high as possible and out of the way, yet easy to reachs the lines when attaching a new line.

The advantage of having a lot of releases is that you don't have to reel in the board as much to retrieve the releases. Getting a lot of lines out and cutting a wide swath is a good thing, but it requires two skilled guys and preferibly three--one to drive the boat, one to fight the hooked fish, and the other to reel in the inside lines when you hook a good fish.

Another diSadvantage of cutting a wide swath is that you're basically the same as a barge when it comes to turning--it would take almost the entire E-W width of Willard just to turn the boat around. That may be a bit of an exageration, but when you try it you'll know what I mean. And most Utah anglers don't know how to avoid this kind of setup. Heck, I have guys who almost run over my inline planers!

I've heard a lot of people talk down in-line boards since you have to fight the fish with a board attached, and fishing with big boards and a mast eliminate the issue--it's just you and the fish. And it's easier to spread out lines if you've got a half-dozen people in your boat (and they've all got 2-pole permits). But I've fished up to three in-line boards per side, plus another 3-4 straight out the back.

I guess you could just let your big boards out a short distance so instead of cutting a swath wider than the Titanic you have a more manageable set-up. But make sure you have some competent help in the boat.
I built my own boards and mast because I didn't want to go to the expense of commercial ones. They work great! I made the boards from a redwood plank from Lowes. The mast is a chain link fence post. The reels are my own design and made from aluminum. I have a lathe which helped make the reels look nice but anyone with some patience and a moderate amount of skill could reproduce them with a band saw and a drill. They each have a crank and a friction clutch. If there is any interest I could post some pictures.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Sure! I'd like to see your handy work! A lot of guys build their own planer boards and there are plans for them on the net. [/size][/font]
[signature]
[red][size 3]I pretty much did what you did. I fitted a fence pole with pulleys and the bottom to my seat seats and use a little scotty downrigger that I had to clamp onto the side of my rowboat clamped to the pole. I have two different sized boards made out of a pressure treated 2X6. It's cheap, and I only run one side but so am I (cheap and a little one sidded). [Wink][/size][/red]
[signature]
Here are the photos of my planer board setup. The reels are made of 1/8" aluminum with 2" spacers in the middle to make the hub. The spacers are 3/8" aluminum rod. I used six in each reel. The mount plate is 1/2" aluminum and the clutch pad is 1/16" craft foam. The clutch knob is a big wing nut from Lowes. The mast mount in the boat is a "U" bolt through the aluminum angle between the two consoles and an aluminum knob on the floor that the pipe fits over. The boards are 1x6 redwood and aluminum strap. I think I would put an angle of about 30 degrees on the leading edge of the boards if I were to do it again. They work fine though.
[signature]