Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Report
Updated Thursday, June 3, 2004. Little has changed in the way of fishing at Bear Lake during the last week. Fishermen who are paying attention to the depths they are fishing in are still doing well for cutthroat and lake trout. The majority of the fish are being taken in water less than 20 feet deep. Anglers are trolling parallel to shore and watching the depth very carefully. Most luck is coming in about 15 feet of water. Trolling with flatlines using rapala-type lures and deep diving crank baits are having the best success, however, it can pay off to switch lures until you find one that is producing better than the rest. Trolling speed is also important. This past week the slowest speeds have produced the best action. However, if you are not catching fish try slowly increasing the speed until you find a speed where the fish become active. It seems the fish are biting well around the entire lake at this time. Some of the more popular spots include: along the Boy Scout Camp on the east side of the lake and from the State Park Marina north to the "no fishing" buoys off the mouth of Swan Creek. If you are fishing with downriggers try setting them at 10-15 feet down and your lure about 75-100 behind the cannon ball. I have yet to see or hear of any anglers who have been jigging, but don't overlook this method, since it should also work. Try using tube jigs tipped with cisco and start fishing in shallow depths 15-20' and then keep moving deeper until you locate active fish. Fish can be found at all depths at this time of year since the water is still very cold and the lake is not thermally stratified. Since the weather has warmed up the fishing should really improve until the water begins to stratify.

The newly refurbished Utah State Park Marina is now open. There are two new launching lanes, a new vistor's center, a fish cleaning station, and additional bathrooms/showers. Anglers can also launch small boats off the low-water boat ramp at Cisco Beach and a dock is now provided at this site. This ramp is paved, but there is no protection from the wind and the concrete does not extend very far into the water.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. With all of the good info on here about Bear Lake, I just might have to make a trip out there this year and give it a try for the first time. If and when I can, I'll make sure to send out a message to see who I can follow around the lake to learn.[Wink]
[signature]